Sign in to follow this  
Deadfast

[TRANSLATION] Interview about ArmA 2

Im with Bravo6 here. I know it does have VB, but its not perfect. It can be better. And saying it will not change in ARMA2 will produce another Durg's.

If i sit on the edge (not furthest out) in one of these green big bushes the AI will engage me. Putting a human player in the same place as the AI he will not see me. Trust me on this - tested last night.

Durg's was made for a reason even though it was a bit too extreme. But it gave us the ability to sneak better and it was a damn good feeling. I just hope ArmA2 will extend the VB to the point that "if a human cant see you - so shouldnt the AI". Thats all. And the tests i did with AI standing 50 meters away, and outdoors where i move between 2 bushes that meet eachother (more than just touch eachother) and i move in crouch (sneak?). To me the AI should not detect me. If he in fact hears me then BIS needs to cut the rabbit ears off a bit from the top.

smile_o.gif

My hopes for ArmA2 and the taller grass sections was that we can crawl on a plain keeping the higher grass parts between us and the AI and we will be able to sneak closer to them. Leave it as it is and i guess were boned trying that.

Just make sure BIS that if a human cant see you - so should not the AI and at least im happy.

Regards

Alex

Make a thread about it I'd say!

More translated previews pl0x! xmas_o.gif

La Kim tounge2.gif

72 @ Mar. 20 2009,14:26)]Im with Bravo6 here. I know it does have VB, but its not perfect. It can be better. And saying it will not change in ARMA2 will produce another Durg's.

If i sit on the edge (not furthest out) in one of these green big bushes the AI will engage me. Putting a human player in the same place as the AI he will not see me. Trust me on this - tested last night.

Durg's was made for a reason even though it was a bit too extreme. But it gave us the ability to sneak better and it was a damn good feeling. I just hope ArmA2 will extend the VB to the point that "if a human cant see you - so shouldnt the AI". Thats all. And the tests i did with AI standing 50 meters away, and outdoors where i move between 2 bushes that meet eachother (more than just touch eachother) and i move in crouch (sneak?). To me the AI should not detect me. If he in fact hears me then BIS needs to cut the rabbit ears off a bit from the top.

smile_o.gif

My hopes for ArmA2 and the taller grass sections was that we can crawl on a plain keeping the higher grass parts between us and the AI and we will be able to sneak closer to them. Leave it as it is and i guess were boned trying that.

Just make sure BIS that if a human cant see you - so should not the AI and at least im happy.

Regards

Alex

Agree but a moving bush is clearly visible ( distance dependant ) but no matter if you crush the entire bush with a tank of just pass through it as infantry... It will neither move or make a sound. So true why a human player is uncapable of perceibing that whyle a bot is capable?

72 @ Mar. 20 2009,14:26)]Im with Bravo6 here. I know it does have VB, but its not perfect. It can be better. And saying it will not change in ARMA2 will produce another Durg's.

smile_o.gif

Regards

Alex

Agree but a moving bush is clearly visible ( distance dependant ) but no matter if you crush the entire bush with a tank of just pass through it as infantry... It will neither move or make a sound. So true why a human player is uncapable of perceibing that whyle a bot is capable?

I always thought it was the rule that the AI was supposed to have some sort of unfair advantage over what is percievable in the games "world".

I always thought it was the rule that the AI was supposed to have some sort of unfair advantage over what is percievable in the games "world".

I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning. rofl.gif

Yeah you're right tho AI will perceive everything and is only limited by what the developer codes them not to know.

Quote[/b] ]After adding a single object into the mission it can become richer of, for example, villagers in the villages. Similarly you may add modules for first aid, carrying of wounded, command interface for commanding whole groups and many other features.

What? You won't be able to have the AI and/or yourself use those new, important functions without manually scripting it into the mission beforehand?! That's... horrible. I hope this is as "easy" and obvious as they claim...

Quote[/b] ]After adding a single object into the mission it can become richer of, for example, villagers in the villages. Similarly you may add modules for first aid, carrying of wounded, command interface for commanding whole groups and many other features.

What? You won't be able to have the AI and/or yourself use those new, important functions without manually scripting it into the mission beforehand?! That's... horrible. I hope this is as "easy" and obvious as they claim...

Probably as easy as dumping a logic to enable those functions? huh.gif

Logics... exactly how does those work, again? You put down an invisible object, and synchronise it with a trigger or waypoint, or something?

Logics... exactly how does those work, again? You put down an invisible object, and synchronise it with a trigger or waypoint, or something?

I cant possibly know how its handled in ArmA2, but in ArmA alot of addons just make a logic wich you drop in the mission editor, and then it automatically runs the script which it is supposed to run.

It may be a bit more complicated in ArmA2 (As you may need to define which units will be commanded trough the command interface/which units will be revivable/etc). But i cant imagine this being much harder than putting some unit/groupnames into an array. Which is as easy as writing

revivableunits = [Dude1,Dude2,Dude3,units group Dude4]

But seeing as i havent played ArmA2 yet im just guessing. :D

Short Answer: You can use Game Logics to enable "plug-n-Play" features.

Example: ACE Mod has a "Wind Effects" Game Logic that simulates wind effects on aircraft (so that South blowing wind pushes your helo South as you fly). It also has the "Map Object Required" Game Logic that enables scripts that don't let you see your map unless you have the ACE map object, but you can read other people's maps nearby.

All you have to do to use these are to place the Game Logic object anywhere on the map. They do not show up anywhere on the map, but simply enable the feature.