Sign in to follow this  
Binary

Linux versus Microsoft ArmA server

Hello smile_o.gif

We're planning to move our clan server in the near future to a new machine - and I was wondering if there would be any performance to gain by moving to a Linux platform.

The new server itself is a standard workstation PC.

3GHz Pentium D

2GB RAM

74GB 10.000 RPM Raptor Harddrive for OS and ArmA

The machine is currently running MS Server 2008 - but could just as easily be running a Linux distro.

Personally, I don't see any reason to be running Windows Server 2008, especially not for Arma. I think a linux server will be (much) faster, as it consumes less RAM and CPU (when configured correctly) so there's more left for the dedicated server! In fact, you don't even need to use a GUI to run the Arma server under Linux, which is a great memory-saver.

I'm running an Arma linux server myself (for some co-op missions from time to time) and once configured it runs like dream :)

if i were you, I would not switch to linux.

Linux needs more knowledge to administrate

You will never be able to install the sucessor of ArmaLib or other DLL-injecting tools

You will not be able to install beta patches because BIS does not release beta linux servers

But you will save money

Regards

Crowe

Contrary to popular belief, we have found little (if any) performance difference between Linux and Windows versions of the dedicated server. This does not surprise me - considering the time we spend in the OS calles is already very small with Windows version, even if Linux would be a lot faster, it would make the difference hard to observe.

Well said Suma,

I myself prefer the "ease" of Windows.

But it does cost more per monthly server rentals. (Damn Licensing)

Contrary to popular belief, we have found little (if any) performance difference between Linux and Windows versions of the dedicated server. This does not surprise me - considering the time we spend in the OS calles is already very small with Windows version, even if Linux would be a lot faster, it would make the difference hard to observe.

Very interesting.... Is it to be same with Arma2 Dedicated Server?

I read that the Multi-Threading of Linux is better, so maybe Arma2 Dedi-Server will run better on Linux?

Although it's not quite ontopic, one request to BIS programmers:

Please do better support Linux servers. They are quite cheaper for rental and for a lot of people this is an important point.

As example, our clan is still waiting for the next final ArmA patch and related to this, the updated Linux server so we could finally benefit from 1.15beta (and later fixes/updates) as for now we're stuck on 1.14.

Sorry for not being right on-topic but seeing Suma posting/reading here encouraged me to do so. My apologies.

Thanks for the replies. Especially Suma - that was exatcly what i wanted to know.

I'll stay with the MS Server 2008 for now ;)

Would there be any difference with 64-bit OS?

Like Microsoft Server 2008 64-bit or Microsoft XP 64-bit?

Would it be faster / slower or the same?

I wonder this also....but, my 64bit OS runs arma_server.exe as a 32bit application.

Like Microsoft Server 2008 64-bit or Microsoft XP 64-bit?

Would it be faster / slower or the same?

AMD’s 64-bit processors are designed in a way that allows 32-bit opcodes to be executed natively on the chip like they would be on a 32-bit processor. The same is true for Intel’s Xeon. For Itanium the story is slightly different. Even though there is on die (on the processor chip) support for x86 code, Intel introduced what they called an EL or Emulation Layer. The EL is a layer helping the 64-bit CPU to “understand†the 32-bit opcodes.

The Windows operating system introduces a very slim layer, implemented in a set of DLLs, to give 32-bit applications access to the 64-bit OS. This layer is called WOW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit) and does all the magic necessary to make 32-bit applications feel good on 64-bit Windows.

WOW64 and the built-in support of 32-bit on the processor enable the execution of 32-bit application in a 64-bit Windows environment.

WOW64 Implementation Details (MSDN)

Edited by Mojo
Fixed link