Sign in to follow this  
Jennik

BI Forums downtime

As Placebo has already announced in the recent Community Blog entry at Bistudio.com, these forums will be turned to "read only" status during this week because of the migration to a new forum engine.

See you soon on our new Bohemia Interactive forums!

During the migration of the forums several unpredictable problems occurred. We are currently working on their fixing, we apologise to everyone for the delay and we will inform you as soon as we know more..

Quote[/b] ]Due to the unpredictable problems which arose during the attempted forum migration, we have decided to temporarily re-enable access to the old forums whilst we try to resolve the issues which arose. All being well once we have discovered the cause of these problems we will perform the migration again.

So please for now enjoy our vintage forums and we'll update you soon with the migration status.

Source

The damn beast won't die biggrin_o.gifpistols.gif

Does that mean another week of downtime?

This is a sign...

The old forums are too good to disappear.. just like that.

At least keep the old layout it says tounge2.gif

A sign indeed, the old forums havent given up just yet wink_o.gif

Hopefully they're just doing a sneaky upgrade to a faster Gainestown-based Xeon server. biggrin_o.gif

I told you to keep Ralphie away from the red buttons  tounge2.gif

I´m curious to see the new forum. I´ll be doing so in Singapore and Bali for a month smiley_emoticons_pirat5.gif

So what was the reason you couldn't convert the forums?

User permissions would be my suspect.

Upgrades can cause you to drink........a lot.

This is a sign...

The old forums are too good to disappear.. just like that.

At least keep the old layout it says tounge2.gif

Yes please. This layout is excellent inlove.gif

Kind of disappointing... I do hope you fellows get it done, waiting already so long for proper forum software and all..

Can I suggest a easier way to do this.

1. Keep the old forum "as is" but read only.

2. Use Fast or some other indexing sw to make the search function to work. Optional provide new search URL and/or gui.

3. Decide the new strukcture for the new forum (already done I suppose).

4. Convert only the user name,mail, password etc - forget the sign, and other non important stuff if it is difficult.

5. Let the users inside the new forum.

It will cost close to nothing (exept nr 2) and it is very fast to do. Nr 3, 4 and 5 is not dependent of 2.

Screw the accounts if you need to as well.

I couldn't care less about the post count wink_o.gif

Plus you'll get rid of thousands of inactive accounts xmas_o.gif

What's the plan for the new forum now? Is it still being worked on or is going to be done at some point in the future?

AFAIK work is still going on.

Apparently they've identified and resolved the problem we had and there will be another migration attempt Monday I believe, assuming that works we will then roll out the new forums ASAP, it will initially be with the default skin/layout which is of course crap as we saw with the beta test we did, but will be worked on piece by piece as the forums are active.

The main issue for me with the default forums is the layout and how much space is wasted in threads and how the avatar/poster info stuff is messed about so I'll try to push for that to be first priority.

Thanks for the info Placebo,

I'll wait a few days before posting on the new forums, so you'll have to find another quinea pig to test your ban/wl/warnings ect, on.  whistle.gif

thumbs-up.gif

Thanks for the update Placebo, much appreciated wink_o.gif

Better luck this time!

We've successfully resolved the migration issues we were having and will thus turn off these forums at noon today GMT to complete a second migration attempt, fingers crossed this will be the last one!

Estimates are currently that the forums will return, all fresh and shiny sometime Thursday 9th April.