Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I'd like someone to comment on my specs. I think the GPU is probably the weakest link as I''m having trouble playing the demo even on the lowest settings. I believe the other specs aren't optimal, but hopefully I can play on "normal" settings if I gear up the GPU?

CPU: AMD X2 64 6400+

Mainboard: Asus M2N32-SLI

GPU: GeForce 8600 GTS

RAM: 4 GB DDR2

I'd like someone to comment on my specs. I think the GPU is probably the weakest link as I''m having trouble playing the demo even on the lowest settings. I believe the other specs aren't optimal, but hopefully I can play on "normal" settings if I gear up the GPU?

i have four GPUs and a OC i7@ 3.8-4.0, and i use normal at times too... I play at a few different resolutions, 1280/1024, 16/12 ,1920/1440 , your set up looks good at 1024/768-100% and low AA.?

Edited by kklownboy

Hey here are my specs:

Quad-Core Intel Xeon @ 2.8ghz

8gb DDR2 RAM

nvidia 8800GT w/ 512mb VRAM

320gb HDD @ 7200rpm

Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Now I am considering upgrading my GPU to an EVGA GTX 285 w/ 1gb of VRAM. Any idea how much this would help?

My computer runs most of the demo pretty well but starts to chug pretty heavily on the warfare mission or with everything on very high for the benchmark (read: 11fps??? in the benchmark w/ all on very high)

note that this is @ 1920x1200....

Thanks!

This is my rig:

CPU: 1.83 GHZ C2D

GPU: 8800M GTS w/ 512MB vram

4GB DDR2 RAM

Windows Vista 64-bit

I can run the game at a steady 27 fps during firefights on all normal w/o pp, aa, af, and at 1280x768. The benchmark clocked me at 24 fps though. Luckily, I can play a powerpoint presentation if I have to so long as I have fun.

I tried other resolutions in window mode, (image is not stretched looks best when trying diffrent res) to see the diffrence in frames, for some reason playing in window mode is very poor fps, could this be a bug, have a look at my results below.

16:9 ratios

========

57 fps 852x480 window

47 fps 1280x720 window

44 fps 1365x768 window

36 fps 1600x900 window

32 fps 1920x1080 window

===================================

60+ fps 1920x1080 fullscreen

ok so iv been working on getting my FPS up in Arma 2 for about 10 hours now, i dl the evga patch, the 1.02 patch, and did that -winxp thing to get my sli to work. so it works now and it really didnt improve my fps so i started mess with the vid setting in game and in the nvidia control pannel. i set my res and settings to as low as they went, i got around 12-30 fps but it mostly was under 25 ish. the i started just bumping things up because i read in another thread that some higher setting might increase the fps. so i put the res to 1024x768 and all other setting on normal with antialising and anisotropic off. i lost nor gained fps. so after keeping the res at the same and messing with the settings for a while, i was like f it ill just set everything to high put my res on 1680x1050 and see what happens. and BAM! i was getiing 20-50 fps and it only goes below 20 hardly ever now. i had left the antialising and anisotropic off and i decided to turn them on low, i didnt loose any fps at all, i put them on high and i lost about 2 or 3 and but it stays high most of the time.

right now im running.

EVGA 780i mobo

Q6700 oc to 2.8

8gigs of ddr2 800mhz oced to i think 844mhz

2xBFG 9600gt oc plus i oc them even more myself

vista 64-bit sp2

Edited by Futur3marin3

*snip*

Just curious if you don't mind me asking. I read your sig...why Windows XP 32-bit? You have 6 glorious gigs of RAM, but running 32-bit only picks up half of that. If you run 64-bit you will get all of it.

Just wondering..

Its funny you ask that, because im downloading the windows 7 64bit now, gonna try later, ive never bothered before, its working good on my xp, think im too scared to change :), i got 6gig because the mobo take tripple not dual memory, and its handy to have extra memory for the future.

Edited by ste4lth004

I tried other resolutions in window mode, (image is not stretched looks best when trying diffrent res) to see the diffrence in frames, for some reason playing in window mode is very poor fps, could this be a bug, have a look at my results below.

16:9 ratios

========

57 fps 852x480 window

47 fps 1280x720 window

44 fps 1365x768 window

36 fps 1600x900 window

32 fps 1920x1080 window

60+ fps 1920x1080 fullscreen

=================================== .

You will always get much lower FPS in window than playing in full screen. Really, you should always play high performance games full screen.

also how have certain ppl got Win 7? its not for sale till sept iirc?????

Hey there, new here, first post. I was looking at this PC, and I was wondering about how well it would play ArmA 2?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-920-ATI-HD-4890-1GB-2GB-DDR2-1066_W0QQitemZ160329957091QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item255468fee3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I'm going to upgrade to 4GB of ram, but apart from that, I think it looks good. Thoughts?

The release candidate is free and legal to try.

It's available here.

Hey here are my specs:

8gb DDR2 RAM

320gb HDD @ 7200rpm

Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Now I am considering upgrading my GPU to an EVGA GTX 285 w/ 1gb of VRAM. Any idea how much this would help?

My computer runs most of the demo pretty well but starts to chug pretty heavily on the warfare mission or with everything on very high for the benchmark (read: 11fps??? in the benchmark w/ all on very high)

Probably better off with a HD4890, better peformance, lower price. You should also know that Xeons are tweaked for workstation apps, so if you had a 2.8GHz Xeon and a 2.8GHz Core 2 Quad, the latter would be slightly faster at games. The difference isnt great enough to justify upgrading, but just for future reference, dont bother with Xeons. Unless you have some specific reason for it.

Hey there, new here, first post. I was looking at this PC, and I was wondering about how well it would play ArmA 2?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-II-...3%3A1|294%3A50

I'm going to upgrade to 4GB of ram, but apart from that, I think it looks good. Thoughts?

A friend of mine has a PC made by that crowd. The PSU in his one is pretty fucked up, and apparently they have a track record of using low quality PSUs, so that's something you may have to take into consideration.

Edited by echo1

Which is a better OS for my computer specs, Vista 32-bit or XP (SP3).

CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 2.30GHz Quad-Core

RAM: 4GB Corsair DDR2 800MHz

VID: Nvidia 9800GTX+

I just recently downgraded to XP from Vista 64bit and noticed a huge increase in performance, with this game. Now I know not all of my 4GB's of RAM are being used in XP, but I think the fact that I stepped back down to a 32bit System is what made a huge difference.

This is why I am wondering if going back to vista, where all my memory can be used, but keeping to the 32bit Version, instead of the 64bit version.

What do you guys think?

You noticed a huge increase in performance because vista sucks hard in what concerns performance, it has absolutely nothing to do with being 64 bits vs 32 bits, actually 64 bits is better than 32 bits since you have access to the 4GB of ram, also because things that use 64 bits are faster in 64bits, unfortunately arma like 99% of the games doesn't use 64bits. Basically 64bits is better than 32 bits, and XP is better for games than vista, and arguably windows 7 is better than XP for games, since windows 7 is faster than XP.

Hey here are my specs:

8gb DDR2 RAM

320gb HDD @ 7200rpm

Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Thanks!

If your going to buy a graphic card to play arma 2 go for the HD 4890 1GB it's better, also don't think that GTX 285 is really a good purchase right now, not only because you have the 275 and the 4890 that are pretty much the same thing at way better prices, but also because in the end of the year there are new graphic cards coming. But yeah a better GPU in there would help a lot.

You can download the release candidate (kind of beta) at microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx it will last you until july 2010 and after that it will start shutting down from X to X amount of hours until august 2010 where the windows will stop working, basically you have about 1 year of free windows 7 RC.

A new GPU should probably be enough.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-920-ATI-HD-4890-1GB-2GB-DDR2-1066_W0QQitemZ160329957091QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item255468fee3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Well the motherboard is a pretty cheap model, the PSU seems to be very shitty, you need to pay more for the 4GB's something that by a today standard computer should be already included, especially because DDR2 is pretty cheap, the price seems to be OK for the parts, but my opinion you should mount your one PC or find another one.

Alright, that seems fair enough.

Does anyone know where I can find a HD 4890 for cheap? The best price I can find, in the UK, is £160.

Edited by jeremiah22

cheers for the win 7 things fellas

think ill stick with XP pro for a while then get the full version later or use the Vista Ultimate 64 bit I got when I get better HDD and nother 4gb ram. might even treat myself to a new gfx card too.

billy

That's probably as cheap as you can get, unless you try eBay.

the store pixmania sells it a little cheaper but after you had the shipping fees you get pretty much the same price, 160£ is pretty much as low as you gonna get

Hey here are my specs:

8gb DDR2 RAM

320gb HDD @ 7200rpm

Windows 7 RC 64-bit

Thanks!

You will see a big jump animal with the 285 over the 8800gt good choice,

i think thats the right card for 1920 res, thats what im using 40".

CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2381 MHz (9 x 265)

Moederbordnaam Asus P5B Deluxe )

Video nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (Asus EN8800GTS) 640mb

Ram Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400C4 4gb total

and i run on vista 64bit, an ingame i have all on normal settings @1920x1200

and get an fps off 15.

What is my problem with my system?

Your system isnt powerful enough to handle the high resolution. If you turned it down, it would probably run fine.

I know you guys won't belive me but I have an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.4GHz with an XFX 9800GT and I was able to run the demo perfectly at Very High. I heard many people tell me that this games needs multiple cores, but I gues my Single Core P4 won. For those of you who still can't believe I made a video on YouTube of some gameplay on a single core.

SSv5BmjQNHU