Sign in to follow this  
old raven nl

using an xbox 360 controller in the PC version

ehm.. now why would you ask a question about the onlive system in this thread?

Since it's directly asked to wolle.. can't you use the PM system?

We're getting horribly OT here..

now back on track.

Since they are coding also for the 360, it's not weird to assume that the control layout for the controller is also inserted in the pc version.

@maxqubit, thanx.. I have the controller setup in ArmA1.. I must say that I find it easier to fly a helo with the controller than using my flightstick.

So a basic implementation of the default 360 layout for the controller in the pc version of ArmA2 would be nice BI :D

btw.. regarding the fact that some see the word console and link the thread to a console to pc thread.

Did you know that the military uses 360 controllers to fly UAV's and such? that also has nothing to do with them using a console right? :D

ehm.. now why would you ask a question about the onlive system in this thread?

Since it's directly asked to wolle.. can't you use the PM system?

We're getting horribly OT here..

now back on track.

Since they are coding also for the 360, it's not weird to assume that the control layout for the controller is also inserted in the pc version.

@maxqubit, thanx.. I have the controller setup in ArmA1.. I must say that I find it easier to fly a helo with the controller than using my flightstick.

So a basic implementation of the default 360 layout for the controller in the pc version of ArmA2 would be nice BI :D

btw.. regarding the fact that some see the word console and link the thread to a console to pc thread.

Did you know that the military uses 360 controllers to fly UAV's and such? that also has nothing to do with them using a console right? :D

My bad but you don't see something in common with a system that is steup to uses a hand controller to play PC games and BI coding 360 controller for use of ARMA2. When I stoped playing PC games back in 2003 trying to get a hand controller to work on a PC was a F nightmare. Yes I know it's 2009 and thing are a lot different now.

For the die-hard console players out there, i wanto say that the incredibly small community on XB1 opfp (just HANDFULLS of ppl), that maps are made very well for our limitations. i have played the pc versions, but its almost never the other way around. if you wanto diss consoles, at least do it when you have played the game - lets not try to tick off guys that dont want to afford some of the p.c.'s you guys are running... make nice!

I'm using a XBOX 360 controller together with a mouse and TrackIR to play Arma 1 and now ofcourse Arma2.

One hand is on the controller as keybaord replacement, the other of course on the mouse for aiming. Using just half of the controller i have just a few buttons.

Using custom mapping software (Pinnacle Game profiler) i have been able to make several combo's and have my left bumper key as SHIFT function. This doubles all the buttons. The controller gives my instant access to the most essential functions, something i miss with a keyboard. I almost never need the keyboard only for some very rare functions.

The controller is used for moving, jump over, prone/crouch/stand, reload/toggle weps, compass, commanding menu, zooming, evasive left/right/front.

I'm often trying to improve on my setup but this one basicly covers most basic / essential things.

Edited by Chill xl

I have a friend who has started using the 360 controller with ARMA, and swears by it.(think its vista). I'm wondering is there anyone else there who has tried this with ARMA II and what are the impressions.

I use it in vehicles. It has a built in profile that works well and even has the proper 360 controller button prompts.

On foot I still use the keyboard to have access to all the keys but I actually find the left analog stick better for movement since you have more control over your speed.

I'm actually using the 360 controller...and running Windows XP; working out well so far but I can't figure out how to aim on a tilt around a corner (I tried using the triggers with all different combos but does not work).

Edited by UltraSur76

using kb/m as infantry, and trying to get used to the controller in vehicles.

tho, the controller as infantry man is NOT bad at all. actually enjoyed it :bounce3:

Prefer using the controller for vehicles in general, but kb/m for infantry use. Occasionally it's fun to use to snipe as well.

I use an XBOX 360 controller for most driving, and some flying. I use a flight stick for most flying.

I use Windows 7.

The only problem I have so far is using the left/right triggers for next target/firing (doesn't work). They work good for reverse/forward though. I have more experimenting to do though...

While we are at the topic.

is there a way to turn off the vibration when u shoot? since i use controller in vehicles, and not as inf (for now at least) i have the controller enabled all the time (for fast switch to the controller) but whenever i shoot, the controller is moving away from me on my desk + making annoying vibrations :P

In your arma profile, down near the bottom you can set "vibrations" to 0 and it will turn off controller vibrations.

In your arma profile, down near the bottom you can set "vibrations" to 0 and it will turn off controller vibrations.

Thanks alot mate!

I do the same as you, using the gamepad for driving and flying and that thing was rattling all over my desk in a firefight. I was thrilled to see that line in the config

If not I was going to have to get a little pillow or something for the gamepad :)

hmm, dident work for me. tho, the vibration part was not in arma2 config for me. but in the playername file under the arma2 config, and it was allmoust at top. Vibration=1 so i putted 0, and saved the file, started up the game, and it still had vibrations :(

apparently, it works on the default profile, as i dont use, i use a "usermade" profile i made myself, since i couldent change the name of the default one, tryed to copy the default profile and rename it to my current, but dident work.

Edited by Evishion

I'm not using the default profile and it works for me. I changed the one in the Name.ArmA2profile file in the ArmA2 Other Profiles folder.

I'm curious ... If you ONLY use 360 controller

1. Can you navigate the menu's properly?

2. What about looking around while moving (infantry). Can you map that correctly?

3. Nice little touch like 'slight pull RT' to hold breath, and 'full pull' to shoot ... possible to map?

(Above 3 things were troublesome in ArmA1, iirc)

You use the dpad to navigate menus and it works fine although you can't access the specific number menus, only the spacebar menu from what I can tell.

Speed control is analog, depends on how much you tilt the left stick, you can actually move faster with your rifle up than you can using wsad.

Zoom is analog, so you can partially zoom by partially pulling the left trigger, you'd probably have to use outside controller mapping software to do what you talk about in question 3.

You could map a button to freelook and be able to use it like you would the alt key I guess, I have TrackIR so I look around that way.

I'm not using the default profile and it works for me. I changed the one in the Name.ArmA2profile file in the ArmA2 Other Profiles folder.

cheers, changing the vibration=0 in the conig in Arma2 other profiles worked like a charm :)

now the controller finally stopped bouncing on the keyboard ^^

Is there a way to use a wireless 360 controller with your pc?

You use the dpad to navigate menus and it works fine although you can't access the specific number menus, only the spacebar menu from what I can tell.

Speed control is analog, depends on how much you tilt the left stick, you can actually move faster with your rifle up than you can using wsad.

Zoom is analog, so you can partially zoom by partially pulling the left trigger, you'd probably have to use outside controller mapping software to do what you talk about in question 3.

You could map a button to freelook and be able to use it like you would the alt key I guess, I have TrackIR so I look around that way.

Thx

(Hmmm, trackir + 360 controller? Nice)

Btw, if somebody want more precision with aiming using a 360 controller. Take a look at these fpsfreek ... just a tip. Cheap and perhaps you like 'm (i do)

Thx

(Hmmm, trackir + 360 controller? Nice)

Btw, if somebody want more precision with aiming using a 360 controller. Take a look at these fpsfreek ... just a tip. Cheap and perhaps you like 'm (i do)

Ye, trackir + controller is so sweet, especially if you are playing infantry with controller, since (i dont think) u can lean with the controller, then just lean with trackir. awesome combo

Is there a way to use a wireless 360 controller with your pc?

Yes,you can buy it as a complete kit or just the adaptor if you already have a controller.

Tbh I use the wired controller,found the wireless one added some input latency to my game :nono:

Microsoft Xbox 360 Crossfire Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows

Edited by Sgt.Pepper

They dont make the Microsoft Xbox 360 Crossfire Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows anymore as i found when i was going to buy one a while back. I found one on ebay for £13.00 so brought that But shops will not stock them anymore..

Love using my 360 controller to fly, but my only problem is that I can't get the triggers to work for firing weapons. It's unfortunate, because it would make it a lot easier than having to use another button that would make me move my thumb uncomfortably further from the right joystick to fire.