Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I'm able to run ArmA @2560x1600, very high & high settings with a 8800gtx

8000 vd seems to be my sweet spot. I see 40-70fps, and ArmA doesn't use my SLI.

I'm hoping ArmA II will give me around the same gameplay.

Awesome performance at 30" res :D

How come SLI doesnt work? Just the game being older and not supported? I havent seen any SLI/CF topics on ARMA2, does anyone know if these technologies will now be supported?

If SLI is not supported I doubt you would get the same perf as ARMA1, it looks to be a vast improvement graphically. However if SLI does work then two 8800GTX's are still quite a powerful setup.

Yapa

Yapab, I see that you were just on the verge of double-posting. Just as a fore-warning, please use the edit button instead of double-posting. ;)

Not going to happen sorry, hopefully ArmA2 demo one day soon ;)

Now I'm Horny, I'm Stoned. (The Doors)

Awesome performance at 30" res :D

How come SLI doesnt work? Just the game being older and not supported? I havent seen any SLI/CF topics on ARMA2, does anyone know if these technologies will now be supported?

If SLI is not supported I doubt you would get the same perf as ARMA1, it looks to be a vast improvement graphically. However if SLI does work then two 8800GTX's are still quite a powerful setup.

Yapa

SLI/Crossfire requires the developers to program support for it into the game. Now, if the BIS devs have the time for that, then of course they should implement it. That said, I'd rather they spent that time making sure that the 98% of us that don't have SLI got as much performance out of our single card as we can.

Thats a low level budget GFX card. It will run, but you probably wont be doing very high graphics.

I have this computer but since im not at all computer smart, do you guys know if Arma 2 will run on it. Appreciated the help.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10122272&catid=20217&logon=&langid=EN

Except for the graphics card it looks pretty solid. That Radeon 3200 won't be doing your framerate any good. Might want to upgrade that to something more recent.

I agree. That graphics card is useless. I'd go for either HD 4870 X2 or GTX 285.

I have this computer but since im not at all computer smart, do you guys know if Arma 2 will run on it. Appreciated the help.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10122272&catid=20217&logon=&langid=EN

well gamestar.de latest published specifications (05.05.2009):

Für Arma 2 brauchen Sie mindestens:

• Eine Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ oderschneller)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • Eine Grafikkarte (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 oder schneller) mit Shader Model 3 und 256 MB VRAM
  • 10 GB freier HDD-Speicherplatz

Empfohlen wird:

• Eine Quad Core CPU oder Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ oder schneller)
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Eine Grafikkarte (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 oder schneller) mit Shader Model 3 und 512 MB VRAM
  • 10 GB freier HDD-Speicherplatz

(sry german but i think the model numbers are the same as in every country^^)

so your system:

AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core - fits in recommended (amd athlon 64 x2 4400+ or faster)

8GB PC2-6400 DDR2 - fits in recommended (2gb)

750GB 7200RPM - fits in recommended (10gb free space)

ATI Radeon HD 3200 - fits in minimal (ATI Radeon 1800 or faster)

well gamestar.de latest published specifications (05.05.2009):

(sry german but i think the model numbers are the same as in every country^^)

so your system:

AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core - fits in recommended (amd athlon 64 x2 4400+ or faster)

8GB PC2-6400 DDR2 - fits in recommended (2gb)

750GB 7200RPM - fits in recommended (10gb free space)

They should stop posting those ridiculous specs, as said countless times before, the P4 is single core, there is no such thing as a Intel Core 2.0 GHz and the AMD x2's start at 3600+ or 3800+. Also, its an Ati 'x'1800 and a 'HD' 4850.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Well the wiki page has a fairly good assessment of the anticipated minimal/optimal specs: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2 even though it's the community site you do have BIS people correcting things here and there, in fact if you look at the history you see Maruk made the last update to the page April 22nd ;)

Specs ;)

Since ArmA 2 isn't out yet, nobody can't answer this question except BIS itself. But i doubt they will give any infos out yet.

So anything below is speculation and i try to explain my conclusions as good as possible.

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad-Core 2.3GHz

Don't get those already outdated CPU's, stick to the new Phenom II series. The 920 or the 940 are good to get. At least i would recommend a clock frequency of 2.8GHz or above (also if you would switch to Intel).

Noone knows how good or bad ArmA 2 will scale on Multicore CPU. But ArmA (1) does scale pretty well with higher clock rate. So i guess to be on safe side rather stick to higher clocks.

RAM: 8GB PC2-6400 DDR2

Do you really need 8GB RAM? Unless you're doin a lot of video processing or picture manipulations (Photoshop) excessively, 8GB is a waste. 2GB at least, i recommend 4 GB which will last for a good time.

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Naw, absolutely no-go. Seeing that close to every actual game already suffers on High-end GPU's to be played on high quality settings, sticking to a onboard graphic solution is IMHO no option at all. Unless you're happy with everything set to VERY LOW and a viewdistance of max 500m. And we're not even talking about that there is no dedicated video memory but it makes use on the (much slower, compared to dedicated VRAM) onboard RAM.

About the rest of the System...well, standard components which should work fine.

So, to be honest, if it is for gaming, not limited to ArmA 2 but every actual game, i wouldn't recommend this system at all.

To get you a rough guide about single components, without sticking to one or another facturer, take this as a very rough guideline:

A decent CPU for gaming cost nowadays 200€ or above

A decent Graphic card cost nowadays also 200€or above

Ram needed depends on Motherboard, 4GB should fit for a good time.

Sorry, can't say in $ but i guess you'll get it converted yourself.

:EDITH:

@NeMeSiS

They probably mean the Pentium D which is based on the Pentium 4. They should really adjust it as i already hear the boys whining that ArmA 2 doesn't run on highest settings on theyr P4. ;)

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Those two are most definitely not in the same league. The HD3200 is some cheap-ass integrated chip, the X1800 was a high end card about 4 years ago, and would still serve you well in older games that would be too much for the HD3200.

@Lapa: Why are you posting vids in a computer specs thread? :crazy:

lol sorry didn't get this name stuff :/ thought higher number = better card... damn is there still any concept for their naming?

edit: maybe lapa whanted to post in "latest press..." the thread which is normaly always #1 in this subforum^^

I use Wikipedia to navigate in GFX cards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_R600

System requirements in general is a real mess, and the Hardware industry can partly blame them self for people switching to consoles.

...and the people themselves for letting PC upgrades rule their lives!

:yay: Hail my new ATI 4890... a balisitc missle of a graphics card. :D

lol sorry didn't get this name stuff :/ thought higher number = better card... damn is there still any concept for their naming?

It works like this -

First number - Generation of the card. (The GeForce 6 series was the 6th generation of nVidia GPU, although both ATI and nVidia have reset their numbers, in 2004 and 2008 respectively, which is why ATI is currently on 4 and nVidia on 2)

Second number - Relative performance of the card - 1-2 being integrated (ones that use system memory as opposed to their own RAM) 3-4 being low end, 5-7 being mid end, 8-9 being high end. This is the one number that tells you the most about how fast the card will be.

Third Number - On nVidia cards and older ATI cards, it usually refered to an updated version of an older card (eg. GeForce GTS 260, or X1950XT) however, ATI's new naming scheme uses them instead of suffixes (like GT/GTS etc) - so the 4870 and 4850 are both high end 4-series cards, but the -70 is faster than the -50.

Fourth number - Never used, which is why nVidia decided to drop it with it's latest cards.

Suffixes - Fortunately the two manufacturers have got rid of the endless arrays of suffixes (GT/GTX/XTX etc) after their cards, which were generally made up on the spot and rarely followed any pattern. ATI uses a numerical replacement as mentioned above (although it still uses X2 for a dual GPU card). Nvidia now uses a simple prefix system. A card beginning with GTX (eg. GTX295) is a high end card, GTS (eg. GTS250) is a mid-range card, and GT (eg. GT120) is a low end card. Hopefully they'll keep it that way and won't mess it up.

In the case of the X1800 vs the HD3200, you have an earlier generation high end card and a low end newer generation card. While high end cards become middle range cards quickly enough, it takes years before the sort of power available in an old high end card makes its way down to a low end or integrated chipset. So the X1800 is faster in this case.

[sarcasm] It's just that simple! [/sarcasm]

Edited by echo1

Heh heh. Lucky you. I always buy games like 2- 4 years after they are released, cause only then can I play them at decent frame rates. Why? Because I also only buy the hardware when its 2-3 years out of date and cheap as dirt. I can only dream of owning the latest and greatest. *sigh*.

not really, the opposite is true, if people wouldnt upgrade their systems, the pc hardware industry wouldnt be able to invent new stuff, i just wish more people would be interested in technical stuff, instead of hitting the power button and play on crappy consoles.

Consoles will never be better than newest PCs.

Heh heh. Lucky you. I always buy games like 2- 4 years after they are released, cause only then can I play them at decent frame rates. Why? Because I also only buy the hardware when its 2-3 years out of date and cheap as dirt. I can only dream of owning the latest and greatest. *sigh*.

what do you do in the ARMA2 forums then? :P

what do you do in the ARMA2 forums then? :P

Hahahahaha, good point. BIS Forum is for rich people. OMG I should delete my account too :butbut:

I think this systemconfig. is perfect for arma2 and should be cheap/low power consumption:

- Phenom II X4 905e @2,5 GHz 2 + 6 MB Cache 65 W TDP AM3 june 2009 €?

- Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P, 790X (dual PC3-10667U DDR3) 110€

- HD 4770 80€

- Western Digital Caviar Green 1000GB, 32MB Cache, SATA II 75€

- Enermax PRO82+ 525W ATX 2.3 70€

- any case.. 50-100€

- other..

My next system i think.