Sign in to follow this  
Rough Knight

Finding Position problem.

Hi guys,

I am at a loss how to do this so hopefully someone can give me some pointers.

I am trying to return the position x distance directly in front of the player regardless of the direction they are facing.I have made a POW rescue mission for Afgan Village but the POWs sometimes can't navigate their way out of dense urban building areas.

I figure 1 way around it is to be able to teleport them to a position directly in front of you if you are within 2 metres of them and there are no enemies around.I figure with getdir I can find my angle, I would also know one side of a triangles length by setting how far they would be moved in front of me.With the setpos comand I am not sure if you can set the angle of the comand relative to your own direction?

I am not sure if I have explained that very clear, but would anyone please be able to guide me if you understand what I am trying to do?

Thanks again

Frosty

Edit: @CarlGustaffa: True, modelToWorld would suit ideally for this case, since the direction is already relative.

Try this or a variation of it.

relPos.sqf:

// Desc: offset a position by a certain amount in a certain direction

private ['_pos', '_dir', '_distance', '_x', '_y', '_z', '_newPos'];
_pos = _this select 0;
_distance = _this select 1;
_dir = _this select 2;

_x = (_pos select 0)+(_distance * sin(_dir));
_y = (_pos select 1)+(_distance * cos(_dir));
_z = (_pos select 2);

_newPos = [_x, _y, _z];
_newPos;

Edited by Dr_Eyeball

Thanks for the fast replies guys.

Doc....that worked perfectly...I slightly modded it to suit the rest of my script. Now I have to think about how it works...I want to understand what its doing.

Also I will read about modeltoworld. I haven't come across that before.

Thanks again guys.

Frosty