Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

how good will this run on my system

amd phenom x3 720 overclocked to 3.2 ghz

GA-MA770-US3

gtx260+ (216sp)

4gb ram

22 benq e2200hd

while i'm not familiar with AMD's chip performance per model, I imagine you should be fine, especially with that gtx260. There's been reporrts of people running the game quite well on old 8800gtx's. Granted without benchmarks you can't really see how "well".

I assume that's the Phenom II x3? Should be more than powerful enough to run the game :)

@ch_123 I can run Arma on maximum settings and still have smooth and fluid gameplay with no noticeable slowdowns or lag. OFP doesn't take advantage of my new hardware but I can still set it to maximum.

Edited by Supernova

I'm not entirely sure that how that is relevant here. Another petty round of "Look at me, I have a fast computer"? And I'd be slightly worried if I had a PC like that and it couldn't max out ArmA...

Btw, looking at your specs... did you go out and replace your Core i7 that you supposedly got 6 months ago with a new D0 stepping one that's only been availabe for the past month or so?

In that French preview article they said it was a system hog and had trouble getting above 25 FPS. Didnt say what system, but I think it was at BIS studios.

what do you do in the ARMA2 forums then? :P

Wishful thinking mate. And if I do upgrade, then I will definitely be playing.

In that French preview article they said it was a system hog and had trouble getting above 25 FPS. Didnt say what system, but I think it was at BIS studios.

Hmmm I guess most of us will have to run at low quality settings if the dev's pc cant break 25fps.. hopefully this is not the case!

Yapa

As long as the framerate is smooth and stable, 25fps is fine. In an ideal world, that is (which it's not, sadly). Of course it would be nicer to have stable 50fps. ;)

On the other hand, it's not unusual for early alpha/beta state games to be unoptimized in the performance department. I was an early beta tester for ET:QW and wow, that was a horrible experience. Everything on extreme low with 640x480 resolution and it still ran like crap on my card (7800GT back then I think). They optimized it later of course, and I expect BIS will do the same for Arma2.

Btw, looking at your specs... did you go out and replace your Core i7 that you supposedly got 6 months ago with a new D0 stepping one that's only been availabe for the past month or so?

Yes I did. I had a hard time finding the D0 920 as the suppliers mostly had C0's. I was able to find a guaranteed D0 stepping chip and let me say it over clocks much better than my previous 965 C0. I need little voltages to reach my 24/7 4.0ghz and I find that there is a small temperature difference. It's still quite a power hog but this new stepping is really for overclockers as it overclocks better.

Yes I did. I had a hard time finding the D0 920 as the suppliers mostly had C0's. I was able to find a guaranteed D0 stepping chip and let me say it over clocks much better than my previous 965 C0. I need little voltages to reach my 24/7 4.0ghz and I find that there is a small temperature difference. It's still quite a power hog but this new stepping is really for overclockers as it overclocks better.

You replaced a €1,000 CPU with a €250 model because it might be able to overclock slightly better? Woah, this makes the infamous "Bundeswehr officer" thing look believable by comparison...

Seriously, back on topic. If you don't have anything to add to this thread than don't bother posting. We don't need the thread getting locked again.

Hey guys, hoping you can bring a wee bit of sanity back into my world. I'm in the process of buying parts and building my 2nd pc ever. Here's what I have/am looking at:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W PSU
  • OCZ OCZ3P1333LV3GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz (3GB)
  • ASRock X58 Supercomputer

I'm stuck on the video card. I am not going with watercooling, so I don't want something that will run so hot that my computer just goes up in flames here--hehe. I've read where some cards were actually blowing some of the hot air into the case as well, which is a bit disappointing obviously and something I'd wish to avoid. I was looking at the HIS Hightech H485QS1GP Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4 (1GB).

I was wondering (and hoping) that this card would be able to handle ArmA 2 pretty well (as well as ArmA 1) without having to put everything on low.

I would give Nvidia a chance too, but I never had one before and seeing some cards in the $300 bracket also tends to have me sticking with ATI. :oops:

Any help you guys could offer would be great help. Thanks in advance! :)

Betsalel, its hard to know what the game will run like... but the official recommended specs are an 8800GT or above.

Now an 8800GT is slightly slower than a HD4850, that means you will just be in on the recommended specs. Also remember that those recommended specs are usually much under what you really need to turn on all the settings.

I would not go with anyone lower than a HD4870. With games (and ARMA2 in no exception) you really need to invest most of your $ into the GPU/Video card.

Buy the most expensive video card you can afford to play ARMA2 at its best settings.

Yapa

Hey guys, hoping you can bring a wee bit of sanity back into my world. I'm in the process of buying parts and building my 2nd pc ever. Here's what I have/am looking at:

• Intel Core i7 920
  • SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W PSU
  • OCZ OCZ3P1333LV3GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz (3GB)
  • ASRock X58 Supercomputer

I'm stuck on the video card. I am not going with watercooling, so I don't want something that will run so hot that my computer just goes up in flames here--hehe. I've read where some cards were actually blowing some of the hot air into the case as well, which is a bit disappointing obviously and something I'd wish to avoid. I was looking at the HIS Hightech H485QS1GP Radeon HD 4850 IceQ4 (1GB).

You definitely don't need a 1000W PSU unless you are planning on building an SLI/Crossfire system (which is a pretty bad idea to begin with). I'd go for a 600W or so unit (personal recommendation is the Corsair HX620) and use the money you save to get a faster card. If you're an ATI man, the choices are either a HD4870 or HD4890. I'd really try and go for the latter, especially if you are going with a CPU that powerful.

Im looking forward for arma 2 release, and im just wondering will my pc be able to run it smoothly?

Currently im running with:

intel core2 6600 2,4ghz

2gb ram

Nvidia 8800 gts 640mb

Asus p5b motherboard

I know that the system req. havent been published yet, but if you might have any suggestion on if ishould just change some components or just buy a new computer. Any suggestion on new components?

And sorry for this silly guestion, im kind of noob with computers.

Looks fine. Some of the components are "old" by today's standards, but any worthwhile upgrades probably wouldn't justify the cost. If you have performance upgrades when the game comes out and you play it, you might want to consider stuff. Till then, I'd stick with what you've got :)

Edited by echo1

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. Yeah it's always hard trying to figure out how systems will run on games that aren't even released--and since none of us here are psychic (if there are any here, let me know, I'd like to find out the winning lotto numbers :p), it's difficult to pin down a definite. However, with that said I appreciate the advice either way.

As far as the PSU is concerned, I already purchased it months ago since I was undecided on whether or not I would run two cards (I'm not really building for ArmA 2 alone anyway) or not. I also wanted something that I could keep for a nice long time without having to re-purchase the same damn thing every time I wish to rebuild--if that makes any sense. I realize right now it's probably quite a bit overkill, but unless we start running on nuclear power in the next few years--hopefully I can reuse this big boy for quite some time in the future. I just pray when I start the new computer it doesn't cause half the county to have a blackout LOL. :eek:

Yeah I was originally looking at the 4870's and the 4890's, but the problems of a sh*t-load of heat and blow dryer or worse fan sounds make me a bit nervous. I have the Thermaltake Armour+ full tower case which is no tiny case by far and it has hmm, let me check....

<goes and checks the website>

1 140mm in the front and rear, plus I thiiiiiiink I can put one on the side panel (not sure, it's been awhile since I had a peek at it). I know I can put 2 140mm fans at the bottom of the case as well, but with the carpet and being on the floor that's not a very good idea...

Plus there's the cpu cooler going and I guess if I had to I could get the ram cooler from OCZ to cool the sticks. So I'm wondering if heat from the 70 or 90 series would still cause me grief--especially since I have no plans of let alone proper knowledge to OC anything. I mean let's face it, money doesn't grow on trees and I don't wish to lower the lifespan of my parts right from the getgo and risk doing damage.

G-D I'm so frikken confused, hehe. :down:

I have a similar case (The non + Armor) and the cooling is quite good in it. If heat is really a problem, you could always get a third-party cooler for it, which are easy enough to install. In fact, there was someone posting on the PC thread in Offtopic who had a similar issue. Not sure which model he decided to go with.

I never had any heat problems with my 4870.

It has the single-fan stock reference cooler on it which I keep at fixed 40% (good balance between noise and power).

Other than 2 120mm fans on the front and rear of my case I have no addition cooling.

Heya CH,

Thanks for all your help. I might give the 4890 a go and if the heat gets to be an issue, I'll take your advice and look into a 3rd party cooler. Thanks again, much appreciated. :)

[edit]

Soon as I posted this response I just noticed Dead's response. Oops!

Hmm, I was looking at the HIS HD 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo (1GB)....might compare that and one from the 4890 series and compare a bit and see which one appeals to me. Like CH said--if things still get a bit iffy on the heat side I can just look into a 3rd party cooler if things got that bad. So long as the thing doesn't sound like a Mack Truck, a jet airplane and a buzz saw having a threesome in my case, then I will be happy.

Edited by Yokhanan

throught looking this thread, I've decided to build a new computer, but I am so afraid of how much sound it'll cause totally. My gf I live with is hyper/sensitive to noise of electornic devices, and she'll spot my PC from two thick walls, running. Especialyl at night :/

Gonna be a helluva work....

I might give the 4890 a go and if the heat gets to be an issue,....

....Hmm, I was looking at the HIS HD 4870 IceQ 4+ Turbo (1GB)....might compare that and one from the 4890 series and compare a bit and see which one appeals to me.....

Hi, given the fact that the GF GTX 275 outperforms the ATI 4890, only costs 5-10% more, uses way less energy in non gaming mode (which i simply assume is the majority of the most computer-time you use :p), is much cooler, and has way less (almost non-hearbale) noise, it would clearly get my go.

Especially here in germany were energy prices basically doubled the last 5 years, i tend to look more into saving energy with the PC - and ~40Watts less is indeed a difference, when i think that i have this PC running almost 24/7. Dunno how its all at your end, but just some sort of advice based on germany environment.

Edited by mr.g-c
sorry was rounded 40 watts difference at idle, not 50watts

Well, he seemed pretty insistent that he wanted an ATI card, but I would agree - the GTX275 is a better choice.

Well I've not purchased anything yet so I can check it out. I wouldn't say I'm like a ATI only kinda guy, I just tend to go with ATI because I've had it in two past computers (this one I built and one back when I had an overhyped-overpriced Alienware system).

Yeah here at least where I live in NJ, electric bills are getting a bit stressful. So something that is a bit energy-friendly is always a welcomed thing--otherwise my folks will have to raise my rent....aaaahhh!!! <runs in circles screaming at the thought>

BTW on the ATI side I'm currently looking at the SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 (2GB). But now I'll check out the GTX 275. Thanks guys for all the advice...I'm not much on the technical side so you all are helping me out a lot.

Edited by Yokhanan

Well, I've been all nVidia since about 2002, and I've yet to have problems. Also, if you look at the ArmA troubleshooting section, there seems to be less problems with nVidia compared with ATI. That said, BIS is supposedly testing ArmA II with HD4870s, so we can only assume this issue is fixed.