Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

So ARMA 2 is more GPU intensive than CPU intensive?... so upgrading my 6000+ dual core to something stronger wont necessarily improve my FPS?

I just bought the 4890 for ARMA 2 from my previous 8800gtx, but as I said, my FPS is around 26-32 depending on what I have going on around me.

Hmmm. Aside from ingame tweaks, what parts could be upgraded, but note, im not interested in dual carding.

Once again:

amd 6000+ dual core @ 3.01ghz

4 gb ram (only 3.5 taken advantage of due to XP)

1200 watt PS (overkill, but was cheaper than the 850watt!)

4890 1gb

Windows XP (32 bit, but I have access to both XP 64bit and Windows 7)

what do you mean? if it makes things run faster than 1 gig vidcard, why wouldnt I go for it, as a matter of fact, I'm thinking about it unless you tell me why you think it's not a good choice

I was thinking bout grabbing a second HD 4890, but rumour has it directx 11 cards are coming out sometime this year. Rather do a pair of directx 11 cards. Still a second one couldnt hurt for performance improvments once crossfire is optimized for arma 2.

It had been reported by testers around in several places I've found that the performance increase from 512MB to 1 gig (with the 2 cards otherwise being the same) resulted in very little difference. If you're debating between 2 graphics cards, doing a google on "X vs Y" is actually likely to yield good information. Bottom line is that there are a lot more important things in a GFX card than the amount of RAM it has.

Am really hard thinkin about what to buy for better running in ArmA2:

CPU: i7 920 or better wait for i5???

Mobo: Asus P6T SE

RAM: 4Gb DDR3 Corsair or maybe Triple Channel 6Gb

GPU: Nvidia GTX285

With this stuff ArmA2 must running smooth at high settings , what do you think?

thinking of upgrading to this card, anyone else using one ?

my system:

Athlon 64 3500+

4gb ram

abit av8 K8T800P motherboard

7800GS

- yes, I'm still using AGP !! :)

The 3850 is quite slow, and even if you did upgrade it, the rest of the system would be too slow anyway. You're probably better off saving up and getting a new CPU/motherboard/RAM as well as a graphics card.

I was thinking bout grabbing a second HD 4890, but rumour has it directx 11 cards are coming out sometime this year. Rather do a pair of directx 11 cards. Still a second one couldnt hurt for performance improvments once crossfire is optimized for arma 2.

Wouldn't bother with Crossfire. I mean, unless you have a 30" monitor or something, your card should be able to handle anything you can throw at it.

what do you mean? if it makes things run faster than 1 gig vidcard, why wouldnt I go for it, as a matter of fact, I'm thinking about it unless you tell me why you think it's not a good choice

It's not that they aren't faster, it's just that they aren't faster relative to what you spend on them. As has been pointed out above, the increase of VRAM doesn't really count for an awful lot.

Am really hard thinkin about what to buy for better running in ArmA2:

CPU: i7 920 or better wait for i5???

Mobo: Asus P6T SE

RAM: 4Gb DDR3 Corsair or maybe Triple Channel 6Gb

GPU: Nvidia GTX285

With this stuff ArmA2 must running smooth at high settings , what do you think?

Wouldn't bother with the Core i7. A Phenom II is probably a much better choice here (the Core i5s won't be much faster than the Phenoms that are out now). I'd get a X4 955 and a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard. You could probably save some money by going for a GTX275 and get most of the performance of the GTX285 for much less money. What PSU are you getting?

Edited by echo1

thinking of upgrading to this card, anyone else using one ?

my system:

Athlon 64 3500+

4gb ram

abit av8 K8T800P motherboard

7800GS

- yes, I'm still using AGP !! :)

Upgrade everything except for your ram. That means your mobo,gfx card and cpu. I just upgraded from that cpu,my 939 socket mobo,my 3850 512mb gfx card, 1gb of ram to the gig i have right now, Displayed on my sig.

Hi all,

I have a Athlon 64 3500+ (single core)

2 GB (4x 512 MB) Corsair ValueRam DDR400,

mounted on a Asus A8N-SLI Premium (s939... ><),

with 2x 7800GTX in SLI (but maybe not enough power behind, I don't know...)

I am planning to get a s939 4200+ (dual core).

With only that, do you think it could run somewhere around normal, low terrain settings, obviously forgetting about fillrate ?

Edited by Lou Montana

it will run on low-medium settings i guess, it would be playable with 20 to 25 fps

Upgrade everything except for your ram.

The RAM would have to go to, all motherboards these days are DDR2 or DDR3.

Hi all,

with 2x 7800GTX in SLI (but maybe not enough power behind, I don't ***now...)

With only that, do you thin*** it could run somewhere around normal, low terrain settings, obviously forgetting about fillrate ?

Suggest you upgrade your mobo,ram and cpu! i did that and i have'nt regreted it! get am2+ they cheap..

Hi all,

with 2x 7800GTX in SLI (but maybe not enough power behind, I don't know...)

With only that, do you think it could run somewhere around normal, low terrain settings, obviously forgetting about fillrate ?

It will definetly run on low details, but not on normal. Atleast the campaign and MP won't run at playble fps. I mean 20-30 fps stable.

I am currently running a AMD Opteron 165 1.8ghz @2.25ghz, 4GB of DDR1, ATI 4850 and I just put in a order on newegg for a new cpu/mobo/ram. On my limited budget I am getting a AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE, Biostar 790 chipset motherboard, and 4gb of DDR2 1033. This total setup cost me about $300, I was thinking about a Intel 920 combo, that that will run me for about $700, and looking at the reviews of games and gaming benchmarks, there isn't much of a difference between those processors. So that leaves me with more money for a new GPU, probably a DX11 ATI or Nvidia one that are coming out this fall. They promised DX11 cards for the windows7 release which will be in October.

where can I buy composents for computar low price? please

You could do a lot worse than try these guys.

http://www.cclonline.com/

Not sure if they export if your not in the uk though. Their prices and their service are great.

There's no real need for a 2GB card... It's mainly a marketing gimmick. By the time they become necessary, the current generation of cards will be long obsolete. A GTX275 would be a better choice.

I know it would. But it surpasses my budget.

Okay. So I put final thoughts into it.

With my current 8800GT and AMD X2 6400+ 3.2GHz

Which will be better. GTX260 or GTX275. Final thoughts before I buy.

I don't want to waste any money and be disappointed. Please

GTX275 is the better card, but if you can't afford it, a 260 would do you fine.

to pclipse read my specs, my game runs like crap i think its my cpu my gfx card is great at least i thought it was or maybe arma just dont like it, my last hope is for a total wipe of my system and not to reinstall the language patch and if its still crap the cpu will have to go and possibly a new hdd.

Just received my copy. Playing with the German to English patch.

It is possible to max out Arma 2 I am getting fps in Chernogorsk (Red Autumn mission) from high 25's to 30's range and possibly higher. This is with EVERYTHING maxed out. Specifications in signature. I am genuinely impressed with Arma 2 and on this graphic level and settings it's just beautiful.

Edited by Supernova

LOL your config is unaffordable. Life is unfair...;)

to pclipse read my specs, my game runs like crap i think its my cpu my gfx card is great at least i thought it was or maybe arma just dont like it, my last hope is for a total wipe of my system and not to reinstall the language patch and if its still crap the cpu will have to go and possibly a new hdd.

I think is your processor.... is doing a bottle neck to the gfx card.

You could do a lot worse than try these guys.

http://www.cclonline.com/

Not sure if they export if your not in the uk though. Their prices and their service are great.

thanks you but I live in Portugal = p

8800 ultra

quad core

4gb ram

vista 64-bit

Running at high/very high settings at 1680 x 1050

Game performs well with a solid 30/40 fps but when you place a lot of enemies and things start to go down fps goes averaging 20fps.

Campaign is almost unplayable with slow frame rate, even a 5 extra fps fix would solve the trick.

Its way better than back then when I bought ArmA 1 v1.0 in czech and getting 15 fps on an ati x800.