Sign in to follow this  
GepardenK

The importance of well made Tutorials

I hear everyone, even the developers, are talking about how Arma is mostly for hardcore gamers and military buffs. Now I think, actually I know for a fact, that that is wrong. Arma is at its core a realistic sandbox game, which by its very nature would make it more appealing to most casual gamers than say Gears or Cod4. It’s not that they wouldn’t like Gears or Cod4, it’s just that casual gamers love to be creative. Not only in level designing, but also in how they go about completing a mission. Arma should be perfect for them.

What scares casual gamers away is not the realism, it’s the controls and presentation. I recently tried the Arma tutorial missions, trying to see them from a new player’s eyes. Those tutorials where just horrible, so let’s just forget about them. (Note to devs: give the player a chance to learn basic stuff like picking up/changing weapons and enter/exit vehicles before you put them in a shooting range! )

A good tutorial is vital in a game like Arma, it should serve as the perfect introduction to the game. Not only teaching you to do different stuff, but also making you psyched to play the main game. Tutorials should put people in the right mindset, so when they start a mission they do not only know how to fire a rifle, but they also know that crawling through the bushes towards the enemy is a much better option than running. The tutorials should be so good in fact; that they could be the sole missions in a demo and still make people buy the game.  

Too much tutorials will also scare the casual gamer away. And anyway you don’t need them, because as BIS said, the campaign also functions as a tutorial. So the idea is that the perfect tutorial is fun, short and helps people get in the right mindset for the game.

Still, what about all that other stuff? like sniping, using the grenade launcher sight, infiltration etc ect. I propose video tutorials. Imagine video tutorials like

(only more professional) covering all important parts of the game. For new players this would be interesting, helpful and put them in the right mindset (and its much more fun to watch than playing a clunky tutorial). Videos like these would literally psyche new players to try out things they normally would think was too complicated. Maybe even a short mission would load after the video, giving the player a chance to try what he just learned.

The best part is that these videos shouldn’t be too hard or time consuming to make, and they could cover everything from infantry tactics to flying jets! (Maybe even a video explaining Warfare and the basics of the editor?)

It is of course important that these videos are integrated into the game. So casual gamers easily can find them (they will give the game up before looking for help in manuals or on arma2.com). Maybe having a welcome screen the first time you open the game, giving you directions to the tutorials and videos.

I truly believe that good tutorials and helpful videos would help casual gamers into this game and possibly put even reviewers into the right mindset (thus help Arma2 getting better scores).

Thoughts?

Very well-written post there, and I agree with your points. An easy to understand tutorial can be vital to attract casual gamers. We don't want to scare them away after all. And yes the freedom of ArmA might be a big attraction to the people who are used to more arcady games!

Like the saying "today's children are tomorrow's adults" I shall now construct a new one in name of the Motherla-.. in name of realism-oriented games:

"Today's casual gamers are tomorrow's hardcore gamers."

There, my journey into the annals of history has started.

Anyway, good point, I'm pretty sure BIS will make sure the campaign and tutorial is better this time though, allthough I'm afraid it still won't be as thorough as the CoD games.

*shrug* I don't mind, but the new players do I guess.

Kim

Would be nice ofcourse with some manual explaining a lot of things in ArmA, but our awesome community sites got probably everything you need to know. Armaholic, Armed assault Info, BIS Forum (here), OFPEC and ArmA Wiki to name a few. Mr.Murray's Mission Editing Guide Deluxe is a comprehensive PDF manual wich will teach you almost everything you need to know.

Register on the sites and your on a good way to gain knowledge about editing in ArmA. Read the sections your interested in being it addon making, mission making or how to apply textures or make models in O2 (Oxygen2 free 3D program from BIS) etc. Everything has been explained probably more than once, and the knowledge is there for you to grab. It's a start for anyone new that want to know more anyway.

smile_o.gif

Some links:

Mr.Murray's Mission Editing Guide Deluxe:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

Sites:

http://www.armaholic.com/ (Got it all. Very good for news)

http://www.armedassault.info/ (Same here as above)

http://www.ofpec.com/ (Deeper into editing & scripting)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armed_Assault (Have a lot of info plus free tools. Also classnames and explanations of scripting commands and much more)

Maybe there should be a leaflet that points to these sites in the box?

Kind regards

Alex

whistle.gif

I don't speak for devs, not the entire community, just my own experience.

New fans to series are those who search for certain experience, like contendee pilot wants a realistic pilot game to train his piloting skills, or army nuts wants to play arma due to army feeling of it.

What I mean is that Casual is not the right word for this. Casual is straight to the point. That's casual. and Arma is nowhere casual, but if they try to make Arma 2 little more casual, that's like little less hardcore.

This game, liek Flight simulator will not attract casual players, but people that search for certain experience. But ofcourse there are casual gamers that look forward to Arma 2, and that's only because of what they've heard and what they think it is, but once playing it, it's still hardcore at heart, arma 2 will turn casual gamers off, whether the tutorials are appealing or not.

Most Casual's will just ignore the tutorials and play the campaign and then throw the game outta door for not knowing chit. help.gif

People see stuff, like arma 1 sniper video and feel it's cool and want just to install the game just to shoot with sniperrifle, but then realize how hard it is to do and how shitty the mechanic actually is and stop caring.

Most of people I know have done this and they are casual and hate arma to death with saying it's boring or the aiming sucks. They just wanted to relive what they saw on youtube. (sniper sniping from range).

Quote[/b] ]

THE EXACT REASON WHY COD4 STYLE WORKS FOR THEM. THEY CAN RELIVE ANYTHING THEY SEE ON YOUTUBE/SOMEBODY ELSE DOING IT AND GET EXACT SAME SCRIPTED RESULTS.

Because it's cool.   And when they hear cool stuff from OFP2, like realism and limbs, they only think or Cod4 with limbs and cool looking sripted events. In similar fashion EVE ONLINE. THe stories you hear are cool and addicting in game world happening, but when you go to actually play it, it's not exactly what ou expected.

When you tell them you can chainsaw an enemy, they expect to come close, press X button and see hyperdetail animation. THey don't expect going throught some complicated procedures to that (Comparing to Arma here)

Word casual is a wrong choice. So is hardcore in my post to some extent.

Holy chit, I wrote a lot of crap here.   help.gif  banghead.gif

Not so much crap at all actually. What you explained ive seen first hand happen couple of times. Had some friends buy ArmA cause they thaught it looked cool. After some playing they thaught it was a bad game... And stopped. They play mainly on consoles and some games like BF2 and similar games.

Not saying everyone is the same, ofcourse not. But there is a valid point to Raphiers post. I consider myself hardcore to the point where i always searching these sites i linked all the time for knowledge. Knowledge in making missions first hand for me. And the wealth of info that are on these sites are ...overwhelming. So many talented people around this community that has shared their work and ideas that there is an abundance of info for anyone interested.

However, to make it bit easier maybe for newcomers that indeed are going to be hardcorers (they just havent found out that yet hehe) there could be bit clearer info about all community sites and easy to find links to ways of getting started. Something like that.

Alex out.

I’m well aware of all the info on the nett, sure everything you need to know is somewhere. Im also aware that BIS has a lot to accomplis with arma2 on a low budget.

But that’s the entire idea of my original post, to come up with cheap ideas to make the game more presentable for new players and reviewers (higher scores can’t hurt). Casual gamers hate manuals (and they hate searching for internet info even more), but they love videos. Those videos are also an opportunity for BIS to present what you actually can do in this game, they can just as well be used for marketing as for training purposes.

And no, I disagree: Casual gamers LOVE MS flight simulator. They fly around zigzagging through buildings, enjoying the sights and cruise over their hometown. Same goes for Arma and OPF...casual gamers love it, even if they don’t play it the same way as the hardcore ones do.

Oh and note that when I say casual gamers, I don’t mean arcade gamers. Because arcade gamers (CS, COD freaks etc) are the most competitive and hardcore of them all.

I’m well aware of all the info on the nett, sure everything you need to know is somewhere. Im also aware that BIS has a lot to accomplis with arma2 on a low budget.

But that’s the entire idea of my original post, to come up with cheap ideas to make the game more presentable for new players and reviewers (higher scores can’t hurt). Casual gamers hate manuals (and they hate searching for internet info even more), but they love videos. Those videos are also an opportunity for BIS to present what you actually can do in this game, they can just as well be used for marketing as for training purposes.

And no, I disagree: Casual gamers LOVE MS flight simulator. They fly around zigzagging through buildings, enjoying the sights and cruise over their hometown. Same goes for Arma and OPF...casual gamers love it, even if they don’t play it the same way as the hardcore ones do.  

Oh and note that when I say casual gamers, I don’t mean arcade gamers. Because arcade gamers (CS, COD freaks etc) are the most competitive and hardcore of them all.

well, some good points, But when speaking of flight sim, I talk about 2003 edition not X. I feel like Flight sim X is more open, or more easier in terms of gameplay.

well, some good points, But when speaking of flight sim, I talk about 2003 edition not X. I feel like Flight sim X is more open, or more easier in terms of gameplay.

I got into the 95 edition no problem back when I was a kid, it was one of the first real games I played I think. But yeah, you’re right FSX has made itself much more presentable to new players. Maybe something Arma2 should think of? The key is changing the tutorials and interface, not dumb down gameplay!! (Still not sure what I think of this revive feature)

You, the community could make "teach the game(play)"-videos.

Text wise a lot of info how to play is already in the BIKI.

And ArmA2 seems to be a bit easier for newcomers to get into. Thinking of the comprehensive GUI for one. Even reticule (on screen "crosshair") turning red and vehicle names above the vehicles themselves. Heck they are even red in case you dont know a T72 is not friendly when your on the blue side. Maybe more parts are more explanatory as well. Soon we will know.

Novice mode though seems to be... very novice. smile_o.gif

Hoping for a veteran GUI here. Ok BIS?! thumbs-up.gif

Alex

I truly think that this is a must not only for casual gamers ... and specially regarding tank warfare and vehicles. People still pick tanks and charge alone inside towns .. wth .. just today I was driving the M1 and the gunner didnt knew what ammo to use according to the target.

People just want to rush into action and this game is not that way.

BTW: For the shake of cooperation this game should come with a built-in Teamspeak with the features to create channels and use the channel commander. It´s a fact that most people dont use the current ingame audio chat.

Yeah thats what I am afraid of, that the game will be dumbed down. When all you really need is a proper presentation and tutorial to get casual gamers into it (also less bugs than arma1 always helps, a lot of people where scared away by those).

I really think some training videoes would help, to show of what the game can do and how you do it once you play it.

Btw, I think the red names over enemies is present in arma1 aswell, at least when giving commands...I blew up a friendly in Warfare once, because he had stolen an enemy T72

EDIT: _Wittman further illustrates the point that we need videoes who not only tell people how to control the game, but how to play it aswell...

If there is a demo, I think it would be best if the floating zone is turned off by default.

yea i support a easier made tutorial or even a more simple editor, or maybe built in videos/tutorials inside the game that we can access while we are still ingame

Don't dumb down the game at all!  Just perhaps include more ingame tutorials and videos, tactics, and how to play the game correctly and cooperate with your team. or if peopel would actually read the game manuals...the arma 1 game came with a decent manual, despite all the grammer and spellling errors, it would be qutie usefull for beginners to actually read, to get to know controls, and the tactics. The ArmA manual had a section specifically about tactics.

Don't dumb down the game at all!  Just perhaps include more ingame tutorials and videos, tactics, and how to play the game correctly and cooperate with your team.

^^^

I totally agree with the suggestion of adding more tutorials. I am sure I have missed tons of features just because I didn't know they were there. Also, lessons on how to properly use guns and tactics would make life much easier (for example with sniper guns).

The idea of GepardenK about simply making videos about it seems perfect to me (do not require too much effort from BIS, and would accomplish their goal quite well). +1 to this idea.

I would even suggest them to make such videos available on the website, as they could serve as promotional material.

I totally agree with the suggestion of adding more tutorials. I am sure I have missed tons of features just because I didn't know they were there. Also, lessons on how to properly use guns and tactics would make life much easier (for example with sniper guns).

The idea of GepardenK about simply making videos about it seems perfect to me (do not require too much effort from BIS, and would accomplish their goal quite well). +1 to this idea.

I would even suggest them to make such videos available on the website, as they could serve as promotional material.

yeah I was going to say you could even release them before the game is even out so that people can kind of just jump right in. Then you could also release them with the game too or just make it so you can view them outside or inside the game.

Quote[/b] ]Casual gamers hate manuals (and they hate searching for internet info even more), but they love videos.

If some casual gamers are bit lazy to search, read and try things out they simply should "get" what they deserve. icon_rolleyes.gif

Imo ingame tutorials/training missions are much better than only watching videos. Player should learn how things work ingame and get used to it. Using the editor even for very simple training missions/templates is easy. Its up to the player to raise his own knowledge and experience. "Practice is the best of all instructors".

For those casual players who are able to read four pages: Dslyecxi's ArmA tactical guide

Using the editor even for very simple training missions/templates is easy. Its up to the player to raise his own knowledge and experience. "Practice is the best of all instructors".

But that`s the entire idea behind the videos. It’s a cheap (as in not expensive) way to show new players how easy the editor really is, and to give them some basic knowledge. Then when they are psyched about the feature, they will look up information and learn on their own. Same thing goes for all the other aspects of Arma2 the videos can cover...

Theese instruction videos is the perfect way to start the process of "converting" casual gamers into sim buffs whistle.gif

Also, it’s a good marketing opportunity for BIS

Hi all

People learn by doing.

Tutorials should be missions.

Remember the do it three times cognative rule.

Remember the after 40 mins Revise Rule.

Your virtual body can only go where your real mind has been first. So that video idea GepardenK is a good one.

Kind Regards Walker

Yeah tutorials should be missions^^^^^

But Arma is so feature full it would be impossible and/or overwhelming to have a tutorial for every tiny aspect of the game (infiltration/jets/use of satchel charge/laser pointing/correct sniping etc etc). This is where videos come in.

This topic is also about how those mission tutorials from Arma1 is way too bad. We need much better ones if we don’t want to scare away new players. A learn by doing campaign is good and all but new players tend to play tutorials first, so it’s important to give a nice first impression then.

What im asking is, has anyone here one theese forums found the Arma1 tutorials to be even slightly useful?

Hi, no i didn't; but because i played the OFP and the thing hasn't

changed that much. What i'll like as tuturial, will be some missions

for the Editor, things to check the anims, then copy and paste 'em

for use 'em in your own missions, scripts that use in your own made

missions booth SP & MP and also a good commands refference, as

.pdf with the game, that will help us very much; as add some entries

explaining some basic tactics, as use cover, sniping, how to take

advantage on the area's topography and the available resources,

squad's weapons, vehicles at disposal, units etc. Aside of a mini

campaign that represents a military instruction, with lessons about

the weaponry, the chain of command, infiltration, enemy recognition,

procedures regarding the prisoners, the civilians, IEDs etc. That'll

be pimp; but what i'll like the most, will be a commands refference.

Let's C ya

I think people who have seen the default shooting land and want to find something else that might get attached by the game smile_o.gif

Of course if Bis makes a demo that will blow away gamers too smile_o.gif