Sign in to follow this  
GepardenK

"Easy to implement" feature list

At this stage I really doubt BIS have the time to implement any more major ideas posted on this forum. But let’s have a brainstorm on those small but important features that would be no problem for BIS to add to the game if they wanted to. The idea is to come up with small useful features that does not drastically change gameplay or make things unnecessary complicated. These are features that BIS could have time to either get into the game pre launch, or in a future patch (If they want to of course).

My ideas:

1: Some kind of tool for easy measuring distances on the main map. Like a line you draw from one point to another. Useful for sniping amongst other things

2: AI automatically eject from critically damaged helicopters. Even if I`m the commander and have given no such command. Same goes for trucks when the driver is killed.

3: Add a "Land" command for AI helicopters (discussed in another thread) and add a "turn engine on/off" command for AI`s driving all kind of vehicles

4: When you start to run while aiming down the sight, the player should return to a normal stance when he stops running. In Arma you return to the "aim down the sight" stance, which feels clunky and usually gets you killed.

5: When auto dropping your equipment because you’re swimming, you still keep your sidearm.

6: Being able to reload your weapon while sitting in the back of a vehicle

Quote[/b] ]2: AI automatically eject from critically damaged helicopters. Even if I`m the commander and have given no such command. Same goes for trucks when the driver is killed.

um,...i'm pretty sure they do that already.

Quote[/b] ]3: Add a "Land" command for AI helicopters

that one definetely gets my vote.

Quote[/b] ]6: Being able to reload your weapon while sitting in the back of a vehicle

that one too, but i think i read somewhere that you are

actually going to be able to fire your weapons out of vehicles

in arma2.(?) if that's true then i guess reloading would come naturally...

edit:

some suggestions of my own.

- being able to fire launchers from all stances. (see a.c.e.)

- some way to immediatelly abort any animation (reloading, weapons switching, etc.) in an emergency.

- reloading while walking.

- crouched running (see a.c.e.)

- ability to support weapons on fences, walls, windows,...(see a.c.e.)

- ability to scale small obstacles (has been implemented i think)

- aiming over sights should always "zoom" to realistic fov. (maybe make it optional).

edit: in fact, just forget about the zoom and simply make it "snap" into place.

having to wait for the view to "zoom" often makes the difference between shooting and being shot.

that's something that actually felt a lot more streamlined in ofp.

- aiming over sights should always "zoom" to realistic fov. (maybe make it optional).

edit: in fact, just forget about the zoom and simply make it "snap" into place.

having to wait for the view to "zoom" often makes the difference between shooting and being shot.

that's something that actually felt a lot more streamlined in ofp.

Sorry, I cannot agree with this one. Being able to Aim over sights from an unzoomed perspective is critically important for us who play with crosshairs disabled.  

Some more Ideas:

- More fluid movement when walking (as infantry) on roads or inside buildings. I love the "realistic" head wobbling in Arma, but it`s only realistic when moving through rough terrain. Inside buildings it just feels clunky and unrealistic. A more fluid (NOT faster) movement when walking/running inside buildings and on roads would make close combat feel much less clunky, and it would make roads feel more real.

- I would love to be able to make arrows and markers on the map while playing coop. Not permanent stuff like we already have, but arrows/markers that just last for half a second or something. So that I can show my plan to my teammates while speaking to them through teamspeak. It would be the virtual equalent to "Coming up with a plan while sitting in the woods around the map" (In other words: realistic). Each player could have their own colour on their markers. A must for the upcoming coop campaign!

- Edit: We need a small ammo bar beside each clip in your inventory. This would not give you the exact numbers of bullets left, but it would give you an idea of how many (realistic because in RL you would feel the weight of each clip). This is very useful when salvaging clips from a dead soldier, and you want to throw away the clips with the least bullets first.

- Edit: There was a realistic error in the previous games that needs fixing. When reloading a weapon in RL before your clip is empty, there will always be one bullet left in your gun. Therefore after reloading you should actually have 31 bullets to fire before you’re out, not 30 (presuming you use a 30bullet clip). This was not the case in OPF/Arma  

Also:, I feel I have to repeat point 4 from my previous post, because this bug has killed me many times over:

When I do an action that makes me leave the "down the sight" view, let me be the one to choose when to go back to that view. Don’t do it automatically once the action I just did is done. (Example action: Running, reloading, changing stance etc etc)

Example situation:

I’m aiming down the sight of my rifle and shoot at enemies. Suddenly my clip is empty and I have to reload. I reload and the game puts me back to the normal FOV while the reload animation runs. While reloading I spot an enemy to my right who is about to shoot me. I get myself ready to shoot back at him once the reloading is complete.  But when it is, the game automatically return me to the "down the sight" FOV so I totally lose track of that enemy and he kills me.

1: Some kind of tool for easy measuring distances on the main map. Like a line you draw from one point to another. Useful for sniping amongst other things

A moveable protractor and measuring scale (?) would be nice, but only if it could be turned off and adds as equipment similar to radio and gps. 'Draw a line' seems too magic for me. Want to snipe? Do it properly and learn the mildot system, or act with a spotter with access to a laser range finder.

PDF: http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/articles/DA%202005.12MH.pdf

I could list everything that ACE does, but I'm not sure it would be in the 'easy to do' list.

A moveable protractor and measuring scale (?) would be nice, but only if it could be turned off and adds as equipment similar to radio and gps. 'Draw a line' seems too magic for me. Want to snipe? Do it properly and learn the mildot system, or act with a spotter with access to a laser range finder.

Well, all I really ask for is a virtual "ruler"; we already have the scale of the map displayed in the bottom corner. I’m sick of using a real ruler on my monitor.

Music - More songs from seventh like the ones from OFP

Respawn - Standard tag/revive option

Squad xml - Embroidered playerName on uniform

Special effects - Great explosion effects make grown men giddy.

- Laser rangefinders and ballistic fire-control computer for attack helicopters, infantry fighting vehicles and tanks

It has already been done for VBS2 so it can't be an impossible task to put this into Arma II.

It would be disappointing if we had to aim manually with modern weapon systems in Arma II.  confused_o.gif

Now grass distance has been increased, maybe shadow drawing distance could be moddable or customisable in options.

- Laser rangefinders and ballistic fire-control computer for attack helicopters, infantry fighting vehicles and tanks

It has already been done for VBS2 so it can't be an impossible task to put this into Arma II.

It would be disappointing if we had to aim manually with modern weapon systems in Arma II.  confused_o.gif

+1

I would definitely wanna looking forward this feature. We will see does there will be computer controlled systems like in VBS2, coz it's kind a wierd to launch manually with MLRS...

wink_o.gif

- We need airplanes to be more sensitive to rough terrain. I’m sick of seeing players in warfare takeoff with an A-10 in the middle of a forest or on a mountain. Planes should be so sensitive to rough terrain that it would only be possible on takeoff on an airstrip or a long thick road. Bigger planes like jets should be more sensitive than the smaller ones.

... in vehicles where you can change position from left to right side while passenger ...

there shall be option to decide what side of vehicle You want leave (in case of incoming fire from side)

or easy way to switch to place next to You as long as it's free

so You simply not exit vehicle into enemy line of fire

And the most IMPORTANT!!!! Shooting out of vehicles!!! How many times have you just wished you could stick your gun out the window of a humvee and start firing?

Well, all I really ask for is a virtual "ruler"; we already have the scale of the map displayed in the bottom corner. I’m sick of using a real ruler on my monitor.

Just as in RL i use the side of the compass.

- Edit: We need a small ammo bar beside each clip in your inventory. This would not give you the exact numbers of bullets left, but it would give you an idea of how many (realistic because in RL you would feel the weight of each clip). This is very useful when salvaging clips from a dead soldier, and you want to throw away the clips with the least bullets first.

I'm told that in ArmA it automatically drops the clip with the least ammo when you are getting rid of mags and gives you the ones with the most when taking them. Haven't tested it though.

Quote[/b] ]- I would love to be able to make arrows and markers on the map while playing coop. Not permanent stuff like we already have, but arrows/markers that just last for half a second or something. So that I can show my plan to my teammates while speaking to them through teamspeak. It would be the virtual equalent to "Coming up with a plan while sitting in the woods around the map" (In other words: realistic). Each player could have their own colour on their markers. A must for the upcoming coop campaign!

You already can. Double click on the map and use arrows to cycle through symbols. The only thing is you can't turn arrows. They can be deleted though by putting your cursor over them and hitting delete.

Just as in RL i use the side of the compass.

Sorry for the old bump of a thread. I would love to see a ruler or something added, I am trying to work on a mod myself to do this but I am still very new to ArmA 2 addons.

The compas works, but it doesnt change scale with the map so it is almost totally ineffective when you need to quickly measure a distance.

* Weapon Loadout Tab under Units Layer in Editor, Multi Select Units for choosing their attributes would be nice, instead of doing them one by one.

Pictures of all weapons, equipment etc, being able to choose everything you'll need for the battle without any scripting commands would be a huge plus.

* Deffinetly a Measuring Tool in Editor, also I would like all of the objects to scale in the editor and all of the houses and stuff to look exactly how they would look ingame, some houses are not what they appear on the map editor, Make Ladders easier to place takes awhile to get them just right.

* More Menu scenes, (I love to watch them :) ), more action instead of just looking at the scenary, like Huge Tank battles or F35's bombing a ship, night fights with tracers everywhere would be neat. Also with the epic war music (RED HARVEST MUSIC)!!

* When aiming in iron sights and running, return to weapon at hip rather than back into iron sights this gets me killed alot. :(

* Glass shattering on buildings and vehicles so you can shoot out of them would be nice, especially for convoy runs.

* Deafness and blurred vision when bleeding out, would be cool, when an AI sees somebody bleeding out how about they actually finnish them/ you off??

* More dialogue for conversing with your team mate, easier commands for follow me, hold fire (which doesn't work), and more accurate moving command I point to a fence like 10 meters in front of me and my guy says 50 meters and my team goes way past the fence.

* LOD settings, for high detailed textures, vegetation etc, being able to tone down the resolution of trees and vegetation ontop of the normal 3D resolution.

* Being able to Copy levels in the editor to have one for SP and to export one to MP.

* Not being able to destory vehicles with small arms fire.

You do know that apart from what hollywood teaches everyone, helicopters rarely carry parachutes because in most cases if you tried to eject out of a chopper you would be dead before you hit the ground.

Not saying it's a bad concept, but you have to remember that if an AI crash lands a chopper then there's a good chance they'll walk away, if they eject from a chopper then there's a good chance they'll at least break their legs from the fall.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

Add : Eh, didn't realise how old this thread is... oh well, my thoughts still stick.

Now... continue suggestions.