Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Ontelo: I have the Asus P5E Deluxe motherboard which does support crossfire at x16 speeds.

I don't remember the name of my PSU but at the time of purchase it had gotten several good reviews on the net and I've never had any problems with it - I was just thinking on upgrading to a modular one at the same time since I'm tired of all the unused cables :-P

With regards to CPU - ArmA 2 should be optimized for quad cores, I just don't know how big an impact it'll have going from an E8500 to a Q9550/9650 ?

Well like I said before go for max GPU memory. Bigger resolution = more GPU memory required

^ hmm I think I agree. Ok 2GB 285 it is then. Now I just have to find one in stock...

Ontelo: I have the Asus P5E Deluxe motherboard which does support crossfire at x16 speeds.

yeah P5E includes X38 chipset which is just fine with crossfire.

Intel ® Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHZ 2.34 GHZ

RAM: 4GB

32-bit operating system

Windows Vista

Nvidia G-Force 9800 GT

Samsung SyncMaster P2250 monitor think it's 22/24 inch

Been playing it on default settings but high resolution... it looks good but doesn't feel that good when enemies come on screen. They are kind of jumpy, horribly so online.

What settings and resolution should I play at with this computer?

It feels just like I'm on an Arma 2 server, everyone ignores me...

Hello......

Anyone there.....

Ontelo: You mean X48 chipset, right? :-P

If anyone knows if this is worth it please tell, as I've already put it in the shopping basket at my fav IT dealer on the net, just need to fill out the details :-D

Ontelo: You mean X48 chipset, right? :-P

If anyone knows if this is worth it please tell, as I've already put it in the shopping basket at my fav IT dealer on the net, just need to fill out the details :-D

No... Asus P5E has older X38 chipset. P5E3 would be using X48.

Skytrek, your's is a special case: You are bottlenecked by both.

For most users up to resolutions of 1920x1200, and with cards like the 8800GT or better, the bottleneck in Campaign and heavy AI-coop missions will be the CPU.

But since you want super high resolution, and A2 uses a lot of shaders, you are ALSO bottlenecked by the card.

IMHO you need both a current CPU (something like half a year old Intel Quad or Dual, not necessarily the newest and most expensive) and a fairly LARGE graphics card (GTX285 1GB or similar ATI) to break above 30 fps avg. with your screen and in AI- heavy missions.

If you can live with smaller editor missions and smaller default missions, you can only swap the GPU.

It's one reason why I'm not tempted by 30" - that resolution is a killer.

Thanks RussianGuy

My system is an Desktop, unfortunately. I'll wait and buy ARMA 2 later on after my next PC purchase.

Thank you for your help!

Alphadriver

Thanks RussianGuy

My system is an Desktop, unfortunately. I'll wait and buy ARMA 2 later on after my next PC purchase.

Thank you for your help!

Alphadriver

you will be able to run the game but your cpu i would OC it to at least 2.2ghz , maybe you could run the game on low. so i dont know

It feels just like I'm on an Arma 2 server, everyone ignores me...

Hello......

Anyone there.....

Play around with the settings until you find something that works smooth? Seriously, there's so much variation from one PC to another, nobody can tell you what the best settings for you are.

Skytrek, your's is a special case: You are bottlenecked by both.

For most users up to resolutions of 1920x1200, and with cards like the 8800GT or better, the bottleneck in Campaign and heavy AI-coop missions will be the CPU.

I can verify this is absolutely true. I put my specs/settings in my sig (long perhaps, but better than retyping them all the time). My frame rates are horrible at 2.4ghz, better at 3.3ghz and super at 3.7ghz. During this I actually lowered the factory overclock on my video cards down to near stock settings to maintain ArmA2 stability.

For me, at 1680x1050 it's all about CPU.

Hello, im looking for a laptop that would be able to run Arma II, and other games of similar quality, but im on a bit of a budget, no more than £560 basically.

Now, the other catch, is that i can only buy from one of these two websites due to credit and such.

http://www.premierman.com/shop/product/window/show.action?order=N%3D4294927549%26LpgUid%3D11141410%26Ns%3DP_PriceFrom%257C1%26fdd%3Dtrue

http://www.jacamo.co.uk/shop/product/window/toplevel/show.action?N=4294938496&LpgUid=11152076

Now, the thing is, i know very little about laptops, and these websites give no information on the graphics card/chip inside. Can anyone shed and light or offer suggestions?

Cheers

Hello, im looking for a laptop that would be able to run Arma II, and other games of similar quality, but im on a bit of a budget, no more than £560 basically.

I do not think Laptops are good for gaming and plus they might get too hot and get fried. save it for basic use.

Anyways, my question is, I added 2 more GB of RAm to my pC which should sum up to 4 GB but my computer reads only 3.24 GB. some say XP has RAM limitation, is this correct?

You'd have a hard time buying a desktop for that money that can run ArmA II, I think you can pretty much rule out the option of getting a laptop for that money that can run ArmA II.

Doesn't have to run it on high, jus low, anything really as long as it works :P

I currently have 2 gigs of ram, an AMD 64 3000+ (1.8ghz), and a Nvidia 6800GT, and it barely runs, so ideally, a laptop that is the same, or better running than that, im sure thats possible for £560.

I do not think Laptops are good for gaming and plus they might get too hot and get fried. save it for basic use.

Anyways, my question is, I added 2 more GB of RAm to my pC which should sum up to 4 GB but my computer reads only 3.24 GB. some say XP has RAM limitation, is this correct?

That is correct, 32bit operating system. Vista 64bit or XP 64bit allows memory utilization above 3GB.

Doesn't have to run it on high, jus low, anything really as long as it works :P

I currently have 2 gigs of ram, an AMD 64 3000+ (1.8ghz), and a Nvidia 6800GT, and it barely runs, so ideally, a laptop that is the same, or better running than that, im sure thats possible for £560.

Low end laptops use integrated graphics, which are really really slow. You aren't going to see anything that could match the power of your 6800GT (let alone go faster than it) untill you spend maybe £700-800 or so.

Easily!

My setup is

AMD Phenom X4 9500, 4gb DDR2 800 and Evga Geforce GTS 250 Superclocked (1gb)

and im getting 30-40 FPS on high settings @ 1680x1050. Although my GPU tends to overheat after an hour or two of playing. And online play tends to cut the FPS is half.

Im not sure why people need to dish out big bucks to play.

Edited by capdavis

Went form a 8800 gts 512 to a gtx275 and performance sucks big time.

I can up a bit some things but thats about it.

If i set to low or medium some of the features its un playable due to constant frame drops.

Ive got physx disabled, and vsync off.

1680 of course

E8500 @ 3800 estable

Edited by DLcmdr