Sign in to follow this  
the.d

Add On Compilation for more Realism and Immersion (revised)

Very very sad face :(

I really don't know what to say my friend, you will be sorely missed by myself and many from this community.

I wish you all the best mate.

Best Regards

Mark

Edited by Mark XIII

I'm very, very sorry to hear this. I hope ArmA 2 gets whatever patches it needs and you'll reconsider. Thanks for all your work in putting this thead together.

If a company thinks it's okay to release unfinished, bug-ridden products and hopes to compensate for the resulting deficits (many of them detrimental to any essential gameplay) with their community reputation and the promise for future patches and we fall for it once, then shame on them.

If such a company were to do the exact same thing, if not worse, a second time and we still fall for it - shame on us.

I may be the only one, but I actually had fun with Arma.

But yes, goodbye.

Dear Community,

If a company thinks it's okay to release unfinished, bug-ridden products and hopes to compensate for the resulting deficits (many of them detrimental to any essential gameplay) with their community reputation and the promise for future patches and we fall for it once, then shame on them.

If such a company were to do the exact same thing, if not worse, a second time and we still fall for it - shame on us.

I do now know where the motivation lies in releasing something like that. I do not know why beta testers didn't bother much about e.g. enemy AI walking through walls and not being able to drive along a straight road. But the fact is, this shell of a game, ArmA2, is out now and we shouldn't support that kind of behaviour.

After my initial skepticism was more than justified and my disappointment and, well, my resentment towards the hordes of deluded fanboys, who still think they can rationalize their brand loyalty, are outrageously huge I decided to take my leave. Personally, I am done with ArmA altogether for the time being. It was fun while it lasted, and I hope ArmA2 gets the vitally needed community treatment as its predecessor. But, personally, I've had it. By all means: Enjoy the game, if you have the necessary mental flexibility - I know I won't be able to.

Thanks to all the industrious, supportive and terribly nice people I've met in here! You made this a great time!

Armed Assault was and still is great to play. However, ArmA1 sadly never reached its potential limit with so many things that couldn't easily be fixed by the community, such as multiplayer "teleporting" lags, mediocre VOIP, flaws in the basic AI system, et cetera. I was (and still am, to some extend) worried that ArmA2 might turn out the same.

However, seeing the effort BIS is putting into patches and community support I spent the money on Armed Assault 2 after all. I might not like the game (yet) but I sure would like to encourage BIS in the way they are currently dealing with the situation. As inconsistent as I now seem with this statement, I am still quite critical towards the game and its rushed release but I am also rather impressed to see BIS is actually struggling to maintain their customer base.

ArmA2 will, above all, require massive fixes in terms of performance, stability and AI behaviour.

The community will provide for outstanding custom content, no doubt - but it needs a clean and stable base to work on.

For me, ArmA2 is the last bastion of "intelligent gaming" (hence the above statement of dire disappointment on its first release date). Most people fancy graphics over content and ease-of-use over long-term complexity and fun. Maybe we can change that by showing off ArmA2's true (and not just its hypothetical) potential.

I know it's not worth much, but you got me back and I shall try to get some friends of mine - who loved Operation Flashpoint - to join in as well. All the best of luck with your sales, BIS.

Major engine problems are common for such new technology as A2 when developed by such small team, actually I'm quite satisfied with the way BI releases patches. It's just not the best advertisement for them beign known as 'greedy people who sell betas' (no matter how the game improves every next patch).

I believe some minor flaws are result of breaking the "windows with gratings" rule:

This is hypothetical building owned by some company.

GO:

|[|||][|||][|||]|
|               |
|[|||][|||][|||]|
|               |

"We apply gratings for one floor if previous floors have gratings."

Thief must climb up to 3rd floor to break the window and steal the data.

How do BI games look alike?

NOGO :

|[|||][|||][|||]|
|               |
|[   ][   ][   ]|
|               |

"We build new features without caring about low-level flaws that nobody cares about."

Result: scripters and addonmakers angry for dealing with unfinished and uncontrollable engine. However stunning new features make end-users (players) feel fit and overwhelmed by them.

Haha, well - yeah! So far BIS is working hard to fix things, though. Let's see where this is heading.

As we can see in this list, without community contributions, ArmA(1) would have died mere weeks after its release. Eventually ArmA2 will need people like you, zGuba, to make the most of it and push it to its full potential. And for that we indeed need that "1st floor" of your example :-)