Sign in to follow this  
chris64

Death Animations

What I have been wondering is why BI decided to change the (IMO) much better death animations from Operation Flashpoint into the new ones which I think looks a bit stupid. Is there a reason for this and is BI going to add new ones, in the HD trailer when I saw that familiar "spin around onto the floor" I banghead.gif . Is it easy for the community to change them or is it a complex process? Am I the only one who notices this? Oh god I realized how weird this thread makes me sound

ArmA animations are like in slowmotion or something  crazy_o.gif In OFP they fall much more realistically and look cooler. I hope they use the OFP ones instead. Kills feel much more rewarding when the soldiers won't just start dancing and after that fall in the ground like there's no gravity. If you hit in the head in OFP it's just *flup* and instantly on the ground.

I agree, I liked the OFP versions best. New animations would be welcome, especially the killed while running animation. We'll see.

Yea i hope if soldier is switching weapons while killed wont have to switch to the previous weapon and than die, its kind of stupid looking.

Same for when reloading, player shold fall dead that instance and not put the clip in and than die.

the animation in the trailer could be WIP. i think they tried to make the animations in arma more varied and different but obviously the more unique you make the animation the more it stands out if it's not right, e.g. if the guy spins one way when you shoot the other side of his body.

Real life people fall fast. Especially when hit in vital parts that shut off the body like the brain and heart etc. Shot to the head and you go down in milliseconds. Just drops like theres no tomorrow... and there isnt. biggrin_o.gif

Hopefully BIS will change the slow fall animations. I have also noticed that currently, when hit by a bullet, if they are at ease, they will raise their weapon before falling to the ground.

please forget about ragdolls and forget about bombastic movie style deaths ...

if you saw people being shot You many times notice it's always different, sometimes slow and person does some more moves before fall, sometimes faster, also it depends if the bullet goes thru or stay in etc etc etc ...

Hi all

No holywood death scenes! mad_o.gif

Ragdoll is a waste of developer time and CPU cycles.

People who get shot never, ever, ever, get thrown across a room or even a couple of inches for that matter, not even when 50 calibre bullet hits them.

Simply targets fall when hit, but they do not just fall in ragdoll fashion unless the shot was an amygdala shot while the body is not in motion. They jerk around and limbs continue to try to do things even after brain death.

Sometimes people do not even know they have been hit, yes even when it is a killing shot to the heart. They will continue to move performing the actions they were doing untill the blood no longer reaches the brain.

People often get shot and do not realise until they feel the wet patch or someone tells them or they see the blood.

Regards walker

Ragdolls can be configured to fall like sacks of potatoes for realism. Its just a matter of configuration.

The biggest problems come with bodys ontop of things like watchtowers, stairways ect. Another thing is people beeing affectet by explosions.

It would be nice with a kind of ragdoll to kik in in these situations.

I agree with OP, the death animations in ArmA1 were terrible, I hope they will be changed in ArmA2. Nobody is asking for hollywood style death, if ArmA engine cant handle ragdoll then so be it but please fix those animations, make more and tweak them, they shuld to vary, not the only one spin animation, it looks like synchronous swimming when you shot few soldiers standing next to each other . And please fix this bug with soldier ending his current animation ( reloading, throwing greande etc) before death animation kicks in.

Well, ragdoll isnt used, because it is client sided. And in arma where you can hide behind a death body. It would be a problem if the oponent see the object behind it you cover 3 meters away.

But variations of death would be nice.

Let them be situation related. If player is running, he should fall forward etc. I think that even possible would be checking if the unit has been shot in the back, or upfront.

BTW Can a weapon had person held in hands separated from player body?

Overall better and proper animations depending to situation and terrain/objects. Looks weird if dead bodies lying like "staves" on stones, stairways and other objects. Think that with 3-5 quick "pain/dead" animations/stance its done. No need for hollywoodish effects and slowmotion-like anims.

I agree with OP, the death animations in ArmA1 were terrible, I hope they will be changed in ArmA2. Nobody is asking for hollywood style death, if ArmA engine cant handle ragdoll then so be it but please fix those animations, make more and tweak them, they shuld to vary, not the only one spin animation, it looks like synchronous swimming when you shot few soldiers standing next to each other . And please fix this bug with soldier ending his current animation ( reloading, throwing greande etc) before death animation kicks in.

I thought that they did fix it. In the later patches of Armed Assault. I agree, that was a very annoying thing -- watching the character reload, and assuming that he hasn't been hit even though the has.

Can a weapon had person held in hands separated from player body?

I've never seen that in Armed Assault. (And not in Ghost Recon, either.) I don't know why that is. Maybe because there is no real definition of gravity or weapon mass, and no concept of coefficient of restitution. So if the weapon were to separate and fall on its own, it would look mega-hokey. But that's just my speculation.

I can't wait to see what happens when a cow, dog, rabbit.. gets hit by a tank going 40

wow_o.gif Say no to animal brutality !

To be honest I dont care that much about the deaths. If he's dead his dead ... I think they should concentrate on the "alive" animations

Deadly shot to the head - drop fast. You shoot someone in the head with pistol or sniper rifle and they go slowly down. Looks a bit weird even though its not the whole world. A deadly shot in the brain stops your info to your muscles resulting in legs just bending at gravity speed.

Would be nice anyway with some more death animations. IMO ofcourse.

Alex

I don't care how much realistically will the grunt fall, I just want bigger variety crazy_o.gif

Why not do it like Liberation mod ? In there, the soldier never fell on the ground the same way. And those guys made everything with a program. No motion capture criap or whatsoever... huh.gif

The only problem ,apart from variety, I see is that the Arma death animations sometimes kicked in way too delayed, so that I had already put some extra ammo into that unit before I realized that he just has to finish some other things before he wants to go to pixel-heaven.

Left 4 Dead and(I hate to mention it) Call of Duty 4 had both good death animations and nice ragdoll. But I haven't really put this game engine's physics to the test, so I don't know if ragdoll would be any good in it. I would, however, like something like Halo 1's flexible dead bodies. It's not so stiff looking, and it bends around terrain, but it's not as demanding as ragdoll.