Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

Widescreen

I play with 1360x768 (widescreen) and it`s working perfect, the advantage is that you see more of the area around you.

1680x1050 16:10 aspect ratio, but it messes up the UI like in this pic (the chat boc for example should be at the edge of the screen):

arma2008-09-3016-13-58-24.jpg

Works flawlessly for me. 16:10, 1680x1050. No egg shapes, but some addons don't have widescreen support(UKF weapons) so you can see through the ironsights at the edges, if it uses an image instead of a 3d ironsight.

Works flawlessly for me. 16:10, 1680x1050. No egg shapes, but some addons don't have widescreen support(UKF weapons) so you can see through the ironsights at the edges, if it uses an image instead of a 3d ironsight.

I think one of the UKF members released a little fix for that.

I think one of the UKF members released a little fix for that.

Yeah, it's somewhere, but I can't find it :(. I remember it being posted in one topic, but I can't recall where and when I went to look for it, it wasn't there.

I play on 1680 x 1050, 16 : 10 Ratio

Looks awesome, haven't really had any problems with it.

I play on 1680 x 1050, 16 : 10 Ratio

Looks awesome, haven't really had any problems with it.

Me too. It seems even greater when using TrackIR. :cool:

Works fine for me. My only complaint is the map screen... I have white bars on the sides (to keep the map at 4:3) where I would rather see black... or more map.

(think of the black bars on widescreen movies on a 4:3 TV... but these are on the side, and white)

1920x1080 works good for me....

I turn off scaling so that theres never any stretching on my screen. My map has black bars.

Ah I forgot, I do have black bars on the left and right side of my screen when loading, and looking at the map. Other than that, it's awesome.

When you turn off scaling. Is that done in software or hardware?

Also, can you play old games that don't support widescreen? Do you get black to the right and left then too?

Well, aside from the built-in aspect correciton in the graphics config menu of the game, ATI and nVidia provide hardware scaling options, and most LCD monitors do as well.

LCD scaling is hit or miss, and quality varies

Graphics card scaling is best, but theoretically can lower your FPS. I know nVidia's is buggy (only 1/3 the 3d applications I try actually get scaled).

The in-game option is your best bet. It supports all the common ratios

4:3, 16:9, 16:10, etc

When you turn off scaling. Is that done in software or hardware?

Also, can you play old games that don't support widescreen? Do you get black to the right and left then too?

I disable scaling in nvidia's control panel.

I get blacks bars on sides, top&bottom, or both depending on the resolution.

Meaning whatever the res of the source is, its centered and displayed pixel for pixel. Native is 1920x1200, so I have bars on top and bottom with 1920x1080.

I do have black bars on the left and right side of my screen when loading, and looking at the map. Other than that, it's awesome.

Same here, i use my lcd-tv as my monitor so i play arma on the native resolution 1920 X 1080. Looks great.

Hrm, if you use A.C.E. their HUDs are set for 4:3, so they appear further in the screen than they should. It doesn't break anything, it's just strange looking.

works ok in widescreen on my laptop, wish i had more ram in the lappy though but thats OT :P

I have 1680x1050@60, 16:10 ratio on 22". It works OK if you dont think about mayor FPS drop compared to 19" or smt. But that is expected. The thing is that arma could take more advantage of widescreen. For instance, when you start GPS it is set like on 4:3 (2, 3cm from edge of screen). Usually its not a big deal except for landing aircraft with short view distance (sometimes you are not allowed to set more - warfare client). You cant find landing streep until you are almost on it becouse you cant see it so GPS helps a lot but when you need to make a tight turn to land or to shoot something you cant see it becouse GPS in in the way. Otherwise, arma is a lot better to play on 22" with everything on low then to play it on 19" with everything on high.

I just bought widescreen yesterday and had a little play session to check it out. I wish I'd done it two years ago! It is MUCH better, depite having to reduce my gfx settings very slightly (my PSU is too weak for my monster hardware :D).

Previous: 17" 4:3 1280x1024

New: 20" 16:10 1680x1050

After I've bought a proper PSU, I'll be using 3 monitors

My mate has just bought Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital and is running with 3x15" 4:3 monitors, each with 1024x768 res. It looks most excellent except for the GPS in the edge of the centre screen.