Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Having bought arma a few months ago i was well chuffed arma 2 was on its way and got it on the day of issue.

However since loading it up and patching it i seem to spend more time playing with the graphics controls and reading these forums to make it work properly.

I freely admit that I'm no computer expert and when people go on about turning the hobgoblin spanner five degrees to port etc it kinda leaves me cold.

Now i find myself going back to arma1 rather than arma2.

I think my system is good enough to run it.

Alienware

Intel®core(tm2)duo cpu e4500 cpu 2.20 ghz

4 gig ram

vista 32

Ge-force 8800 gts

Or maybe not.

My questions are basically.

Is there a problem with the game that BI are aware of and working on another patch.

Do i need to upgrade my system.

Or is it that im a retard and should buy a x-box.

In short I think it’s the game REALY could do with a few more patches

how high can i run this game with decent FPS?

i got

e8400 3.0 watercooled.

4gb ram

4870 512mb

500 gb space,

vista 64 bit home premuim..

what sort of lvl could i run the game then.. sinse the demo seems very hard to judge due to the hit and miss with the crashing via the direct x issues.

how high can i run this game with decent FPS?

i got

e8400 3.0 watercooled.

4gb ram

4870 512mb

500 gb space,

vista 64 bit home premuim..

what sort of lvl could i run the game then.. sinse the demo seems very hard to judge due to the hit and miss with the crashing via the direct x issues.

People need to post their resolutions along with their specs.

Id say if you are running it at 1280x1024 you should get a decent 40 FPS on normal/high settings. Will dip in large cities.

If you are on a high res like 1920x1200 your VRAM may be a weak link

For comparison, I run at 1920x1080 on high settings and get 40-50 FPS.

Specs:

Q9550 @ 3.5 Ghz

GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked @ 700/1490/1075

4Gb OCZ Blade

XP 32 bit

Id say if you are running it at 1280x1024 you should get a decent 40 FPS on normal/high settings. Will dip in large cities.

my monitor can go upto 1600x1200, but run 1280x1024...

and my FPS is........29, lol feel a little confused over that as i running the automatic settings which has me on normal, is this just badly optimised?

Put your terrain to LOW and lower your VIEWDISTANCE. Those two items will help your framerate. Don't think about anti-aliasing and set your fill rate to no more than 100%.

Your GPU is at the bottom limits of what I find tolerable in Arma1/2. Jumping up to a nvidia 260 or ati 4870 will give you a huge boost in frames.

Your CPU is a little slow - overclock it as much as you can get away with. ArmA2 eats CPU cycles like breakfast.

Basically do what richard said and if you can/want go for windows 7 it will give you a significant increase in FPS.

Basically do what richard said and if you can/want go for windows 7 it will give you a significant increase in FPS.

I've heard the opposite. Win 7 and Vista seem to not agree with ArmA 2 on some systems whereas Win XP seems to offer a slight performance advantage on most systems (if the troubleshooting section is a representative sample).

your graphic card is a wee bit on the low side there... if you turn everything down to its lowest and switch v-synch off in the nvidea control panel it should be playable... albeit itll look very much like arma..

I was wondering how well my computer could handle this game

Intel core cpu 6400 @2.13GHz

2.00GB of RAM

256 mb ATI X1300 Pro

161GB Free (288Gb total)

Dell DX061

Vista Home Premium

Edited by MarineSgt16

In your opinion, what is the best combination of Video Settings for the best graphical results? I don't really know what does what how, so I'm just looking for advice.

My Specs:

Windows Vista x64

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @2.66 Ghz 2.67 Ghz

nVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB

6 GB RAM

Ok, here are my soon to be specs, pending delivery from newegg:

AMD Phenom II x4 940

HIS H489F1GP Radeon HD 4890 1GB

G. Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1066

Biostar TA790GXB Mobo

Got it all for $452 and change shipped, am using current case/psu/other components.

Planning on running @ 1920x1080

Also, I have a AuzenTech AZT-XPCINE 7.1. Planning on running 5.1 dolby surround on a sony receiver. Works good with other games, how is the surround on this game for people who are using it?

How are the preset xbox 360 controller settings? Playable? while probably not as good as mouse/keyboard, does it work fairly well?

Anyways, so what kind of visual settings/fps could I expect to get. I'll plan on running through xp 32 bit based on what I've seen, and may try win 7 64 to compare as I'll probably eventually switch to that.

Instead of making my own topic, mind if I ask as well?

My specs:

Windows Vista 32 bit

Intel Core 2 quad core processor Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz

9800 gtx+ OC

3 gb of ram

Both of you... A combination of Medium and High settings. I'd say more on the Medium than the High side of the fence, though.

Hey, Im currently running an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT and I have to turn the graphics way down when I play. I just remembered I have a NVIDIA GE FORCE 8500 GT in my closet un-opened. Would the 8500 work better or not? Im not looking for anyones opinion on which company is better (which is what I always get), I just want to know which one of those vid cards would be better for running arma 2.

Edited by r1ckyr4y
title

Might be better, but it will still run like crap. That's a pretty weak card.

I was wondering how well my computer could handle this game

Intel core cpu 6400 @2.13GHz

2.00GB of RAM

256 mb ATI X1300 Pro

161GB Free (288Gb total)

Dell DX061

Vista Home Premium

256 mb ATI X1300 Pro?

Not a chance.

A new card and it should run ok, but not at high settings.

I recommend that you do not open the 8500 gt.

There is a hd 2600 xt on ebay selling for $31 with 12 hours left, your 8500gt should fetch around $20.

I would highly recommend selling both and looking for a good deal on ebay for a 8800 GT 512, GTX, Ultra, GTS, or an nvidia 9800 series.

the second 8 in the model number indicates a card for gaming basically.

I hope this helps.

8800 GTX are selling around $90 right now on ebay and they are still very good card.

I noticed the big performance killers are Anti-Aliasing and Shadows.

It sucks to see a lot of jaggies, but the performance is worth it I think.

I have:

Intel Core 2 Duo e6750

4 gigs of gaming RAM

and nvidia 8800 GTS (512mb)

I disabled vsync in my nvidia control panel. I also have Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering set to "application controlled" in my nvidia control panel so I can change them within the game's video options.

Once I start the actual game, and go into the video options:

I left the view distance at default, which was at 1600.

I run my resolution and 3d resolution at 1680x1050 because that's what my monitor's native resolution is.

I disabled anti-aliasing, and put shadows to "normal". I also turned off "post processing" completely because the motion blur and the blurry light effect (similar to bloom) makes me dizzy, I also turned way down the head bob in the gameplay options.

I put the "video memory" to "very high" because that equates to my graphics card setting (512mb) according to the game manual.

I have evrything else set to "high" and have been happy with the performance. Seems to be running very smooth for me, while still looking good. Like I said, it has some jaggies, but I can live with it.

I haven't tried the latest patch to see if it helps, but turning on any sort of Anti-Aliasing has been a total performance killer for me.

ok so i have gotten xp installed and so far it is working alot better then it was on vista, and i think im going to keep it its alot more stable of a fps and its at about 30fps with everything on high and res a 1680x1050. that and it seems like my system is running alot cooler then it did before, but idk what thats about. oh and im going off playing the campaign not the arma2mark, i cant find where that is.

I put the "video memory" to "very high" because that equates to my graphics card setting (512mb) according to the game manual.

Really ? What does it say about texture detail setting ? I also have 512mb gfx card and have german downloadable manual so i don't understand it.

Should try 64-bit Windows 7 as opposed to Vista. Vista is causing a lot of lag for people in both 32 and 64 bit forms.

i have used both and i havent seen much difference between the two.

Hey everyone, how would my PC handle the game?

Amd Phenom x3 @ 2.91GHz

3GBs ddr2 667

700 watt PSU

Current video card 9500 GT 512 (upgrading to 4870 512 or 1gb not sure which one to get and i dont run in Ubber resolutions. Usually 1280 x 720 )

Btw what card should i get the HD 4870 512mb or the 1Ggb??

Thanks in advance.

I don`t think that you would gain any significant boost in-game experience [graphics or FPS or whatever/] with changing the OS [32bit versions atleast].

Depends on what resolution you play, try just for scientific purpose running the game on complete max and run some fps monitor, then you can determine if you really need to change anything on your XPS. :cool:

... btw., tommorow I will try to make a OS sweep from Vista x86 Home Premium TO Vista x64 Ultimate and upgrading memory [sometime wednesday] from 2.5GB to 8GB [2x Kingston 4GB PC2-5300 200-PIN DDR2 667MHz] to see if it`s going to make FPS on Very High details in 1920x1200 playable :D

... well ...

I have changed my mind with the OS and made an upgrade to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate build 7232 and I really love it ! It`s not even a completed system, but kicks vista out of the game for me, fast, stable, great.

When it comes to arma 2 gameplay, I have gained about 4-7 FPS on 1920x1200, range 2,4km, 2/3 high, rest medium ... but I have also changed the RAM to 8.00 GB [from 2.5 GB], which might be the cause, but a great system indeed, can only recommend. :cool: