Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

these 'draconian' measurements actually solved 99% of the issues with spam and moderators can then focus fully on the human behavior in discussions

also majority of these changes are active over 1 year, some even over 1.5 year ...

seeing the amount of newly registered users who take active part daily ... it just works ... ;)

We didnt have such draconian measures for the last decade and we weren't over run by pictures of cocks or whatever...

As Max said, what we did have is manual approval of each new forum registration. While you did not see any spam, we sure did. And not to mention manually scouring the web for each e-mail address to asses its spam potential.

Now we see less of it, the public doesn't see it, new members are processed automatically and don't have to wait for us to approve them as before. The only bad thing about it is that you have to get a few genuine posts before you can put whatever in your profile fields. Apart from a couple of instances where things went wrong for a few hours, long standing members were never the subject of such limitations.

If we're going to compare, I'd say it was more draconian to register then wait a few days before we get to you through manual approval than being limited on what you can put in your profile for a few posts. I dread to think what the manual approval queue would look like when A3 Alpha was released.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

While you did not see any spam, we sure did. And not to mention manually scouring the web for each e-mail address to asses its spam potential.

Now we see less of it, the public doesn't see it, new members are processed automatically and don't have to wait for us to approve them as before. The only bad thing about it is that you have to get a few genuine posts before you can put whatever in your profile fields.

Quite. The sign of a well moderated forum is one that, from the users perspective, doesn't need moderating.

Well just my two cents;

Registering on the forum with 3 "are you human" questions? sure why not took me all of 5 extra seconds but the limitations of only being able to post in some areas of the forum and no new threads also not informing of this, my first post here so not sure if it will unlock anything?

Also PM to moderators and/or staff does NOT work as a poster with 0 posts even though the forum says staff should work.

FAQ does NOT say anything about what you actually need to do to be able to post.

There is no (at least not very easy to find) information about how to become more than a "spectator user" after registering.

While I do understand trying to keep spam-bots away, making the forum feel un-accessible, especially a support forum isn't really a good way to go and I would color myself as a fairly advanced user and a forum junkie so I can only imagine how a novis trying to get help would feel?

Well just my two cents;

Registering on the forum with 3 "are you human" questions? sure why not took me all of 5 extra seconds but the limitations of only being able to post in some areas of the forum and no new threads also not informing of this, my first post here so not sure if it will unlock anything?

Also PM to moderators and/or staff does NOT work as a poster with 0 posts even though the forum says staff should work.

FAQ does NOT say anything about what you actually need to do to be able to post.

There is no (at least not very easy to find) information about how to become more than a "spectator user" after registering.

While I do understand trying to keep spam-bots away, making the forum feel un-accessible, especially a support forum isn't really a good way to go and I would color myself as a fairly advanced user and a forum junkie so I can only imagine how a novis trying to get help would feel?

I agree, it's not really explained when you stop being the "rookie user". I've been told it's basically "a couple of posts" so it's not something even I can give a concrete answer to right now.

As for the PM's and multiple verifications, they sound like bugs. I'll raise some issues with the ones who maintain a forum software and try to get it fixed.

As for novices, we've been getting a lot of new people here from various backgrounds recently so it doesn't seem to be a giant hurdle.

The larger issue that I'm observing right now is that the new people adjusting on how these forums operate on a social and community level in comparison to other forums out there that are more open and unattended.

imo the hurdle it's with people just trying to complain for sake of complain ...

the only valid bug/issue is the PM to admins/mods not working ...

multiple questions on registration are intended

post / features limitation based up to couple of posts are intended

there is reason it's setup as it is setup because it does work ...

(before 100% of unwanted content spammers (both automated and manual) got into forum, after 0.1%)

yet the registration gets simpler when unified profile system and it's registration is used again (probably early next week)

Often my signature doesnt get send with the messages and/or edits I post.

Any idea on how to fix that? Greetings!

Often my signature doesnt get send with the messages and/or edits I post.

Any idea on how to fix that? Greetings!

Your signature will only display once per page. If you look at my posts on this page, you'll notice that only my first post has my signature. This is intentional.

Mmm why would you need to have made a forum post before you can PM anyone ?

Mmm why would you need to have made a forum post before you can PM anyone ?

It is necessary to keep spambots away. Not our prefered solution but one that works. Apologies. ;)

I noticed that the Tophe's vehicle respawn script has been broken by the recent game update and that he hasn't updated it, so I decided to update my own very simple vehicle respawn, that you can change only the respawn delay on it and it works with the latest update. Should I post it in his thread or do you think it warrants its own thread for release? (it does take some inspiration from him such as a few of the variable names which are pretty logically named anyway)

I would put it in your own thread, definitely.

Ok, will do thank you

Congrats to the new three musketeers, even if they are four ;). Hats off to the retired ones, particularly W0lle, you did a wonderful job :286:

Can you please (re)consider one sticky introduction/welcome thread in the offtopic forums.

Would make the forum a more friendly place.

I have no problem with an introduction thread.

I have no problem with an introduction thread.

Yep, that will avoid spam posts of newcomers who needs a postcount to send a PM.

Yep, that will avoid spam posts of newcomers who needs a postcount to send a PM.

I can see that would be one of the good reasons to have such a thread.

On another note.

Since the livestreams are now over and that E3 is just around the corner - and we got new threads for E3 - the 'Arma 3 - Pre-E3 Livestream Hangouts' thread has done its duty, has it not?

Irrelevant now. :)

Edited by colossus

Sure, I can reopen it on a trial basis. Please report any rule infractions you see there though. It's very difficult to see who the 'repeat offenders' are when the thread is just a huge flamebash fest. If it starts going around in circles again it's closed for good until there's a statement from the developers worth discussing.

So, nothing new on the "need for an introduction topic for newcomers so that they don't spam the forum" front ?

Make one, we'll pin it :)