Sign in to follow this  
old raven nl

using an xbox 360 controller in the PC version

Ditto on the look inversion.

I'm used to looking, flight sim style, pull back on the stick equals up, push forward equals down.

The 360 controller feels natural too me now, and it's pain free, literally. If we can resolve this I'd be very happy.

I'm starting to have physical pain and movement issues with my mouse hand (older gamer here, you'll get there someday if you're lucky).

These sections are listed in the player profile, but I haven't tried editing them by flipping values.

keyLookLeftDown[]={79,327958,262149};

keyLookDown[]={80,262148};

keyLookRightDown[]={81,262147};

keyLookLeft[]={75,262150};

keyLookCenter[]={76};

keyLookRight[]={77,262146};

keyLookLeftUp[]={71,262151};

keyLookUp[]={72,262144};

keyLookRightUp[]={73,262145};

keyLookLeftCont[]={524289};

keyLookRightCont[]={524295};

keyLookDownCont[]={524288};

keyLookUpCont[]={524294};

Edited by PositiveG

^ I tried:) but to no avail:( ... i guess the default 360 controller setup overrules these values. Tthat's why we can't change anything and if you try to config a 360 button you get a blank iso the 360 reference)

So I guess the next question is what pbo file contains the default values? If you could extract them, adjust them and put it back, they might "stick" pardon the pun.

Wow, look at that and i know this has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about i just figured i would say it- look at that i stumbled upon Avibird 1 whats up man

But i do have a question i went and got a pre built controller config for Arma 1 now i dont know where to put the file its a PIN file so i have no idea where to put it and i dont want to hear it Avibird. I know i Have Arma 2 but sometimes i like to play glitch and lag free which is what i can do in Arma 1 so....

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

My bad but you don't see something in common with a system that is steup to uses a hand controller to play PC games and BI coding 360 controller for use of ARMA2. When I stoped playing PC games back in 2003 trying to get a hand controller to work on a PC was a F nightmare. Yes I know it's 2009 and thing are a lot different now.

Wow, look at that and i know this has nothing to do with what you guys are talking about i just figured i would say it- look at that i stumbled upon Avibird 1 whats up man

But i do have a question i went and got a pre built controller config for Arma 1 now i dont know where to put the file its a PIN file so i have no idea where to put it and i dont want to hear it Avibird. I know i Have Arma 2 but sometimes i like to play glitch and lag free which is what i can do in Arma 1 so....

... But why on god would you walk around as infantry - with a 360 Controller??

Because the analogue sticks provide much greater control over your movement relative to WASD? That and the significantly more satisfying and less clinical aiming that you get from an analogue stick, admittedly at the cost if accuracy and speed.

Edited by Dynamic Echo

... But why on god would you walk around as infantry - with a 360 Controller??

I have no idea, I've tried it and its horrible.

Keyboard and mouse in this game is alot easier.

even if your like me and cant find buttons half the time. :)

Controllers arnt the way to go for flying, thats where the good joysticks come in.

even playing "that other game" with a 360 controller on my PC is ****

I prefer the PS3 Pad :)

Being a PS3 owner as well as PC I can safely say the Xbox 360 is far superior for blokes with bloke sized hands like myself, the actual build quality is far better on the 360 controller too. It seems to be the the one part Microsoft actually paid any attention to build quality with, the PS3 controllers I find cheap and also easily destroyed.

I use joypad and mouse combination for on foot, joypad for driving and Saitek Cyborg Evo for the flying.

With the amount of buttons available on your mouse and with the pad there is hardly ever any need to touch your keyboard at all.

I'd really like to use the 360 controller and I even made a thread back in the days concerning inversion, yet nothing's happened so far.

I'd really like to use the 360 controller and I even made a thread back in the days concerning inversion, yet nothing's happened so far.

You are better off using profiling software, means you can set up multiple actions for triggers depending on positions etc.

I find most games with direct Xbox joypad access to either be lacking or sometimes restrictive.

I have no idea, I've tried it and its horrible.

Keyboard and mouse in this game is alot easier.

even if your like me and cant find buttons half the time. :)

Controllers arnt the way to go for flying, thats where the good joysticks come in.

even playing "that other game" with a 360 controller on my PC is ****

Food chain: Keyboard -> Gamepad -> Joystick

Maybe because flying helos or planes with Keyboard&Mouse sucks!!!

:)

Flying with controller sucks compared to joystick :p

Flying with controller sucks compared to joystick
Flying with xbox360:

W5AXMYQZylY&hd=1

pOn2wa4kan0&hd=1

RbmlewVNjdk&hd=1

G16W_GBJ0bU&hd=1

Being a PS3 owner as well as PC I can safely say the Xbox 360 is far superior for blokes with bloke sized hands like myself, the actual build quality is far better on the 360 controller too. It seems to be the the one part Microsoft actually paid any attention to build quality with, the PS3 controllers I find cheap and also easily destroyed.

I use joypad and mouse combination for on foot, joypad for driving and Saitek Cyborg Evo for the flying.

With the amount of buttons available on your mouse and with the pad there is hardly ever any need to touch your keyboard at all.

Bloke sized hands, you know what they say about people with big hands ... ***** ***** :D

Microsoft Sidewinder pro owner for 8 years and going on. No potentiometers to bust, no calibration loss, fantastic hardware! :yay:

The disappearing bindings when the 360 controller disconnects is still there. I'm using the 360 for flying mainly, although I actually managed to get a really fun setup going for infantry, too. I'm not using the built-in profile, and instead setup my own bindings.

But the problem is that if the controller goes to sleep (it's wireless), Arma 2 decides to remove all the bindings. Why would it possibly do this? When I reconnect the controller, the bindings should definitely still be there. I mean, I have a FreeTrack system as well, but if I'm not using it and it's not plugged in, all those bindings stay there, as they should.

I'm wondering if I could just set the config file to Read Only, but I'm assuming it'll just crash.

** EDIT **

Much success! Yay! So setting your "[profile name].ArmA2Profile" file in "C:\Users\Ryan\Documents\ArmA 2" (path might vary) to Read Only looks to work great. It doesn't crash the game, yet prevents Arma from overwriting your mappings. I started up the game, then disconnected the controller. Normally this would have wiped the mappings, but upon exiting and restarting, they were still there.

I even was able to disconnect the controller, then reconnect it, and it went right back to working! This is nice if you're using keys + mouse for infantry, but the controller for aircraft, etc. Before, if the controller turned off, it couldn't come back without a restart.

One quirk: If the controller disconnects, and you go into the controller settings, you'll still see the bindings. However, if you go to configure the controllers (which of course will now not show the 360 listed), then back to the bindings, all the 360-specific bindings will disappear. Fear not, though. They visually disappear, but if you exit the game and restart, they'll be there again, safe and sound.

So far I'm very happy with this kludgy workaround. Only problem is that of course you can't edit any bindings after you do this, so best to perfect your bindings, then set Read Only and not worry about them disappearing. I'm assuming you could also just Alt-Tab out, remove the read-only, add or change a binding back in the game, then set the file to read-only again.

Edited by snubz
tested theory

Did u check that when ur controller gets back online the setting is to custom mapping gain, or does it fallback to the default setting?

Did u check that when ur controller gets back online the setting is to custom mapping gain, or does it fallback to the default setting?

Yeah, that wasn't the problem, in my case at least. However, as seen in my post Edit above, I was able to prevent the issue by Read-Only protecting the config file.

Just gonna jump on an add my two cents.

Ive used the xbox360 pad since i played arma2 and for me its brilliant, I do only use it for flying.

The only problem i ever encountered was the 'forgetting bindings'. If the controller is off when you launch the game, it will not remember the bindings, but if the controller is on when the game is launched it will remember the bindings. Just incase you forget to turn on the controller when launching the game, the game will still remember the bindings but they wont be active. You just need to start the game again with the controller on.

Why would you even want to play with a controller when you can play with keyboard+mouse?

Some people like controllers not everyone wants to sit and stare at their screen for 6 hours.

The only problem i ever encountered was the 'forgetting bindings'. If the controller is off when you launch the game, it will not remember the bindings, but if the controller is on when the game is launched it will remember the bindings.

Hmm, it didn't work this way for me. If my controller ever went to sleep during a session, the bindings would be gone, even if I exited and restarted the game. I suppose this could happen only after you actually open the Controls and take a peek at the bindings...maybe that's when they actually get written to the profile file; I never checked that.

But either way: how do you avoid the problem where you might not fly for awhile, and walk around as infantry w/ mouse+keys. If the controller goes to sleep, it will no longer work even after reconnecting, right?

I'm using a XBOX 360 controller together with a mouse and TrackIR to play Arma 1 and now ofcourse Arma2.

One hand is on the controller as keybaord replacement, the other of course on the mouse for aiming. Using just half of the controller i have just a few buttons.

Using custom mapping software (Pinnacle Game profiler) i have been able to make several combo's and have my left bumper key as SHIFT function. This doubles all the buttons. The controller gives my instant access to the most essential functions, something i miss with a keyboard. I almost never need the keyboard only for some very rare functions.

The controller is used for moving, jump over, prone/crouch/stand, reload/toggle weps, compass, commanding menu, zooming, evasive left/right/front.

I'm often trying to improve on my setup but this one basicly covers most basic / essential things.

This is a really good control scheme that I would never have thought of without having read your post.

Thanks for sharing this idea.

Hmm, it didn't work this way for me. If my controller ever went to sleep during a session, the bindings would be gone, even if I exited and restarted the game. I suppose this could happen only after you actually open the Controls and take a peek at the bindings...maybe that's when they actually get written to the profile file; I never checked that.

But either way: how do you avoid the problem where you might not fly for awhile, and walk around as infantry w/ mouse+keys. If the controller goes to sleep, it will no longer work even after reconnecting, right?

Leave it plugged into the USB charger when not using it and it won't go to sleep.

Another trick though is to use Xpadder or some other software and actually set the pad up as keypresses on that so if it goes to sleep it doesn't matter as it is assigned to keystrokes.

I use a controller and mouse combination when on foot or driving so only suffer this when using my flightstick for flying, so I tend to leave it plugged in and not use it wireless for ARMA 2 at all.