Sign in to follow this  
Rommel

Execution Boundaries?

I've recently discovered ArmA has no limitations on its boundaries for execution.

This was discovered accidentally when trying out this (curiosity):

execVM format["%1",__FILE__]

Which worked wonderfully, now that would be all good, but the path for __FILE__ is: "D:\Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\ ... etc"

So then I wondered, can I execute scripts completely out of the way of anything related to the game, and proceeded to execute a script in my documents.

execvm "D:\Documents\test.sqf";

This completely shocked me as to the possibilities; especially in real time editing for missions; where you could patch missions or even change them via having a remote folder to the mission being played. For me at least, this enables a whole new kind of live debugging during missions; thought only previously capable on privately hosted servers.

Naturally these would only work server side, as the client cannot update the scripts from the server.

Does anyone know about this already? If so are their any restrictions or boundaries?

OFP had a similar issue at one point with loadfile, it was kept low key as it is a security concern and it is good that it's fixed.