Sign in to follow this  
dmakatra

Crossing Europe

The distance between Sassnitz, Germany and Málaga, Spain is around 3000 kilometres. That's about 1000 times the distance from Corazol to Paraiso for all us ArmA-nerds. smile_o.gif

Starting on June 8th this year, I am attempting to make this distance in about eight weeks - on foot. There will be no aid from technical devices. There'll be no cell phones, no iPods, no GPS. I'll bring no money, except the euros intended for the flight back home to Sweden. Instead I'll rely on my old trusty tent, my guitar, a good old fashioned map and the hospitality of the good people in Germany, France and Spain.

There won't be any stops at big cities or landmarks. There'll just be a sharp line drawn on the map and aching feet.

Hopefully, I won't be doing this trip on my own. Right now I have people all over Sweden interested in joining me on my little trip. People I've been friends with for years and people that I have never met in my life. Some people will join me briefly, taking a flight down to Spain and meeting with me for the final week. Some people will travel me from the moment we set foot on the ferry that'll take us to Sassnitz so we can start the journey. People of different backgrounds, histories and with their own personal motivation for coming along.

Hopefully, this group of people will also be notable for differing nationalities. That is where this thread comes in. Whether you'd be interested in greeting us along the way - walking with us for a moment or two, or willing to offer us shelter for a night, I'd be glad to see your participation in the project.

And if you're interested in joining us the moment we take our first steps out of the ferry in Sassnitz to the moment we take our last, tired steps across the city of Málaga - I can't say anything less than welcome aboard!

Hopefully you have few pairs of good shoes xmas_o.gif

That is indeed a long walk. I dont' understand what drives people to do these kind events... I've hiked and marched some degree and by that background i just can't understand how that trip is doable, average day's distance has to be in between 50-100 kilometers, for freaking 8 weeks... On foot! I got used to idea that 30 kilometer for longer period of time is maximum what one can take.

Not questioning your ability to achieve it (maybe your iron man... i couldn't say), but it just sounds way too absurd by numbers.

best of luck dude, i heard there are youth hostels that can give u a free room if you ever need to clean up from your journey. Keep enough water for sure, maybe even if possible make a blog or a written journal for us?

your a true rebel, Che Guevara is said to have traveled through all of South America on his motor-cycle.

Second: I realise that the goal is quite hard to achieve. But I'm the sort of person that rather aim high with modest result than aim low with adequate results if you understand what I mean. smile_o.gif

I'm doing a test-run (a week or so) with the current team and the planned amount of equipment in the beginning of April to calculate velocity, level of fatigue, that sort of thing.

The others: Thanks for the support. smile_o.gif

maybe you can think on finish on Granada instead of Malaga, it's absolutelly amazing city and is very near to Malaga.

Look for pictures on google wink_o.gif

Also i suggest you to try to cross the pirenees entering on Aragon, it have the most beautiful mountains and valleys of Spain from my point of view.

And the last suggestion, try to avoid the spanish mediterranean coast, it only have buildings and more buildings, instead of that i suggest you to go across Castilla la Mancha and then Andalucia, wont be dissapointed wink_o.gif

Good luck with your travel!

You read my mind Txalo, already had that way plotted out. Although I do think I'll finish in Málaga instead of Granada, since I'd imagine meeting the Mediterranean as some kind of finish line would be rewarding. Doesn't stop me from visiting Granada on the way though. smile_o.gif

Sounds fun, but unlike in the Scandinavian countries, you might need permissions from the land owners if you are to cross woods and similar.

+I wouldn't be all that optimistic about hospitality in well-developed (rich) regions of any country.

I think you will need at least 11 weeks for your endeavour too, if you use a bicycle.

...and so the claws of Spokesperson strike here, too.

dmakatra, it sounds like a great idea. A friend did the Santiago pilgrimage (for the hiking, not because he's religious), which I would presume was in a similiar area to part of your hike, and said the locals were great and very hospitable. But I think anymore than 30km a day max would really kill you, and remember to take emergency rations, just in case you don't make a village or you get lost etc! Prior Preperation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Good luck, i lived in a sort of similiar way in New Zealand for a while (I am still there, but now i have a bit more money to spend so i dont sleep in my tent all the time and i can eat nice food). It is definitely possible but you may want to take a bit of emergency money/some way of collecting food (Like a small fishing rod) cause you will be hungry. tounge2.gif

(At least here in NZ it would probably be impossible to completely 'live of the land' without any tools for doing so, and you wont always be invited for dinner at someones house. biggrin_o.gif )

Best of luck and have a good time, i did the Santiago route via Oporto and had great fun, a fit group of persons can hike 30 to 40 Kms\day easily, depending on terrain obviously. But that was a puny +\- 500 kms, you sir, have my respect.

Essentials:

- Good footwear, if its hot hiking sandles with cotton socks are a very good option, remeber to use cream on your feet a few days prior to the start day, less chance of blisters.

- Emergency water and rations.

- Good karma with fellow travelers.

- Travel very early in the morning, stop during the heat hours when in the south. The siesta is your friend smile_o.gif

- Towel tounge2.gif

Dunno about sleeping locations, I used the pilgrimage's houses to rest, but that's not your case, theres official camping sites, because wild camping will eventualy get you some hassle with some landowner somewhere.

Anyhoo, safe travels smile_o.gif

Don't Panic, of course I'm bringing the towel! tounge2.gif

Thanks for the advices from everyone. smile_o.gif

the survivor man from the TV shows wrote a really good book which would be extremely useful, it tells you basically everything you need to know about hiking/camping

- Good footwear, if its hot hiking sandles with cotton socks are a very good option, remeber to use cream on your feet a few days prior to the start day, less chance of blisters.

I did 25 kilometers fast walk with 30 kg backpack across rather hard terrain... While wearing heavy rubber boots (cost less than 20 Euros, filthy cheap). I've never had real issues with footwear, but after that i couldn't walk well for two days, below knees my both legs were totally locked. biggrin_o.gif

Dmakatra: Sorry if i sounded like ass, that wasn't my meaning. sad_o.gif

Are you planning to jog? Some light carts where you can keep your equipment and move lightly? Should be good for 8-10 kilometer/hour speeds. Not that i've tried them but one pro marathon runner used them while crossing some desert area.

Your undertaking sounds very cool to me. If I wouldn't be in this rather uncertain stage of life I might even join you on your trip (and with more physical fitness maybe wink_o.gif ).

I wish you the best for your trip and a good time. I was in Andalucía a few weeks ago and can tell you it's a great place to be, I hope you make it smile_o.gif

Well, sounds like a cool trip you're planning. I think it's quite doable - although I doubt your schedule.

8 weeks is kinda short for a distance like that - it's probably a lot further than 3000km as you won't be able to take a straight route or follow the motorways. You'll have to divert from your route to get to camping grounds, replenish your food & water, you'll take a wrong turn more than once, etc. In France (not sure about Spain) wild camping is forbidden and the police usually aren't too nice about it when they catch you (nor are the landowners), so you'll have to find a camping ground/hostel or some nice locals for a nights rest.

Get good maps and guidebooks (usually best bought locally, always carry only the ones you'll need for the next few days/weeks) and - if within your budget - carry a small gps device for orientation (something like the the better models from the Garmin eTrek series), otherwise take at least a compass. Trecking routes aren't always marked as clearly as they are in Germany...

Also don't underestimate the heat in Spain or southern France. I lived for a year in Córdoba, and believe me when I tell you that in summer and out in the open you won't do much between noon and four in the afternoon. The further away from the coast the worse... Remember always to carry enough water! And no, trecking by night isn't really an option, especially when following roads or having to traverse private lands.

Finally I would definitely plan with a few days reserved for rest along the way. You'll need time to fix or replace gear (shoes, stuff lost or broken) and rest your feet. You might get sick, etc. - trecking with diareah in hot weather will cost you more time in the end than simply stopping and recovering for 1-2 days until you're fit again.

Well, I wish you good luck with your tour. Keep us informed and enjoy the trip!

As a proud ArmA nerd you should "storm" the BI's HQ instead biggrin_o.gif

As a proud ArmA nerd you should "storm" the BI's HQ instead biggrin_o.gif

BIS not a zoo! biggrin_o.gif