Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

Dear mods

i dont think this banning series is very productive

you ban people for defending there ideas and work maybe its a better idea to change the attitude of the people that are whining

if you can say nothing nice don't say Notting ( Will Smith )

We only ban people who deserve it. :)

Is there any chance of getting the max image size increased?

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

I do have one question. How is saying that a particular post (or series of posts) creates an urge to vomit offensive? Or atleast offensive enough for a ban? I've seen hundreds of posts that were legitimate offensive/harassing posts get ignored, and I've even seen worse from moderators. (Note: I'm not commenting on how the forum is moderated. I simply have seen worse from mods)

I have one question too: Why is it impossible for some to finally settle the 'wld427 issue'? His oh-so-terrible ban has been reversed into a 7 days suspension already, so why all that fuss about it?

By now it's obvious that his post which caused the ban was simply to attack Sickboy because he got some issue with him for whatever reason. Clearly a violation of §1.

The posts you are referring to are not ignored, they probably were just not noticed by us - we do not check every thread and post made here.

And the forum rules do not apply to moderators.

Edit: Your edit came too late.

I strongly advise each of wld427 fans to stop wasting our time.

Edited by W0lle

Just going to ask a question and i want to try and be careful how i ask it because i don't want to offend or upset any of the moderators here, but i just have some concerns that annoy me with the way some of you deal with posts on this forum....

1. Everytime a member makes a thread, does it cost the site money? are you charged for them? reason i ask is the way some of the mods close topics seems like you are in competition for clsoing topics. it looks like there are more closed topics on this forum than open ones.

2. as a mod do you have the ability to merge, and move topics or is it just lock them? again reason i ask is some topics are locked simply because another thread already exists or someone posted something in the wrong place. so rather than moving or merging these said topics they just get locked, meaning you end up with a locked topic and a duplicate topic open up somewhere else, this just seems lazy to me, speaking for myself who moderates many other sites.

3. in the offtopic section it seems threads really do get closed for the most petty reasons and in some cases closed because a sole mod doesn't agree with the thread, and would have been left open if he hadn't closed it. i remember someone posting a question about why armoholic went down and a mod came on and quite rudely said "why is this our problem?" then locked it. The original poster never said it was bis's problem or anything like that, just asked in the offtopic section if anyone else knew something about a different site.

Thats all i have to say i do hope i haven't opened a can of worms or upset any of you mods, but i am on a lot of forums and i just think sometimes it can be a bit overkill with the mod topic closures here.

1. Yea, around 0,0001 € for the cpu cycles needed and writing the data to a HDD :rolleyes:

2. i guess locking something is faster/easier than moving tons of posts

If a new thread gets locked then because there is already an existing one and to prevent cluttering of the forums. It simply makes no sense to have the same discussion going on in several threads in several forums.

Yes, we usually merge such threads but only if the target thread does not turn into a mess of old and new posts after. And yes sometimes it's simply faster to lock a thread than checking and moving it.

Another sample for threads are subject to be closed are the ones which are simply created to get faster answers or because people were too lazy to search for the existing ones (ACE2 or addon request ones).

As for the lazyness: May I remind you that each of us here is a volunteer? We moderate the forums in our free time - after work and school. We have every right to be lazy. ;)

Is there any chance of getting the max image size increased?

Someone asks that about every other week. My guess is that the answer will still be no.

I'm not getting emails from the forum any more. The ones that tell me if a subscribed thread has a reply or if I have a PM.

Could someone feed the email server hamster?

I'm not getting emails from the forum any more. The ones that tell me if a subscribed thread has a reply or if I have a PM.

Could someone feed the email server hamster?

2nd that. I've not had any for several days. Last one was Saturday at 12.21 BST

We can have a wip-round for Hamster feed if you want help? :D

Most probably the hamsters died cause hlavac forgot to feed them. That's the second time he's responsible for the death of the forum hamsters.

We gonna buy new ones asap. We bougth new ones, let's see how long they live this time. :)

Edited by W0lle

Dunno why, but somehow your forums bad word filter seems to have kicked in *stares at sig in unbelief* .. is this bug or feature?

Haven´t found an amended section in the rules, so asking here.

edit: field test reveals it´s only the short f-word being blocked, i can still type fucking shit for instance.

Your very own fault, why you use the F word in your signature. :D

So is the f-word being censored on purpose or is/was it a mistake? I'll just give it a try now: ************************.

Yeah, it gets censored. Why? I thought swearing was allowed on this forum, and as Burnsy says, "fucking" is still possible.

That came out wrong...

Yeah thats retarded. OA is rated 18 and ArmA2 is rated 16+, yet we are not allowed to say ************************?

(Btw, OA 18 and ArmA2 only 16 is strange, if anything it should have been the other way around... :p )

EDIT: Also, ************************ only has 4 letters.

Guys... we know it by now, okay?

The swear word filter was a temporary glitch, these forums aren't populated by children that need hand holding ;)

Fuck, you had me worried there for a while...

You can officially blame me for that, no problem at all. :)

Guys, just a quickie.

It's obvious where addon release threads go, but what about script releases?

For example, Spirited Machines excellent launcher gets a thread in Addons&Mods: release, but it's neither. Lurch's AC130 is actually a suite of scripts, not an addon.

Aside from the fact I maintain that an terms addon and mod are essentially the same thing and maybe confusing for new users, there's no named place for script or tool releases.

Scripts -> Mission Editing and Scripting

Tools for Terrain Editing -> ArmA 2 & OA : TERRAIN - Visitor

Tools for Modelling -> ArmA 2 & OA : MODELLING - O2

Launchers etc. should go to ArmA2 General but Addon&Mods:Complete is fine as well, simply because they are there already.

Scripts -> Mission Editing and Scripting

Tools for Terrain Editing -> ArmA 2 & OA : TERRAIN - Visitor

Tools for Modelling -> ArmA 2 & OA : MODELLING - O2

Launchers etc. should go to ArmA2 General but Addon&Mods:Complete is fine as well, simply because they are there already.

So script releases should go in a forum that is subtitled;

For discussing the technical aspects of creating custom ArmA 2 & the standalone expansion Operation Arrowhead missions as well as scripting.

It just seems to me that there's much more scripting going on these days than there was when this forum structure was devised and that there maybe needs to be a better defined place for script releases.