Placebo

New Forums: Feedback thread - Bugs/Suggestions here please.

I´ve got a "Database Error", when i try to open several Threads in the Arma 2 / OA Forum now. Got anyone else the same Problem?

ahh I didn't saw the topic, sorry for spam Dwarden.

anyway it happened to the RO2 thread as well... tho only last page. hit the earlier and it works.

Today i get a lot of Database errors on several threads. Mostly when trying to view the last page i get this:

Database Error Database error

The Bohemia Interactive Forums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:

Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

Open the forums.bistudio.com home page, then try to open another page.

Click the Back button to try another link.

The forums.bistudio.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Tried to reload and empty cache to no avail.

It doesn't happen to all threads, so far i couldn't spot any similarities in the affected threads. It doesn't matter if there are several pages of replies or only a single page (which then results in not being able to even see the thread.

Same goes for this thread here, i can see all pages except the last one. Probably i wont be able to read my own reply once i click on send. :D

Confirmed, reported and forwarded to those in charge :)

Hello

Whilst I am logged in on the Bohemia forum, when I transfer to the Take On Helicopters (TOH) sub forum I am shown as not logged in.

I have tried logging in on that page, and I get a message saying that I am, but when I am returned to the forum I am still shown as not logged in.

I am trying to reply to a message from DnA regarding a thread I started on the Trouble shooting section of TOH. As I am not shown as logged in on that sub forum the system will not let me post my reply.

I have manged to resolve my TOH game problem and would like to tell the community how I resolved it for everyones benefit.

Can you help please. I will keep trying to log onto the TOH site whilst awaiting a reply here.

Thank you.

Well you have V bulletin version 3.8.2. That options every one was asking for should be in the admin control panel. In the left side window.

I would like to see an option for attachments to topics, posts and replies. It would make things easy for members.

While it would be easier for you, it wouldn't be easier for us. As we then have not only to check the forums but also every attachment made.

So no, most probably you won't see attachments allowed here. It worked without for the past 10 years, so I really don't see why we need that now.

Well no, do to the fact that you can control it. The file size and the file types. and Yes it would be easy for every one. and Not just me. If this is the way you been doing for 10 years. Then maybe it's time for a change. If your web hosting services checks for virus and all that crap any way. Just like mine does. So I don't agree with you.

In Arma2 Operation Arrowhead forums I see a lack of a sub forum for reporting all bugs and not only those that are considered as serious.

ArmA 2 & OA - TROUBLESHOOTING

This forum is for reporting hardware/driver issues with ArmA 2 & the standalone expansion Operation Arrowhead as well as for reporting serious bugs.

Troubleshooting issues related to addons/mods should be addressed in the thread of the addon/mod in question, not in here.

Problem with TROUBLESHOOTING forum is that who are we poor members to judge what bug is serious enough to be reported there. Something that is serious for you may not be serious for someone else so this guideline is seems very relative. Also this subforum has many sticky threads (14 of them) and is flooded by hardware and driver issues and especially performance issues, so with all those things combined when someone reports bug there it will soon be sent away from page 1 to page 2 and beyond before most people even see it and can react, confirm or deny the bug and give feedback.

Problem with BETA PATCH TESTING subforum is that it is not officially a place for bug reports even though it has become one. Originally it was meant for reporting beta patch bugs only but everyone hanging around there knows lot of non-beta patch bugs gets reported there too. Another problem using this subforum for any patch bug reporting is that pretty much nobody will read it a beta thread after it is not the newest beta thread anymore. Not to mention to do a forum search in there. So even good bug reports get lost in time there.

Problem with OFFICIAL MISSIONS forum is that it contains a lot of unofficial old bug reports, but it is not so common place for the developers or active moderators to hang around after game gets older than few months and all the most active forumers move away playing something other than official content. Also bug reports there are easily hidden inside gameplay tips and questions. So it takes a lot of time to read to dig them up. Ofcourse it has its moments also in bugfixing, as an example thanks for someone who stickied my thread there, because that really helped many content bug fixes to be released with 1.11 patch.

Next one is more of CIT issue and but let me add it here too to see how the forum and CIT needs each other and how CIT could never remove the importance of the forums as another bug reporting place.

Problem with CIT beeing the primary place for report bugs is a lack of discussion there and the fact that search engine of Redmine is very poor compared to the forum search options of the forums. Before you report it is absolutely vital that you check if bug has been already reported and when you want to find some issues with some keyword it is hard and you can never trust to what category most people put their tickets or if we CIT managers have all new ones arranged fast enough. Another problem in CIT is abandoned tickets. Making a default of everyone that everyone who write something to some CIT ticket would automatically become watchers would increase activity and get more feedback. In forum a thread that gets new replys gets pumped up, but in CIT it will not bump up in a same way. So no new disussion will arise as it could. Well maybe this is intended to make tickets less "wall of text"-style which will take a lot of time to read for the devs with limited time to fix something.

Of all possible improvements in the forums I would separate TROUBLESHOOTING to two different with titles BUGREPORTING (with possible links to CIT ofcourse) and TROUBLESHOOTING OF HARDWARE/DRIVER/PERFORMANCE where those poor FPS issues and something like that which have nothing to do with bugs could go bothering those who like to troubleshoot them.

As a bugfixing activist and one of the CIT managers I personally am very tired on going to TROUBLESHOOTING section at all since there are so many posts where people just want to troubleshoot their performance issues which could easily solved by one thing which is money - buying better gear and stop complaining.

One more thing is to look how short forum title are and when most of us have high resolution wide screen displays there is a long line of empty space behind the titles. It is clear that there are many newbies who only read forum title with dark red capitalized text but not the small sized black text description and this results more threads in wrong place.

I understand changes like these are kind of major, but please consider taking some good out of this feedback if you see any point in it. If not for Arma 2 then Arma 3 forum section maybe.

Edited by Hanzu

Hanzu, I don't think any of those issues will be fix. I all ways thought that Arma 2 and some of the expacks were never up to par. What I mean is that your all ways going to find a bug or more then what you thought. I find new bugs all the time and I never see them reported. That's why I don't bother with reporting them any more. This includes the stock missions and mission editing and scripting all so. So I don't even think Arma 3 will be any better.

Due to the fact of very little help when needed and then trying to get help here when you can't attach files or images. This web site needs an upgrade.

Ice

Umm...is it just me or was the font changed?

And, now it is back to normal.....strange, strange.

Well, it's quite hard to manage the PM box after several years of membership. Could its size be somehow increased ?

Well, it's quite hard to manage the PM box after several years of membership. Could its size be somehow increased ?

i actually dont see a reason for that since you can export both your sent and received boxes to a different of format files

Edited by PuFu

i actually dont see a reason for that sine you can export both your sent and received boxes to a different of format files

How can i do that ?

Scroll to the bottom of the list of messages, there you see "Selected Messages: move to folder....".

Select the messages you want to export, open the dropdown and select download as XML or download as CSV or download asText and press "Go" :)

Oh my friends, this new look is so ugly. No offence intended for all the hard work put into it by the designer/implementer, but I can't even find the option for an alternate style in order to try to revert.

Please tell me it still exists somewhere!

Abs

Oh my friends, this new look is so ugly. No offence intended for all the hard work put into it by the designer/implementer, but I can't even find the option for an alternate style in order to try to revert.

Please tell me it still exists somewhere!

Abs

Yes, I agree, is there still option to change style or there is now only this default style ?

Hi,

Like the new forum design! One suggestion though. Could you make the background of Sticky posts a little darker in the theme? It's quite hard to spot where the stickies end and the posts start as the background is only slightly different. Also some of the buttons (you tube, strikethrough and spoiler) went a bit wonky!

Is this CKEditor? Sure looks like it - bloody nightmare getting this to work sometimes (what with it slapping paragraph blocks everywhere and so on) so well done for that!

Anyway, nice to have a freshen up!

EDIT ---> OK, there's a thread elsewhere for this! Would one of the mods be so kind as to move my post!

Edited by Jedra
The title was rubbish!

Also have to agree, unfortunately. The main forum page (index.php) and the thread view (showthread.php) are fine, but the forum viewing page (forumdisplay.php) needs a lot of love. For one thing, I'm finding it hard to distinguish between stickied, read and undread threads.

EDIT: Yeah, that big red envelope icon definitely needs some more variation. I think it should be grey on threads without new posts, and perhaps darker on sticky threads, as suggested in another topic.

+1.

I really appreciate the effort. Rather going with time than holding on old stuff. But this new appearance... all I can see on the forum viewing pages are big, red rectangle icons. Please, at least give me an option to change it back for myself.

Nothing against having more style options, but I just think this style lacks enough tonal or light/dark contrast to make different forum's areas more clear.

... it's as if there's a white veil over my eyes, or as if some areas are too "shy" to be seen.