Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Intel ® Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHZ 2.34 GHZ

RAM: 4GB

32-bit operating system

Windows Vista

Nvidia G-Force 9800 GT

Samsung SyncMaster P2250 monitor think it's 22/24 inch

How should this run it? Just got it for my 21st birthday.

If you have a 2 quad 2.33 ghz and 2.34 does that mean your computer is 4.67ghz?

Where does my graphic card lie with all the others?

Anything else you need to know? ta

Hi guys

Low budget here, due to other prioryties, don't ask XD

current specs:

CPU 3.00GHz LGA775 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 630

RAM 2GB Kingston DDR2 4200

VID 8600GT 512MB ECS GeForce GDDR2

WINXP SP3

Believe it or not that is my main 'game' PC

I can run ARMA at maximum detail, all Very High @ 3000m view distance with 40-32 FPS going down to 22-25 FPS in heavy Forested areas, I'm talking only about arma as other games run superb, (cod4, cod5, il2-1946, farcry2)

I can upgrade to:

Coreâ„¢2 Duo E8400(C0) 3.0G (6MB,1333,Socket 775)

4GB RAM

ECS NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 512MB DDR3

WINXPSP3

Would I be able to run ArmA2 at, let's say, 30FPS?

regards

^^ This is totally seperate, calm down. This is just people comparing what settings they can get their systems running at, and at what framerate. It is nothing to do with

"will my system run this".

Think of it as a thread dedicated to car fans. They are not saying:

"Will this engine make my car go faster?"

They are saying:

"With this engine I can go this fast in my car, how fast is yours?"

Totally different imo.

Intel ® Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHZ 2.34 GHZ

RAM: 4GB

32-bit operating system

Windows Vista

Nvidia G-Force 9800 GT

Samsung SyncMaster P2250 monitor think it's 22/24 inch

How should this run it? Just got it for my 21st birthday.

If you have a 2 quad 2.33 ghz and 2.34 does that mean your computer is 4.67ghz?

Where does my graphic card lie with all the others?

Anything else you need to know? ta

It will run it fine. Happy Birthday by the way, it's mine too today :D

@waffen:It should run reasonably well. I have a slower PC and it runs fine. That said, some people have much fancier PCs and they dont run as well...

Edited by echo1

I was experimenting with different settings to find the best looks with acceptable performance and found something weird.

Let's start with my system specification:

Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

3 GB RAM 1066MHz

ATI HD4870x2

Rest is not so important...

My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1200, but playing at that resolution gives quite bad performance if some settings are turned to "high" or more. It's playable, but my eyes hurts after 30 minutes of gameplay.

So i tried to set smaller resolution. At first i set 1680x1050. (In ATI ccc panel i set that image scales to center of monitor, so i get smaller screen, but at least resolution is correct.) Perfomance got better. It was trully playable on all settings on normal, only Post process was disabled (it fixes mouse lag for me.) and object detail to very high.

After that i tried something different. I set resolution to 1600x1200 and aspect ratio to oldschool 4:3. Guess what... I got very good performance increase. Now i set all settings to very high (Post process disabled) and i have better performance than all to normal on 1680x1050 resolution.

I don't see logic here...

1600x1200=1920000 pixels

1680x1050=1764000 pixels

Difference is 156000 pixels...

So how resolution with more pixels gives better performance than resolution with less pixels? And with better settings...

My guess is that Arma 2 engine is based on Operation Flashpoint engine. At that time widescreen was not so common and game's engine natively supports 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions. Resolutions with aspect ratio 16:9 or 16:10, I think, was added later with some weird implementation. Just my guess...

What do you think about it? Try yourself and please tell about your results. Just curious is that "bug" only on my system or not. :)

P.S. I didn't check actual FPS increase, but I can see the performance improvement for sure.

Edited by Bono_LV

This is just people comparing what settings they can get their systems running at, and at what framerate.

Which is also what the pinned thread is for......

thx for the reply booga couldnt find anything though.I just wondering how all these people with I7 920s are getting over 5000 in arma mark and i can only manage 3000 could it be my HDD.

Doesn't happen in my game. My monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024 and since my machine is not powerful enough for constant 30fps i run the game at 1280x800 16:10 aspect ratio with black bars top and bottom and it drastically improves the FPS for me. Maybe not the best comparison as you're running higher resolutions but the principle is the same.

Just upgrade my pc all installed and working fine i uprgaded my mobo ram and cpu to a core i7 920 just ran arma mark and didnt see much improvement from my dual core athlon 6000+ i got just over 3000 where my athlon would get around 2400 anyone no what could be wrong i would excpect it to be higher than this.

You should probably try overclocking the i7 chip you have if you have proper cooling. That's where it shines at 3+ Ghz. ;)

If I had a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 what specs could I run AmeA2 on?

High? Medium-high? And what view distance?

Just did the test and have confirmed my suspicion and that is crossfire makes no difference in this game....

Did the Arma2 bench with stated settings and got:

2736 with crossfire enabled

2732 with crossfire disabled

CPU - I7 920

RAM - 6GB generic

HDD - Velociraptor x2 in raid 0

GPU - 4850x2

OS - Vista 64 bit

RES - 1680x1050

I am now depressed, I paid several hundred dollars for an extra graphics card that is now as useful as a house brick....Specifically for this game.

If I had a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 what specs could I run AmeA2 on?

High? Medium-high? And what view distance?

medium-very high depending on settings

biggles - I got an I7 - 4 gb and a GTS250 - runs great - you should have no issue.

I was just wondering if anyone has done any tests to see which OS would give the best FPS in A2. Would be interesting to see the results.

Xp is fastest over vista and windows 7. There are a few cases of win 7 64bit out shining xp, but its rare.

win xp and vista are a no go for me.

i say win7 is the place to be right now in xp i got 22fps vista 26fps and in win7 build 7100 i got 40+ fps.

this moring i installed win7 build 7264 and set up a raid0 and i wil instal arma2 in about 10mins and check what performace i get now whit the new win7 build and raid0

I don't know if the peformance of XP is sufficiently better than Windows 7 to outweigh the fact that Windows 7 is overall a more pleasant to use and more stable (at least in my experience) OS than XP. Plus you get things like support for DX10/11 etc.

Either way, don't use Vista :p

@Richieb0y: I've read that the beta/RC keys don't work on that build. So don't make it your main OS.

Edited by echo1

@Richieb0y: I've read that the beta/RC keys don't work on that build. So don't make it your main OS.

lolz search the web there alot of ways to make it ur main OS:yay::yay:

win xp and vista are a no go for me.

i say win7 is the place to be right now in xp i got 22fps vista 26fps and in win7 build 7100 i got 40+ fps.

this moring i installed win7 build 7264 and set up a raid0 and i wil instal arma2 in about 10mins and check what performace i get now whit the new win7 build and raid0

Wow that's an impressive FPS increase!!! :eek: Is this playing with bots, or were you just testing in an empty server?

I was just wondering if anyone has done any tests to see which OS would give the best FPS in A2. Would be interesting to see the results.

224 pages of results...

Just did the test and have confirmed my suspicion and that is crossfire makes no difference in this game....

Did the Arma2 bench with stated settings and got:

2736 with crossfire enabled

2732 with crossfire disabled

CPU - I7 920

RAM - 6GB generic

HDD - Velociraptor x2 in raid 0

GPU - 4850x2

OS - Vista 64 bit

RES - 1680x1050

I am now depressed, I paid several hundred dollars for an extra graphics card that is now as useful as a house brick....Specifically for this game.

wouldnt get too down about it the extra card willl be a big performance boost for games alowing you to max them out and arma 2 may get multi gpu support later i think crysis for ATI cards was the same until a couple of months after release so it might of been worthwhile for arma anyhow.

I like how people are saying "I'm running all high settings" and forgets to mention what resolution they play with... It has huge impact on performance.

My system:

Q9550

3GB ram

4870x2

I have 24 inch monitor with resolution 1920x1200 but if i want Arma to look good i'm forced to use 1680 resolution... :S

Right so!

Even better to put the system specs into the signature - don't forget the resolution !

Wow that's an impressive FPS increase!!! :eek: Is this playing with bots, or were you just testing in an empty server?

i was playing a mission in the edtior but still i only get low fps in campaing

Buying new hardware for this game is like buying a penthouse for ur cat/dog...

I still try things to make the game run better and if u take ur time its worth it.

Currently running a E8400 at stock 3.00Ghz,HD 4850 and 4 Gig Ram on XP.

The game runs All on very high expect Motion blur(whats a nogo for me ) and AF which takes way too much performance.If i hear peoples with I7 and stuff got problems running the game smooth, u really should see that its absolut stupid to buy new hardware,up from a good Dual Core and a card like the 9800gtx or Hd4800 series just for this game;)Im pretty sure with the next patches(if BI make some good performance tweaks) i run that game nearly maxxed out like i do ALL newest games on my rig.

So i say,DONT waste ur money for new hardware JUST for this game!

intel i7-920 2.66 ghz 8m lga

1 tb sata 2 3.0 gb 7200 rpm hd

6 gb ddr3 pc3 pc133

asetek 120mm watercooler

120mm case fan

msi x58 platinum sli crossfire intel

samsung 20x dvdrw

16xdvd/52x32x52 cdrw combo

coolermaster 590 case

ultra cyberpower 800w power supply

vista home premium 64 bit

and an ati 4870 pci-e 16x 1 gb ddr5 video card..

....and i get lag sometimes!!!!!!! 8o

Edited by {S8G}Rub!c0n
blah