Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

I guess if you're scanning the server logs to determine which pages are viewed. If not, the data has to be gathered from somewhere, but yea, I don't have a question anymore. :)

Abs

The 'old thread' rule...isn't that more for addons, old news, etc? Kinda like Addon-maker A says in 2001 "I'm making a heli", and 7 years later someone asks for a status update type deal.

The movie thread was closed because it's 'old'...but it wouldn't really make sense for someone to create a new one just to post their favourite war movies, would it?

Just asking.

Abs

Good to see all the old faces still here. Thanks Placebo for letting me back after that 1 and a half year ban!

Gee now everyone knows I'm responsible :(

;)

It would be nice to have a dedicated subforum for tutorials and discussion on making movies in Arma2. Looks to me like it will be a growth industry.

Merged Alx's thread into here (merging with the new forum software is fun!).

Is there a possibility to re-open the Czech forums in some form?

They are still here but I cannot see them from the main page.

Hello, all, new member here.

Anyway, my question is why exactly is there so much excessive locking? I get it, people need to learn to use the search function, and the mods do a great job at reminding them. The problem is, just because a thread is locked, doesn't remove the locked husk of a dead thread from the forum. A lot of the locked threads end up being merged, which creates an unnecessary redundancy.

To be frank, the ArmA 2 General forum looks cluttered beyond belief, with all the little locks everywhere.

On some boards, there are some kind of "graveyards" sub-forum category in which locked threads are ending, this way they continue to exist so the user can read whatever was in them, but they do not clutter at all the regular sub-forum discussions lists.

Hello, all, new member here.

Anyway, my question is why exactly is there so much excessive locking? I get it, people need to learn to use the search function, and the mods do a great job at reminding them. The problem is, just because a thread is locked, doesn't remove the locked husk of a dead thread from the forum. A lot of the locked threads end up being merged, which creates an unnecessary redundancy.

To be frank, the ArmA 2 General forum looks cluttered beyond belief, with all the little locks everywhere.

Because forum members (especially new ones), need to stop 1. being so unobservant and 2. stop being so lazy and searching before posting (it's a very clear forum rule).

Many times we'll merge, sometimes we don't merge so the thread remains as both a lesson to the poster and a reminder to the forum community as a whole.

Because forum members (especially new ones), need to stop 1. being so unobservant and 2. stop being so lazy and searching before posting (it's a very clear forum rule).

Many times we'll merge, sometimes we don't merge so the thread remains as both a lesson to the poster and a reminder to the forum community as a whole.

Wouldn't a PM from a moderator amount to the same thing AND a lesser amount of dead/locked/useless/off-topic threads in the forum or sub-forum?

If the thread no longer servers (or never served) a purpose, wouldn't it be beneficially for the community (especially new users,) to have them purged? Even more so if the locked thread had been merged?

Something must be going wrong if on every page there are three locked threads, usually because the user did not search, and obviously the previously locked threads did not serve as a reminder to the community in this case.

The threads pointing to a merge will be purged in a month or a week or whatever the moderator said automatically. If we only merge them, the creator thinks we deleted his thread as he can't find it.

Wouldn't a PM from a moderator amount to the same thing AND a lesser amount of dead/locked/useless/off-topic threads in the forum or sub-forum?

The offender gets an infraction warning (or actual infraction if previous warnings didn't work), but that's a private thing only they and we can see, so the threads themselves serve as the public reminder, I would say that compared to the old forums there's a far higher percentage of merge/close than there was in the past, it's just looking worse right now because 1. the forums are uber busy at release time and 2. lots of new and/or excitable people ignoring the rules.

Does the 100kb image rule apply to visitor messages too?

Hello mods.

I'm sorry to ask this but i just don't understand, Why does it matter if someone drags an old thread back up?

Someone (probably a person who is new to the forum, like myself) may have a legitimate question to ask about something on an old thread or a point of view to give.

Is it better start a new thread if you don't fully understand something which has been discussed previously or is replying to an 18 month old thread better?

Thanks,

Paul.

Because 99 times out of 100 it's someone going to an old addon/mod thread to ask "any news" which is pointless as if there was news the addon/mod maker would have posted about it themselves. As long as the thread is dragged up for a substantive reason, we have no problem with it, dragging up an old thread to say "any news?" or "I agree" or "cool" is just pointless as it adds nothing to an obviously dead discussion :)

I'd like to ask a question which I'd like to take off the private messaging.

Ever since when does a different opinion from one of the moderators' equal public lynching?

Or even automatically the website name of the target url.

Thats possible (Seen it on other forums), but i find it really annoying and prefer to see to which url the link actually leads to.

I don't want to be picky, but why not simply check your first post on the issue here which I replied to over a month ago?

But this time I will be picky: Your reply did not solve my problem back then. I am sorry but you obviously did not see the conflict I was describing, mabye because of my miserable english, who knows

In the past I had to log in by typing "Albert Schweizer" into the corresponding name field, but in my profile however my username was shown as "Albert Schweitzer". Sounds odd? Well it was that odd for several years. Hence it was totally irrelevant how many similar accounts existed. Being aware of mutiple accounts didnt solve my problem, my worry was to recupperate the right username and password.

But it is all good now. Just telling you that people are not always as dump as your first impression may make you believe.

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

But this time I will be picky: Your reply did not solve my problem back then.

That's not the point, the issue I raised was that I had replied and thus was already addressing the situation so instead of then ignoring my reply and a month later making another post to complain you should have 1. quoted my post and corrected my apparent misunderstanding or 2. PM'd me directly to have me resolve the issue.

In the troubleshooting sections there are a lot of threads that are related and maybe should be merged. That could help sort the forum and the problems I think.

How can we warn a moderator about a thread that should be merged with other one?

How can we warn a moderator about a thread that should be merged with other one?

report.gif <-- ;)