Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

The HD2600 was a shit card when it came out about two years ago, and it has hardly improved with age. Most games around these days wont run well on one, so you can hardly single out ArmA 2 for being inefficient in this regard. In fact, with the latest patches, ArmA 2 runs quite well, I have a 9600GT and an Athlon X2, neither of which are top of the line, but it runs the demo at high details with little hiccups.

The hell?

I'm running it pretty good with no lag on my crappy E6550 2.33 ghz dual core, and my GTX 260, which is thankfully good.

I thought I'd need to buy a new processor... I'm not having much problems running on everything maxed out, although it does get uncomfortably laggy there. But, I do seem to get nice results on high. I'm going to go try the benchmark mission, and then I'll see what happens if I try to play some large scale battles.

Oh and I'm talking about the arma 2 DEMO.

Hai peoplez

My computer, being the old thing it is, won't run ArmA II, it's 3 years old, and it has a 6-series GCard. Now me being a serious gamer, wants to play ArmA II with minimal lag. I was having a look at Alienware, i heard it's a bit bad, but the prices are pretty good. So apart from Alienware, can anyone suggest to me a good PC, and i might get a new monitor too, to be able to blow stuff up, except bigger :D

I got my computer from www.cyberpowerpc.com , they have great prices. With an Alienware computer, you pay for the price. You can get a much cheaper computer from cyberpower, or even cheaper if you make the computer yourself. If you want to do that, I recommend getting parts from newegg.com , they have the best prices for computer hardware.

You will get a far more powerful system for the same price or less when you build it yourself. And it's really pretty easy to do. Agreed, Newegg generally has the lowest prices.

So it seems the cheapest and most effective custom built PC would be something along the lines of:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - $200

GeForce 8800 - $100 or more

4 GB, DDR3 (or DDR2) - $80 or less

But the motherboard? What motherboard would be good.

Hai peoplez

My computer, being the old thing it is, won't run ArmA II, it's 3 years old, and it has a 6-series GCard. Now me being a serious gamer, wants to play ArmA II with minimal lag. I was having a look at Alienware, i heard it's a bit bad, but the prices are pretty good. So apart from Alienware, can anyone suggest to me a good PC, and i might get a new monitor too, to be able to blow stuff up, except bigger :D

Alienware is over priced big time. I think you have enough information in this thread to get a system for this game.

Q6600 is a bit out of date. What about a Phenom II? And if you're going to build a new PC, I'd try and get something more powerful than the 8800GT, something along the lines of the HD4870 or 4890.

I have a quad core 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram, and a geforce 8500 gt graphics card.

Ive been having some trouble running the demo even on very low settings.

Not surprising. The 8500GTs are far below the minimum requirements for the graphics card. You'll need an upgrade.

Edited by echo1

Finally my new computer arrived! Finally I'm playing Arma 2. It had been colecting dust in my games shelf since June 19th! :yay:

So far, so good, in terms of performance. 1680x1050, everything HIGH, view distance 3600, 3d resolution the same (1680x1050) (could someone explain what's the difference between both resolutions and what they're for?).

I have a quad core 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram, and a geforce 8500 gt graphics card.

Ive been having some trouble running the demo even on very low settings.

The bottleneck, without question, is your 8500 GT. Unfortunately, although it satisfies the stated minimum requirement of a 7800, it is quite simply way below what's required.

Hey My birthday is Saturday, and I was curious. I havent looked into computers recently and was amazed how cheap they are now for a good gaming P.c. I was curious if you guys think this computer will be able to run Arma 2 good at higher settings. http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-DUAL-CORE-GAMING-PC-W-nVidia-9600-4GB-RAM_W0QQitemZ250349397459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item3a49fca5d3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Hey My birthday is Saturday, and I was curious. I havent looked into computers recently and was amazed how cheap they are now for a good gaming P.c. I was curious if you guys think this computer will be able to run Arma 2 good at higher settings. http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-DUAL-CORE-GAMING-PC-W-nVidia-9600-4GB-RAM_W0QQitemZ250349397459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item3a49fca5d3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Should be fine but i prefer you get a 6000+ Dual core and a ATi Card..not so sure how the 9600GT performs..

Hi all

My first post on this great forum.

Interface Res = 1920x1080

3d Res = 1920x1080

Texture Detail = Normal

Video Memory = Video High

Anisotropic Filt = Normal

Antialiaising = Disabled

Terrain Detail = Low

Objects Detail = Low

Shadows = Normal

Postproc Effects = Disabled

Aspec Ratio = 16:9 Widescreen

----------------

1st Run = 4752

2nd Run = 5526

----------------

Specs =

i7920 3.5ghz

gtx285 stock

6gig Ram

----------------

I am in the ballpark I believe. Anybody have experience with anything similar?

Windows 7 64-Bit

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

GPU:

SPARKLE GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express

Thank you for any responses! :cool:

this is what I got:

Gigabyte MB AM2+ SLi

AMD Phenom x4 9950 2.6GHz (140w)

2GB Corsair Dominator 1066MHz

Nvidia 9800 GTX+

120 GB hdd sata 150

120 GB hdd ata with the SATA converter

Win XP Pro 32

I have set things up to get it to run smooth and I keep experimentin. what do ppl think is the best settings?

Also in the video settings tab there is a bit for antialiasing??????? how the hell do you get to turn it on?

cheers

billy

Hi all,

I`m an owner of a system that doesn't fulfill the recommanded specs.

1,96 ghz CPU that should cripple my frame rate and slow ass 4x512 DDR400 RAM that should leave no hope.Yet the investment I've made in a 90$ ATI card a month ago has rocked my world after testing Arma 2 demo continuosly since release.

I only get minor stuttering in the benchmark and extreme situations.

I find the game extremly playable with the framerate oscilating between 21(worst case realistic scenario-no 1000 AI just real heavy firefights etc) and 32 FPS(less activity on the island-walking,scanning environment etc)

My settings:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5953/arma2fps.jpg

Arma 2 benchmark result with above mention settings: 26 FPS

Going lower does not affect gameplay in any discernable way,thus it's safe to conclude ATI 4770 card is an Arma 2 champ I whole heartedly recommend that handles everything Arma 2 has to offer in the eye candy department except for anti-aliasing which dips the fremerate a bit(2-3 FPS) and very high shadows(2 FPS).

I have no idea why some people get such piss poor performance in Arma 2 with rigs that trump mine into pieces.For me Arma 2 exceeded my expectations by tenfold in the optimization department, I can finally buy the game without hesitations.

I`m also excited to imagine what I could be getting in a month or so with a performance optimized Arma 2 patch,OC-ing my CPU some safe 300 mhz to 2,1 ghz and new ATI drivers.

Edited by quicKsanD

never mind the antialiasing lol found this:

if you need to turn on antialiasing to go User/Documents/arma2/arma.cfg and set FAA0 to FAA 1-4. Have fun. (only 1.02 version)

if you need to turn on antialiasing to go User/Documents/arma2/arma.cfg and set FAA0 to FAA 1-4. Have fun. (only 1.02 version)

That's been changed in the demo. As soon as we get an update for the full version, antialiasing should be fully implemented. :)

erghh i give up i have tried everything and i still get annoying freezes,lockups and crashes.. i do not know why the game would be causing such a thing when i play and run all other games fine...

I don't know what the problem could be and no one else is on the same boat as me :/

erghh i give up i have tried everything and i still get annoying freezes,lockups and crashes.. i do not know why the game would be causing such a thing when i play and run all other games fine...

I don't know what the problem could be and no one else is on the same boat as me :/

I see you've overclocked your CPU. Have you actually tested these clocks with a nice long stress test? If not, download Prime95 and let it max out your CPU for a couple of hours while you keep an eye on the temps. If your computer locks up or crashes, you need to increase your Vcore. If your CPU gets hotter than 65°c, you'll need to lower the Vcore and hope it's still stable, or (if not) lower the clock frequency aswell until you find a stable setting that doesn't run too hot.

Another important issue is gfx card overheating. I use RivaTuner to increase the fan speed on mine, because otherwise it gets really hot, which eventually heats up the entire system.

I see you've overclocked your CPU. Have you actually tested these clocks with a nice long stress test? If not, download Prime95 and let it max out your CPU for a couple of hours while you keep an eye on the temps. If your computer locks up or crashes, you need to increase your Vcore. If your CPU gets hotter than 65°c, you'll need to lower the Vcore and hope it's still stable, or (if not) lower the clock frequency aswell until you find a stable setting that doesn't run too hot.

Another important issue is gfx card overheating. I use RivaTuner to increase the fan speed on mine, because otherwise it gets really hot, which eventually heats up the entire system.

hmm yea i tried manually setting the fan speed to 100% but i can't override it since it won't let. Its programmed to run automatically depending on the temperatures but it won't read my fan speed or does'nt actually change my fan speed when i set it to a certain speed.

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-385.shtml

thats the card i have so i don't know. But my GFX Card temps never go over 50, idle is usually 30-35 and under load is 40-50

My cpu temps are only around 20-25 idle and 30-40 under load..

im going to try to increase my vcore, and see if it works