Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

How to add smoke effect to new shell class?

I want my different shells to produce different smoke effects when they go off. Couldn't find any tutorials on ofpec, nor any very relevant threads here. Anyone feel like help me get started? I feel like a giant noob with this.

Shells are airburst type with explosion. If I cannot change the explosion effect, is it possible to add custom smoke? I tried looking at some grenade addons but I didn't get much smarter. I was able to increase the lifetime of my flares, but the success ended there.

Help?

Search for Vectorbosons drop/particle tutorials... and read/search in biki for drop and particle you will find the corresponding entries for those commands responsible for smoke or any other particle effect:

drop

and vehicle class #particlesource

there are also some templates contained in biki

Could only find the scripting part of things. What I'm looking for is how to initiate this stuff from a shell addon, and/or replace the builtin effects. Thx anyway, the tutorial might have some other useful info though

In cfgAmmo, there are two effects you can set. The first is the crater effects, which creates the dust at the crater (if no crater is formed, eg: airburst, or over water, then this does not get created). The second is the explosion effects, which actually creates the explosion.

Both of these refer to an effect class, like "GrenadeCrater" and "GrenadeExplosion". You could even set the explosion effect to "GrenadeCrater" if you wanted, as they just refer to a class. If you look in BIS's config for the GrenadeCrater class, you'll find an example of how to set one up. Basically, the effect class is a collection of several subclasses which refer to a single cloudlet type in cfgCloudlets.

There's also config values for impacts with specific surfaces, but I don't remember how to set them up offhand. Hope this helps :)