Sign in to follow this  
-)rStrangelove

British vs Taliban replacement configs

These are custom model replacement configs i wrote to play ArmA with a British vs Taliban scenario. Replacements are local only, so you can play online too if the server permits unsigned files. All configs are independant from each other so you could mix them with your own replacement configs.

As i aimed for max compatibility with other stuff i didn't exchange the weapons because of issues with Evolution and other missions, so you need to bare with the original BIS weapons.

Also i couldn't get most of the blood textures to run, dunno why. If you can help PM me plz. :D

DOC_TalibanCiv_Replace.jpg

Civilians --> Afghan civilians

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1588101/DOC_TalibanCiv_Replace.zip.html

DOC_Taliban_Replace.jpg

OPFOR --> Taliban & Al-Qaeda units

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1588100/DOC_Taliban_Replace.zip.html

DOC_BritishDesertReplace.jpg

BLUEFOR --> British Desert & SF units

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1588098/DOC_BritishDesertReplace.zip.html

DOC_AfghanNationalArmy_Replace.jpg

Independant forces --> Afghan National Army units

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1588096/DOC_AfghanNationalArmy_Replace.zip.html

No addons were changed or harmed in doing these configs. Addons required:

- STALKERGB'S British Infantry v0.9b

- STALKERGB's British Special Forces (v 0.8b)

- Talibanpack Version 1.4 from MilesTeq / The Lost Brothers Mod

- Extended Eventhandlers

Tools used:

- cpbo / unRap v1.05 by Kegetys

- NoteTab Light by Fookes Software

Thx to all devs for these addons, really made my day.

Hi DrS........

I've been fooling around with these configs on my small dedicated server and I've been getting two, possibly unrelated wierdnesses..... an error on startup and "melted" distorted faces....

The error...... I can't remember it exactly, but it goes along the lines of (on mission load)...

You cannot play this mission because it is dependant on <something> that has been deleted - <something something> taliban civilians..... click and it goes away...

In game however - no problems with replacements - they're in there - Opfors, RACS and civs - works fine.... so looks like possibly some sortof dependency or non-critical error or something in the CIVS script????

No big deal.....

The other problem is really wierd stretched face textures - on BLUFORS only! - the stock arma blufors - I'm NOT using your Blufors replacement at all...

If I join the server alone its almost always OK (and I DON'T get that "civs" error either!!??), with two people (both using the replacements) we ALWAYS get the error and ALWAYS get the distorted faces - on all Blufors - not on ANY of the replacements.....

Wish I'd taken a picture before posting - I'll do one and post it later.... but its sortof as if the forehead texture gets stretched down over the face to waist level at the front - in choppers it changes to a sortof starwars mercenery facemask shape, and when prone the texture sticks about two feet out of the back of the models head!!

Fairly freaky!

I've had a wade thru the Taliban and also the LOBO IDF mod threads - theres SOME mention of face wierdness there, but it never really gets discussed..... I reckon its an actual models issue with the taliban - tho why it affects stock Blufors and NOT the taliban, or why actual Dedi Server MP Only, is beyond me.....

I'mm take a coupla pics and post - worth a thousand words etc....

Meantime, does any of this sound familiar to anyone???

(I have the taliban plus replacements in a seperate modfolder loading LAST in line, in case thats an issue.....

Back a bit later with photos.....

B

@Bushlurker:

Are you starting Arma with the -world=empty parameter?

If you do, try once without it. I had this with the ACE-mod

and not using this parameter fixed it for me.

Hi Menjoo...

OK - I'm NOT using that parameter on either client machine, nor on the server.

Server launches via shortcut - both clients with identical mods in identical loading order launched via Kegetys launcher...

However, maybe you might be on to something - I know that parameter basically stops you loading an island on initial boot to save time - the downside being you get a sort of wierd split screen semi underwater sort of "nowhere" screen to start with.....

I DO get that!!! when I join the server (not in SP).... maybe somehow the server is launching with world=empty even though its not in the shortcut?

I'll have to look at its profile and stuff.....

Than ks for the idea...!!!

I've taken a couple of photos but before I start and post them I'll go and do some investigating....

OH - By the way..... possibly unrelated to the entire wierd faces issue was the frequent error from the replacement....

It doesnt seem to happen all the time, but when it does it's.....

"You cannot play/edit this mission, it is dependant on downloadable content that has been deleted. doc_talibancivreplace"

always "civ" - never the other two..

and, as I said - the replacements work a treat - error or not, so before I forget....

Hey Dr Strangelove - thanks a lot !!!! Deeply handy for quickchange opfors !!!

ok - I'll go look for empty worlds on my server

:D

B

Thanks for the replacement config. I'm still trying to find time to finish up an updated version of the Taliban pack. Snakeman fixed up all the models and configs nicely so it should fix any wierdness. I just need to finish converting some TGA files and fixing a config on the rocket pickup.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hi again everybody....

OK, I've searched my server for a -world=empty... I'm not sure that actually applies to dedicated servers... tried server with -world=Sara to be sure... no difference..... I still get a wierd blue sortof "underwater with horizontal line" screen when initially joining... but then again, I always get that.... I DON'T always get this.....

melt.jpg

I didn't explain very well so heres a proper one...

Dedicated server running 1.14... ECS and a couple of other small addons running - no model replacement anything

2 x Client computers - both running 1.14... ECS, a couple of identical to server smaller stuff, then an @Taliban folder last...

This contains...

DOC_TalibanCivReplace.pbo

DOC_TalibanReplace.pbo

DOC_AfghanNationalArmyReplace.pbo

lobo_taliban.pbo

both client machines have the @Taliban running - the server does not

Symptoms

* in SP - everything fine - always looks great!!!

* in MP - first client join server - looks fine, no probs.

* leave and rejoin server (still one player only) = faces as above BLUFOR ONLY (All Taliban fine)

* stay in server with faces fine until client #2 joins = faces as above (BLUFOR only, taliban fine)

If we both quit, I shut down the server, restart it and start a new game - all is fine again, until I leave and rejoin OR a second client joins, then its back to the above.....

Just to confuse matters, about 50% of the time I get the following error as well.....

"You cann ot play/edit this mission, it is dependant on downloadable content that has been deleted. DOC.Talibancivreplace "

This happens in ALL MP missions I've tried so far (Domination, Evolution, etc)

If both clients remove the @Taliban folder from startup - everything is fine, as it's been for about a year now....

But if I add replacement OPFORS it screws up my default BIS Blufors ???????

It's VERY wierd... but I guess it HAS to be something to do with something in the @Taliban folder, and that means the replacement configs, or the Taliban models themselves....

My money is on it being the models fault, tho how they can be fine yet screw with default models is beyond me.....

So..... having explained a bit more clearly now...

Any clever people with any ideas???

B

oh B***er!!!

I just finished my previous huge post and while I was typing Miles Teg has taken time out from saving the Bene Gesserit Sisters to say he might be fixing it!!!

:yay:

You never know where these Bene Tielax guys are gonna show up next!!

hehe

I shelve my question an await his fixes!!

Thanks to everybody anyway - and once again to Dr S

B

Hi everybody.....

Miles Teg has just released an update of his Taliban Units - so I've just been trying them with the replacement configs...

All seems to work fine... Taliban Weapons PBO now seems to be a hardcoded requirement along with the Taliban PBO - and I'm still not seeing any blood textures on clothing - but the replacement itself seems to be working fine...

So far - no more "melted faces" in MP... I'll playtest further...

B

I'm glad the melted face issue appears to be gone...hopefully anyways. Their should be blood on all the sleeves and leg portions of the models when they are shot. There was on the all the guys I shot. :) It's not a bloody mess and rather subtle but it should definitely be there.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I return after considerably more testing with bad news I'm afraid.....

Melted Faces are still a problem with multiplayer...

just the same as before - the first player to join the server is (usually) OK - subsequent players and those who leave and return all experience the bug...

I did discover one new aspect to this annoying bug.... its not just faces of BIS units that are affected.....

Heeeeeres Marian "Scissorhands" Quandt!!

marian.jpg

Its particulay impressive how she manages to keep a hold of that clipboard! :D

as before... without the Taliban replacement modfolder all is well... so there arent any other units in use which could be causing the problem, I'm afraid.

On the blood texture front.... I emptied an entire SAW clip into a Test Taliban..... now I know what to look for, I think I did see some slight sort of rusty staining around the back of his left calf...

So... sorry Miles, but from an MP replacement config point of view, all we seem to have gained so far from the new version is an unnecessary (for us replacers) weapons pbo dependency and some subtle shading...

(oh, and an Enormous nail salon bill for poor old Marian... ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I think the ACE mod was also experiencing face melting and they got around to fixing in either release 1.08 or 1.09. Maybe pm sickboy and ask him for some ideas.

Would it be at all possible to request an alternate version of this pack that also replaces the weapons, for us who only want to use it in SP (figure it should work ok in SP)? That would make my day.

Either way, great work. :)

Well the weapons dependency is there because those are the weapons that the Taliban actually use. As for the melted face, I'm afraid that for right now, there's not much I can do about it. I have to concentrate on the main Lost Brothers Mod right now as we've fallen behind a bit. IF anyone volunteers to fix it, or if ACE wants to use it, they are welcome to fix it up as long as they keep the man-carried recoiless rifle. I'm fine if they use their own AK-47's. Otherwise, I'll probably won't end up updating it until later in ArmA2 unless BIS takes to long to get out information on how to convert infantry. If the ArmA2 infantry use an entirely new skeleton and selection names...then... I'll try to later fix the bug in ArmA.

Snake Man fixed up the models tremendously getting rid of all the .rpt errors, but I guess something slipped through.

Is there any server setting for MP games that can be used where this bug does not occur?

I'll double check the blood textures also because last I played them (the exact version that I uploaded) they had plenty of blood textures.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Heeeeeres Marian "Scissorhands" Quandt!!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/Bushlurker/OFP_Forum_Pics/marian.jpg

If I remember rightly, that happens to her in "default" ARMA anyway. She was specifically designed for cutscenes and was always seen using specific animations for each cutscene sequence, and as such, has different named selections compared to a "normal" infantry unit. I could of course be wrong.

good point Jackal - I remember reading about that though I'd never actually seen it.... I assumed that since everybody else was running around looking like cuttlefish she was just part of the same issue...