Sign in to follow this  
old raven nl

using an xbox 360 controller in the PC version

Love using my 360 controller to fly, but my only problem is that I can't get the triggers to work for firing weapons. It's unfortunate, because it would make it a lot easier than having to use another button that would make me move my thumb uncomfortably further from the right joystick to fire.

what you mean? you cant fire weapons with the RT button?

Yeah. Bumpers work, all the other keys work, but left and right triggers don't. They work fine for thrust and such, but not at all for firing weapons. Not sure if it's something on my end though.

Yeah. Bumpers work, all the other keys work, but left and right triggers don't. They work fine for thrust and such, but not at all for firing weapons. Not sure if it's something on my end though.

same for me too, not just you

I just tried using my 360 controller and I can fire just fine (one of the right hand buttons for fire, another to toggle weapons... Forget which ones) I only have one tiny problem:

Where the bloody hell is the increase/decrease thrust buttons?!?! :confused:

I cant even use the 360 controller to fly because there is no thrust. I've tried every single button/stick/push and nothing works. The plane crash to the ground...

I'd use a mouse/keybord combo, but since you cant inverse just plane controls its... well, uncontrollable.

same for me too, not just you
Iirc i had that in ArmA1 too (i have no Arma2)

thats odd. ALL the buttons on my controller works. LT = zoom, (hold right button zoom), RT = fire, (both infantry, planes, vehicles)

sure ur controller is proper installed ? somethings wrong at least, since mine works 100%

thats odd. ALL the buttons on my controller works. LT = zoom, (hold right button zoom), RT = fire, (both infantry, planes, vehicles)

sure ur controller is proper installed ? somethings wrong at least, since mine works 100%

I'll have to try again...

Also, for those that don't remember what button does what (like me) here's something you can print out and write on.

xbox360.jpg

EDIT - now LT zooms but RT still won't fire... going to keep trying

EDIT 2 - ok, if you enable the controller profile it sets the RT to fire, so it does work. You just can't change the settings at all this way... and it enabled the vibrating.

Edited by Mosh
more info

Yeah, I like using a gamepad for arma sometimes, especially for planes/helos, though infantry ... only when I'm REALLY lazy and don't intend to play seriously/win/not get shot. Though I'd be using a joystick if I had one, since they pwn over a controller any day.

How can a controller be improperly installed? I mean either it should work or it dont. You can only interpret a button in so many ways.

How mine works for an plane:

Left stick: control stick

Right stick: does nothing

Pad: view

A: Fire

B: does nothing

Y: zoom

X: change weapon

back: enter menu (ie middle mousebutton)

start: enter menu (same as above)

RT: enter menu (again, same as above)

LT: enter menu (Arma2 requires 4 buttons to enter the menu, its THAT complicated)

RPush: does nothing

LPush: does nothing

This is default settings.

See my previous post in this thread aout my usage of the 360 controller: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1299087&postcount=29

In alot of games there's not a real proper way to map/bind controller buttons. The named software i've been using does it all. You can make very sophisticated mapings/bindings, define axises, combine several keys/functions, use shift functions etc. I think you can use it as a demo for 30 days.

Edited by Chill xl

There's a free controller software on the web that has been used by GTA3 players, i just can't remember the name now. In that software you can setup the xbox controller how you see fit, nothing is impossible. And it's free. Should turn up when you google various gta forums for it.

)rStrangelove;1327096']There's a free controller software on the web that has been used by GTA3 players' date=' i just can't remember the name now. In that software you can setup the xbox controller how you see fit, nothing is impossible. And it's free. Should turn up when you google various gta forums for it.[/quote']

Worst part is, I think I used it for San Andreas and completely forgot the name of it. Was it XPadder?

http://www.xpadder.com/

Well, that one costs money, which might not be it, because the one I used for San Andreas was free, but if you're willing to spend the money, there's an option.

I can handle using a dual analogue controller for flying helos and driving.

Infact I wholly endorse it!

However, I cannot understand why anyone would think it is superiour for infantry play?

Just so we're clear, this isn't a flame at analogue controller users, but more of a statement from my own experience and a reqeust for some further info on users of the analogue controllers purely regarding Infantry play!!

So, how do you do a quick flick 180 degree turn with the controller?, or is it as simple as pulling down on the stick? Which is still wierd if it is the case, because what happens when I want to turn 120 degrees left and not 180?

Just having the slightest amount of play (time taken to move from left to right or up and down) on the analogue controller is a hinderance when you compare it to a mouse. Plus using your thumb or another digit to pivot is not nearly as accurate as the pivot from your elbow.

With most newer mouses there are sensitivity adjustments, which enable you to trick the sensistivity to your needs on the fly. So this allows me to utilise my entire desk space to move my mouse - handy for precise targeting. Or I can move my mouse a couple of millimetres and I can be doing 1080's if I feel the need.

Obviously sensitivity settings can be applied to pretty much any periperhal, but I still fail to see how the analogue controlled could possibly be superiour for Infantry play.

Infact there is only one thing I can think of which would be of any use when using an analogue controller for infantry play, and that's the fact it may be - for some people- easier to keep the crosshairs on the horizontal plane whilst looking left and right.

As I can do this with my mouse, and change the sensitivities of up/down left/right I can still utilise this exact same technique.

I would like to hear some other thoughts, especially those that do purely use an analogue controller for infantry play.

I think the analogue controllers have their advantages in other facets of play, but I still fail to see how during infantry play.

My 2 Bobs worth.

Hippy

I think a controller is great for vehicle play, because if done right, a $20 controller replaces a $150 TrackIR.

But for the regular FPS play, yeah a mouse is superior due to higher accuracy, as well as the speed.

I use the controller for moving and on the same time the mouse for aiming, this basicly means just one half of the controller is being used when i'm playing infantry.

I have to recommend it to anyone that seeeks ways to map their controller just the way they want. The Pincacle Game Profiler software allows the user to setup simple to very complex button mapping. For example have multiple functions mapped to the X axis, according to have the thumbstick is tilted a different game-function is called.

I have used my left-bumper as a shift button / ctrl button at the same time, i use this button with all other buttons, including the mouse buttons. I have have double and some times trippled all available keys on both the controller and the mouse. This was nessecary since i dont have both hands on the controller.

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

I use the controller for moving and on the same time the mouse for aiming, this basicly means just one half of the controller is being used when i'm playing infantry.

So, correct me if I am wrong here, you don't actually use the keyboard, unless of course you need to type messages or something similar?

You use the controller for movement, and your mouse for aim? Interesting!

Do you stick the controller to your desk to prevent if sliding around?

I wouldn't mind hearing a little more about the way you have this setup!

Cheers,

Hippy

Of course a mouse is 'superior' when aiming. Esp. when there is no controller optimization implemented (aka a bit of 'autoaim' ;))

Anyway, the only thing a mouse never can/will achieve, is the DESKLESS setup. A mouse (and a keyboard for that matter) ALWAYS require a desk.

If someone prefers or wants or needs a DESKLESS setup he has to refer to a controller. In this respect i'm more than interested in the controller+trackir setup.

Well, of course, any 101-keyed game, like a lot of simulation games will be difficult to control by a controller alone. But it can't hurt to try.

I just have the controller in my left hand and the mouse in my right, nothing more. Have removed the battery from the controller and just play with the play and charge cord on the usb, saves some weight.

The keyboard is only used for some exotic functions i hardy use and of course typing in chat. I think i can say my setup gives better acces to alot functions, especiialy since i hardly have to remove my thumb of the stick and thus can keep moving.

It took me quite some to polish my setup to get the best out of the controller / mouse combo. If you want, i can setup a list of all the mapped functions when i get home.

If you want, i can setup a list of all the mapped functions when i get home.

If that isn't too much trouble I would be interested to see how you have that setup!

Cheers,

Hippy

Quick question, I'm using the provided profile for the Xbox360 controller, but I can't seem to figure out how enable look inversion. Any help, would be deeply appreciated.

..............$20 controller replaces a $150 TrackIR......................

Hmm!!!

im wondering do you have a trackir?

$20 controller does not replace a $150 TrackIR. Nothing replaces a TrackIR. (maybe freelook if setup properly).

controller moves the relative head/view position with a finger. TrackIr moves it with the Head. Leaves your fingers free for controlling other things. No comparison.

Edited by Fish44

Ah, I see now. In the controllers menu it's listed twice. If I select the top one I can change my controls as I see fit but can't assign firing to the right trigger. If I select the bottom one it's all automatically setup but I can't change any controller settings (and all the menus show the controller buttons and what not). I'd still like to customize my controller a little more than that though.

Ah, I see now. In the controllers menu it's listed twice. If I select the top one I can change my controls as I see fit but can't assign firing to the right trigger. If I select the bottom one it's all automatically setup but I can't change any controller settings (and all the menus show the controller buttons and what not). I'd still like to customize my controller a little more than that though.

I'm having the same issue, on the top controller I can customize to my heart's desire except for assigning fire to the right trigger.

With the bottom controller configuration it's all nice and dandy but I can't invert the look axes. If anyone knows how to get around this, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Same prob here. I'm playing the demo on my truely crap system. Anyway, i can't get the 360 controller have INVERTED.

Anyone?