Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

Stars

In Arma all stars have the same color, size and brightness. I think that should be changed, at least for the most common stars. Orion should be clearly visible for instance.

Those who would actually bother to notice it would be impressed, but I personally would rather have them working on more gameplay-influencing things. If you had unlimited resources it would be great of course. smile_o.gif

Kim

Those who would actually bother to notice it would be impressed, but I personally would rather have them working on more gameplay-influencing things. If you had unlimited resources it would be great of course.  smile_o.gif

Kim

It actually is one of the gameplay-influencing features, remember the Escape mission on Kolgujev in Cold War Crisis?

Nope, but I get the feeling you had to navigate by stars back then...

Well, assuming you have to navigate by the stars it does influence gameplay then. I was wrong then, my apologies.

Kim

Corrent me if I´m wrong but does the moon currently affect night illuminaiton? if not...it could be cool if they set a good illumination for a full moon night so its possible to play without night vision.

Corrent me if I´m wrong but does the moon currently affect night illuminaiton? if not...it could be cool if they set a good illumination for a full moon night so its possible to play without night vision.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Missions with moonlight would be immensive (remember first mission in H&D2)

moonlight affects overall illumination during night(arma1)

stars can still be used for getting your bearings in arma just as you could with OFP

On our beloved planet earth we could only see stars with the same colour with different brightness with bear eyes, you got to have a very good eyes to notice the different in colour confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]On our beloved planet earth we could only see stars with the same colour with different brightness with bear eyes, you got to have a very good eyes to notice the different in colour

Where I live, I only live in a town of about 100 people, when you look into the night sky, you can see several brighter/ different colored stars.  Although some of the "Colored" stars may actually not be stars, but planets. Still be cool if you can make your way through the night using the stars.

iridium flares

Seriously, if they're going to add details on such a level... the game will be released right after the Borg is defeated.

isnt the starscape just a texture file? if so, making the orion brighter/bigger shouldnt be too much trouble then...

On my screen they arent exactlly the same size etc. But then again, since the stars were one of the sales pitch for ArmA (same with tides and moon cycles etc) they might get the pole star (or what its called?) brighter/bigger.

Alex

I fired up ArmA just to have a look at the stars, and this is what I found:

When I zoom out, the stars appear almost perfect and I can easily make out the constellations. When I zoom in however, all stars seem to have the same brightness and size, and it's almost impossible to tell them apart.

...and they do actually flicker !  biggrin_o.gif

speaking of moon cycles smile_o.gif they in ArmA were incorrect against real dates smile_o.gif lol

I hope Arma2 will feature the northern hemisphere. In Arma 1 we have the southern one.

Does anybody know how you can find north by looking at the stars of the southern hemisphere?

I'm reasonably sure ArmA can display the stars for any location on earth, it just depends on the island/terrain in use. Sahrani is in the northern hemisphere. I assume the stars are displayed correctly for that location, because it looks unfamiliar to me as a southerner.

OT: In the southern hemisphere, south can be found using the southern cross and the pointers. South is the point on the horizon directly below the intersection of two lines:

- one through the top and bottom points of the cross

- the other is the perpendicular bisector of a line between the two pointers.

It probably sounds a lot harder than it is, especially in real life because they are some of the brightest and most recognizable stars in the sky. Google is your friend

Yes, Sahrani is in the northern hemisphere. Most people probably know this, but for those who don't ; this is how you could find north in the northern hemisphere :

123xnv8.jpg

It must be strange living somewhere you can't see the Big Dipper (the plough) on a clear night.

[EDIT]

Draw a line between the two rightmost stars in the Big Dipper and follow that line until you find the north star, which is north (the north star is a tad bit brighter than the surrounding stars, but far from the brightest star in the sky).

Really, I didn't even notice. Maybe it's the view angle or something.

That north-star method will only work if the polar star is pretty low.

A method that will always work is to draw a line from the up position to the polar star. That line points north.

That north-star method will only work if the polar star is pretty low.

Actually, I think that method always works, unless you're too far south of course.

A method that will always work is to draw a line from the up position to the polar star. That line points north.

Sorry, but I didn't quite get that. Why do you need a line to point north when the north star IS north.

That method won't work accurately if you are too far north. But it depends on if you face the star or not, that image isn't centered so it's hard to tell. (I guess it's the one looking for a landmark on the horizon)

North is a direction and you need to draw a line to show it. The line between up 90deg and the polar star shows the north direction.

When it's close to the horizon you can just draw a line right down like in the picture, no matter what dir you're facing because it's approx = the "real" line. So practically in that case there is no difference.

That method won't work accurately if you are too far north. But it depends on if you face the star or not, that image isn't centered so it's hard to tell. (I guess it's the one looking for a landmark on the horizon)

North is a direction and you need to draw a line to show it. The line between up 90deg and the polar star shows the north direction.

When it's close to the horizon you can just draw a line right down like in the picture, no matter what dir you're facing because it's approx = the "real" line. So practically in that case there is no difference.

There is nothing inaccurate by that method, as it's just a guide to find the North Star, nothing more. Once you find it, "drawing" an invisible line down is kinda obvious.   wink_o.gif

maybe add a "turn on constellation" tab... just to help those in need...