Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Make one, we'll pin it :)

Done : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?159019-The-Newcomers-Introduction-Thread&p=2439092#post2439092

Well, the following rule should be adapted accordingly :

§22) No user introduction threads

Welcome to the BI Forums! However please note that we do not allow any "I'm the new one", "I'm back" or "I'm leaving" threads here. If you want to feel welcome simply jump into an ongoing discussion and combine your hello with a thoughtful and insightful post!

Edited by ProfTournesol

Well we still don't want to encourage them doing it you know ;)

So, after the bomshell, can mods confirm that all is well in the BI world here now? Anything more affected to be announced? I assume its all back to form until people sort out passwords and log back in of course.

All should be fine now :)

hopefully :cool: {droplets of sweat falls all around}

Unless you were a bit of an idiot like me and still had an out of date email address linked to the profile :P

Unless you were a bit of an idiot like me and still had an out of date email address linked to the profile :P

+1 qouth Orc, blushing (thanks again, Placebo)

BTW, several time this evening on posting a reply to a thread I get a Firefox message asking to confirm I want 'to leave the page' If I say yes, my message doesn't show up. If I say no,

the message box is still open. For one post I said "no" twice & hit "submit reply" again. Then I gave up, went out & came back to find the message had three repeats of the text.

Something is a bit fubar somewhere.

XP Pro 32, Firefox v22.0.

This is actually regarding the BIki more than the forum.

I saw something wrong on the following page, but apparently the BIKI does not allow me to make an account so that I could report it.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Code_Optimisation#Measuring_Velocity_Scalar

While I'm at it, if someone wants to report it themselves... The "error" is:

To find a vector's magnitude, using "VECTOR distance [0,0,0]" returns a result close to correct but is not constant.

If you need an exact result, the best choice is still to use "VECTOR call BIS_fnc_magnitude".

You can test it by pasting the following code in the in-game debug console:

onEachFrame { 

_vectorExample = [500,700,220];  hintSilent parseText format [
"VECTOR distance [0,0,0]: %1<br/>
BIS_fnc_magnitude: %2", 
_vectorExample distance [0,0,0], 
_vectorExample call BIS_fnc_magnitude];
 };

The result with the distance command looks like it follows a y = sin(x) curve...

My two pence for the community =)

Suma is the lead programmer of Bohemia Interactive. The moderators on this forum are not BI employees and are not privy to any extra information regarding their positions on development.

This thread is for getting clarifications on the forum rules or on forum moderation from moderators. It is not the place to ask about Bohemia Interactive's development policies.

Or due to the bis hacking incident where everyone had to change their passwords, received the email then changed and forgot the new password and tried to get another one only for the idiots who provide my email to have broke their service. :mad:

So instead of being sensible and contacting a moderator/admin etc you simply create a duplicate account and therefore risk a permanent ban from the forums? Not overly smart.

I have a few questions:

Is it possible for me to edit/configure the forum style or background color?

Due to a eye problem i am having difficulties reading the forum when the background is as light as this one, so i was wondering if it is possible for me to change the colors of the background and fonts?

Also: When will i be able to create new threads myself?

Is there a specific number of posts i have to make or is it based on my activity/frequence of visits to the forum?

Thanks in advance.

No one has yet given out the number of posts you need to make to gain unrestricted access, so I won't either. It is not a large number.

No one has yet given out the number of posts you need to make to gain unrestricted access, so I won't either. It is not a large number.

I was rereading the forum rules, and I failed to see in which point stated that it's not allowed to complain ( in an educated manner obviously )? Could any moderator give us some insight about that.

BTW as long as you live in a democratic country, in all of them there is free speech by law/constitution.

Sure thing:

§5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Posting "any news" or "is it out yet" type posts are also spam. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles. Spam may be dealt with by post count reduction, Post Restriction and/or formal warning.

Complaining is useless and offers nothing to a discussion.

On the other hand, stating a opinion (given the thread fits) is surely allowed, be it positive or negative. Anyone is encouraged to point out flaws and bugs in a way that can be reproduced and verified by the devs. As people might know, they are quite busy and the more pre-work the users do for them (reproduction steps as example), the more productive they can be.

And about the freedom of speech. Wrong. This is a privately owned forum so "free speech by law/constitution" doesn't apply by default. However, we do not censor any posts/threads because of it's content alone, if we do it is because of language/attitude.

Actually, DM is correct. This is a privately owned forum, so BI could theoretically enforce any arbitrary rules that tickled their fancy - including the suppression of negative feedback if they so chose. It's like if you were invited into someone's home and then insulted their kids, they would have every right to kick you out.

Anyway, this thread is veering off topic, so let's please cut the meta-discussion. Questions about the forum rules, free speech and Steam's refund policy belong elsewhere.

Sir, don't take it as a resistance or discussion. But you are not entirely correct, BI can't enforce any arbitrary rules even if its a private owned forum, they could face legal actions ( you can't neither kick someone from your house legally, at least not in the EU countries even if he/she insults your kid, only a judge can ).

But I agree with you that this is not the point of this thread, so your wish is my command :)

Myke;2501148']Sure thing:

Complaining is useless and offers nothing to a discussion.

On the other hand' date=' stating a opinion (given the thread fits) is surely allowed, be it positive or negative. Anyone is encouraged to point out flaws and bugs in a way that can be reproduced and verified by the devs. As people might know, they are quite busy and the more pre-work the users do for them (reproduction steps as example), the more productive they can be.

And about the freedom of speech. Wrong. This is a privately owned forum so "free speech by law/constitution" doesn't apply by default. However, we do not censor any posts/threads because of it's content alone, if we do it is because of language/attitude.[/quote']

So if you wanted to discuss said "free speech" or the de/merits of posting dissatisfaction vs complaint vs criticism vs negative opinion vs harassment, would that be best suited to the Offtopic section?

Sir, don't take it as a resistance or discussion. But you are not entirely correct, BI can't enforce any arbitrary rules even if its a private owned forum, they could face legal actions ( you can't neither kick someone from your house legally, at least not in the EU countries even if he/she insults your kid, only a judge can ).

Sorry what?

Sorry what?

I don't want to write a huge post about the law in the EU. So I'll be brief:

As a citizen of that countries you can't make whatever rule / condition you want in a private forum / club / disco / company / house , if it's against some basic laws / constitution.

In that democratic systems, there is what's called the Empire of the Law. Which mean that the law is among everyone.

It's a mistake quite wide for example for disco owners, that think that they can restrict entrance to who they want to their business ( for example you can't ban people to enter in your business because of their race ); and legally in some situations they can't.

Even laws approved by parliaments have been derogated by European tribunals ( because they were not agree with the common law ).

So no, no one ( not even Chuck Norris ) in EU countries can enforce any kinds of arbitrary rules; not even inside their own property.

Ok, the word "arbitrary" in my post was badly chosen. The laws against discrimination obviously apply everywhere, but these laws only cover discrimination against people because of their gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation etc. It is perfectly legal to refuse people service for other reasons, including difference of opinion. ;)

As applied to a forum like this one: say a moderator were to delete all of your posts and ban you for no apparent reason, you'd have great difficulty making a discrimination case.

Fortunately, we don't do that. :D

Edited by MadDogX