Sign in to follow this  
GodHammer

MBDA Spada Air Defence System

Something I was really missing in my Missions Editor was a good air defence system, expecially near vital assets, airports and parked ground or air vehicles' zones.

That's why I decided to build up the Skyguard+Spada system, hopefully it will work fine in few weeks.

I'm going to release it as a standalone addon, maybe add a couple of camouflage skins for desert and all terrain operations, later. I'm not going to keep in in my workbench forever.

Textures and model were built thinking about incoming ARMA2,

you will pardon me if the file may be a little bigger than my usual models, in the end.

I'm searching for some good references for the joint that makes the launcher aim to the sky, was not able to find anything clear at the moment.

I seriously need help with scripts-effects:

°guidance

° new sounds for the Aspide missile and launcher

° a script for proximity warheads explosions

° smoke trail

° animations

I would apreciate any serious help from the community smile_o.gif

Here it comes a work in progress picture.

So far the model stays under 1000 polys in the main LOD, with a single 1024x1024 texture, that I will upgrade with a second identical one for the camouflage + missile use.

Spada_01.jpg

Lol, no my friend, I'm making it as close to reality as possible, so it will have its own concrete base but will not retract underground smile_o.gif I'll make the stand a little simpler than reality for a matter of polycount limit, but nothing too futuristic smile_o.gif

That's why I decided to build up the Skyguard+Spada system

This is very welcome, we have real need for air defence units to shoot those various air vehicles from the skies.

Quote[/b] ]I'm going to release it as a standalone addon

Very good.

Quote[/b] ]maybe add a couple of camouflage skins for desert and all terrain operations, later.

Woodland suitable camo and desert scheme would be great.

Is it time consuming to create desert texture out of woodland, or is it just few minutes in photoshop playing around with RGB values?

Quote[/b] ]I'm not going to keep in in my workbench forever.

I like this attitude smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I seriously need help with scripts-effects:

°guidance

° new sounds for the Aspide missile and launcher

° a script for proximity warheads explosions

° smoke trail

I would say don't worry too much about these fancy things right now, get it modeled, get it ingame and most people will be pleased.

Oh and scared to fly smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]° animations

I would apreciate any serious help from the community

I can animate it for you. Send me a PM here when you have model ready.

Quote[/b] ]So far the model stays under 1000 polys in the main LOD, with a single 1024x1024 texture

Thats very good. However I'm not sure if you sound like "it must stay under..." as there is no problem having more polys in first LOD if the lower res LODs are properly modeled which end the last at <100 polys.

The probelm with camo is that if you want a goodlooking model you should cut and sew the UV map untill you have a enveloping effect. That because you do not want a messy look effect when covering the mere material texture with a camouflage paint. I am talking expecially of a 3 tone camo, when spots should cover the whole model with a certain order, not to look uncontinuous, if you understand what I mean. A simple plain kaki colour is a matter of 5 minutes in Photoshop, once the model is mapped smile_o.gif

But I wanted to go with a 3 tones desert color as well smile_o.gif

Let me finish the baby and I'll see what it will look.

About scripts-effects..

I'd like this to be an useful and realistic thingy, I need to set a proper reaction time, and consider how to handle 6 missiles, meaning I do not want all of them fired on the same plane when a squad of bombers are dropping irons on my base.

I need to find a way to make it work like the real thingy, or at least try to smile_o.gif Considering latest reasearches and tests on the Aspide gave a 97 percent of effective strike capability, I see no reason to fire a dumb 6 missiles salvo on a single target.

It may be useful forcing a recharge time for missiles or limit a 2 missiles salvo per target.

Many ideas, hopefully it will all work fine in the end wink_o.gif

this screen looks amazing....I always think your shots were rendered in 3dsMax but I guess you just made a perfect model and textures... tounge2.gif

Lol thanks, they are just O2 screeshots, they get a bit of sharpen in Photoshop, Bulldozer is not so good for previews hehehe smile_o.gif Those shadows-highlights you see on edges are painted in Photoshop to make the model look more tridimensional wink_o.gif

nice model ,

we have a script for effects we are using for the sa2

but the proxmiation script we have dont work for arma (or maybe id does just wrong init line)

but you'll need to ask miles teg for that since he's the mod's leader

For an script that let's the missile launcher work well against enemy aircraft try contacting RKSL guys. They are developing the FCSS (Fire Control Script System) for precisely this issue.

A small update on the model with a work in progress desert camouflage.

Spada-desert-camo.jpg

Something like that??

Its a Tracking Script Concept i put together just for you guys today, its a spin-off from my M93 Hornet Wide Area Mine.

biggrin_o.gif

Basically you can add any target to track, doesnt need to be static like it is now... or like the original it tracks a certain sector with up to 4 targets at a time (up to 100 overall with the RL 3D Radarsystem) its modular and autonomous. Its easy to connect clusters of those launchers with a networkcentric controlunit, maybe with SPON Radar ... wink_o.gif

On this you select targets for each launcher or smth...

could be as said autonomous or as a man-in-the-loop system, selecting targets and pressing "Launch" ... ahh . i LOVE dialogs.. hehe

And missile dynamics could/should(?) be done via MMA Scriptsuite, because its sooo adjustable to recreate this kind of advanced missiles (check RL website for SPADA videos)

BTW:

A "proper" AirDefence could/will mean arty or SF attacks by foot are more important ingame than they are now.

Thank you very much Philipp for the video smile_o.gif

Very nice, good job! I like the idea, let me finish the model and write down a couple ideas I have in mind, and then I'll ask your help for shure! A realistic ( or at least something close to it ) SAM system is really needed in game, it really would change the gameplay and add a lot of new features usable by mission makers!

Thank you again, let's keep in contact smile_o.gif

I went a bit more further in modeling, here showing the modular base and the tracking-marking device of the launcher.

I have to apologize if the module is not complitely realistic, but I did not find any good blueprint of it, so I borrowed some pictures from the NASAMS and gave my SPADA a similar holder.

Thanks to PhlilippRauch we will have fancy things ingame soon, we started a collaboration that will bring common models to life, working and deadly wink_o.gif

Thanks again to Philipp and to everybody in the Forums for support, enjoy a new screenie from O2.

Cheers all, GH.

SpadaWip_01.jpg

Really Nice Work!!!!!!

Now the skies are going to be much more dangerous!!!!!

Hi, i and GodHammer are so full of juices and ideas, we are going to wrap that into our "Unified Air Defence" Project since this thing is modular anyway (different nations using same missile with different radars or the other way around).

So if someone is going to do (or already has :D ) ... we need some Trucks ( like the Lkw 5t mil gl 4x4, 7t mil gl 6x6 & 10t mil gl 8x8 by MAN), please let us know we need some european transports for them later on...

Edited by PhilippRauch