Sign in to follow this  
old raven nl

using an xbox 360 controller in the PC version

Since they say the PC and XBOX version are developed in parallel.

Does the PC version of ARMA2 support the xbox 360 controller out of the box??

Since they say the PC and XBOX version are developed in parallel.

Does the PC version of ARMA2 support the xbox 360 controller out of the box??

Hmmm, Arma1 does, although i never could find a way to integrate infantry/vehicle in one setup. For me the vehicle/flight stuff worked excellent in ArmA1 with the 360 controller ... i made a video back then Heli Attack

But as said, for infantry i was less happy. Some Elite stuff seemed to be missing (like slight pull trigger to stabilize, full pull to fire). Also moving and looking around was a pain to map, and of course the menu system was a pain (if ever possible) to control with 360 controller.

But who knows, ArmA2 could improve on it.

Why would you even want to play with a controller when you can play with keyboard+mouse?

Why would you even want to play with a controller when you can play with keyboard+mouse?

Maybe because flying helos or planes with Keyboard&Mouse sucks!!!

:)

... But why on god would you walk around as infantry - with a 360 Controller??

Hehe, I actually find Keyboard&Mouse to be better and more accurate than using a joystick at flying helicopters in Arma. But using a controller wouldn't be all that different from Mouse&Keyboard I guess.

Edited by sparks50

because I like using a controller... not with arma on pc.. but since ArmA2 is also being devoloped for xbox 360, they might have good support build into the PC version already.. just Like Operation Flashpoint | Dragon Rising for the PC (did I actually mention that name here :) )

En when I'm lazing, or playing around in the mission editor I prefere using a controller.. Since I have to work with a mouse all day already.

In ArmA1 using the 360 controller didn't really feel right... and always just use mouse and keyboard... and have a flightstick next to me for the helos.

but the question is simple enough..

another example..

If you've played gears of war 1 on the xbox 360, and want to play it on the PC.. you can plug in your 360 controller and it plays exactly the same as the 360 version.

So that's it .. will the pc version with 360 controller play exactly the same as playing it on the 360?

if you prefere a mouse and keyboard on PC is not the issue here..

Well, i don't think so....Wouldn't that mean that Gameplay rules have to change to fit the controller then....like commanding, maybe x360 version has radial command menu, who knows...Or how about gun floating. Will it suddenly turn static to fit the controller? all kind of little different things that makes small differences to fit the platforms.

hmm.. you have a point there... well.. I'm curious how the console version differs then in terms of controls.

Hmmm, Arma1 does, although i never could find a way to integrate infantry/vehicle in one setup. For me the vehicle/flight stuff worked excellent in ArmA1 with the 360 controller ... i made a video back then Heli Attack

But as said, for infantry i was less happy. Some Elite stuff seemed to be missing (like slight pull trigger to stabilize, full pull to fire). Also moving and looking around was a pain to map, and of course the menu system was a pain (if ever possible) to control with 360 controller.

But who knows, ArmA2 could improve on it.

cool video... how did you setup the 360 controller in arma? I'm going to give it a try after seeing this video..

hmm.. you have a point there... well.. I'm curious how the console version differs then in terms of controls.

Yeah, me to certainly. ;)

:) I have no real desk ... my setup is on my digital piano, you'd have to see it to understand. Btw, ArmA was the only pc game outting last few years.
cool video... how did you setup the 360 controller in arma? I'm going to give it a try after seeing this video..
0:33 in the vid i have a shorthand notation for my setup Edited by maxqubit

thanx, I'm going to give it a try..

you don't need to setup any weird program or something right? you can just assign with the controller connected with the default ms driver right?

thanx, I'm going to give it a try..

you don't need to setup any weird program or something right? you can just assign with the controller connected with the default ms driver right?

That's right ... out-of-the-box

Not to start a fight with console vs PC crap but why would any PC players want to use a hand controller while playing. You guys always stated the key board and the rat is so much better for playing the game.

Some players are not 'PC players' but console players who also sometimes use a PC for different reasons. A game not yet published on a console (or the 'wrong' console), Modding, whatever. Then it comes in handy to use the controller ;)

Latest video translated by Deadfast: "A feature for XBOX controllers wich is too hard to aim normally will get AUTO-AIM"...

I dont understand why anyone would want this.

Alex

why would any PC players want to use a hand controller while playing.

Piloting helicopters benefits greatly from the many axes available on modern joysticks and controllers. With the dual thumbsticks on the 360 controller, you can control pitch, yaw, and roll very easily, not to mention throttle.

Speaking of throttle, the triggers on the 360 controller are another axis, which I use for throttle. In any vehicle, even land vehicles, you can control the speed to a degree that you simply can't with the standard keyboard Q/W/E system of controlling speed.

Piloting helicopters benefits greatly from the many axes available on modern joysticks and controllers. With the dual thumbsticks on the 360 controller, you can control pitch, yaw, and roll very easily, not to mention throttle.

Speaking of throttle, the triggers on the 360 controller are another axis, which I use for throttle. In any vehicle, even land vehicles, you can control the speed to a degree that you simply can't with the standard keyboard Q/W/E system of controlling speed.

+1

That sums up why I prefer my 360 controller over the mouse/keyboard for vehicles. It just makes sense.

OK Lets have a nice debate please no fighting about which is better.

I am a old PC player for RST games and then OFP1 and BF 1942 games and now I prefer console games over PC games for personal reasons.

We all know that PC games have more power for the number of human players and overall AI units in the game world.

We all know that PC games usually have better graphics over console games but your point makes no sense to me.

I understand and I feel the same way. When you are in a tank/plane you have better control with a 360 controller over the key board and the rat but if you need to get out what are you going to do drop the 360 controller and start using the key board and rat WTF that's just dum.

Many PC players feel they have better control over aiming and moving when on the ground using the rat and key board. I can't understand this for the life of me.

I feel I can move better and have better bilateral eye hand coordination skills using a 360 controller over the key board and rat. Yes the key board gives you a lot more options then 8 buttons to command your AI and give orders but your main guy I don't see it.

I guess the PC version wont have the autoaim stuff that the console arcade boyz get.

I guess the PC version wont have the autoaim stuff that the console arcade boyz get.

Why did you have to go there. Don't we have enough community split between BOHEMIA and CODEMASTERS not all the console boys are little bunny hopping run & gun players that you think.

Most of the old elite community wants the same game experience you the PC boys wants.

I really don't think Bohemia would put in a autoaim function but if they did I would bet that you would be able to turn it off when playing or hosting a game.

PS. I made really hard ass multiple objective mission using the simple elite editor with limited points. Some of us know how to play this game with a console. I would love to see you try to complete one of my missions as a squad leader. Can you tell me why some of the PC boys would want to use a 360 controller over the key board and rat.

Hey, let's not start a flame war here guys over console & PC. I'm not going to take sides, but a friend of mine plays with his Xbox 360 controller and we do full realism missions. Just my two cents, but what Bohemia decides to do is what they decide to do.

The original question was if ArmA2 will support the 360 controller by default.

And of course we are now at the usual "console vs. PC" fights.

AVIBIRD 1, Rocco and who else thinks he must have the same endless discussions whenever the xbox is mentioned: Take your stuff to PM where you don't bother the rest of the community.

I'm tired of that ridiculous discussions now. You can bet as soon as the console is mentioned someone comes and bashing console players.

If someone wants to play ArmA/ArmA2 on his PC with an xbox controller - so what? If some other guy prefers to play on his xbox rather than on a PC - so what?

Back to the original topic, now. And if you have nothing constructive to add then don't post at all. And if you just can't stand consoles why bother at all looking into a console related thread?

The original question was if ArmA2 will support the 360 controller by default.

And of course we are now at the usual "console vs. PC" fights.

AVIBIRD 1, Rocco and who else thinks he must have the same endless discussions whenever the xbox is mentioned: Take your stuff to PM where you don't bother the rest of the community.

I'm tired of that ridiculous discussions now. You can bet as soon as the console is mentioned someone comes and bashing console players.

If someone wants to play ArmA/ArmA2 on his PC with an xbox controller - so what? If some other guy prefers to play on his xbox rather than on a PC - so what?

Back to the original topic, now. And if you have nothing constructive to add then don't post at all. And if you just can't stand consoles why bother at all looking into a console related thread?

Hey W0lle If you look at all my replays on this post you will see I was respectful to the PC Players and stated no fights please but I did ask some good questions about the use of a xbox controller. How would they use a xbox controller when in vehicles and then switch to the keyboard and rat when there boots were on the ground. This makes no sense to me using two different types of contolling devices for the same game. I know it's all personal preference.

W0lle can I ask you a question do you have any information about ARMA2 for the new onlive gaming system. This would let people play PC quality games without having a PC that can run the game while using a HDTV and hand controller.