Sign in to follow this  
Focha

Enter/Exit Vehicles animations.

Why then even bother making new games when you can just play the old ones......

I completely agree with what HellToupee said.

With all the planed features for ArmA2, i believe ArmA2 can be a game/simulation for a life time. So why not improve what is already done and planed for years?

If such things were not implemented, i strongly feel it would really worth to bet on ArmA2 improvement in every directions so it can be a life time simulation.

A game does not have to do alot of things to be a good experience buts thats no excuse to not strive to improve basic features to improve the experience.

That's true. If they're already planning to have such animations, that's great. And if they will leave it the same as in Armed Assault, I don't have a problem with that, either. Actually, exiting animations could prove to be even more problematic in the game than "popping" out, because that means that the player is uncontrolled and vulnerable for a few seconds.

Like I said above, if they have to choose between making new animations and improving the gameplay (like not getting your character stuck in buildings), then I'd rather see improved gameplay.

Your supposed to be venerable getting in and out of vehicles, things like tanks are not quick to get in and out of, while getting in and out of cars would be quick, these factors should be part of the gameplay.

Your supposed to be venerable getting in and out of vehicles, things like tanks are not quick to get in and out of, while getting in and out of cars would be quick, these factors should be part of the gameplay.

That is right. I continue to agree.

Those things should be taking in consideration. No doubt about it.

If these factors are not taken in consideration it will look less realistic, like many other games, instead of a simulation in search for more realism.

also with the hit and run sort of tactics i expect to see in this game it would make sense if people couldn't just instantly jump in their tank (if, for example, their base is being attacked by commandos).

also if apc's had to open their doors you could ambush them while they are letting someone in.

You are thinking way too pessimistic. If this was the mindset of BIS, we'd still have Direct3D 7 rasterizers and basic Operation Flashpoint features.

Maybe I am. I like to think of it in terms of man-hours. If the game developers concentrate on the visuals (a time-consuming chore), that means less time for adding or improving actual game elements.

Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault are in a completely different genre and aimed at a different audience than games like Crysis, Call Of Duty 4, and other such juvenile games. For Armed Assault II to compete with those on their terms (i.e. pretty graphics) means assured failure, anyway. OFP paved its own path through the games market, and people apparently liked what it offered.

Of course, but a group of dedicated motion studio animators who aren't in any form connected to anything else but animating could surely add a few things.

If the base is there it only need to be imported to one of the internal builds, something which is done anyway due to debugging or adding new features.

It requires coordinated streamlined working for minimal effort/time waisting though.

A lot of people assume that if feature X is added that there is no time to add feature Y and Z. But this isn't the case because the people who work on feature Y and Z are specialized in Y and Z and the people who work on feature X is specialized in that.

Of course are indie studio developers are tad broader in specialization but it can be done as long as the integrators keep on working properly.

SgtH3nry3, that didn't occur to me. You're right, they probably have dedicated people on every part of the project.

As to the being vulnerable when entering or exiting, the difference with real life and a scripted animation is that in real life, one can change their mind. In a game, if the player starts to leave the tank and realizes that this is more dangerous than sitting inside, he cannot interrupt that action. This would be even more frustration to me: losing because I can't control my character for a whole five seconds. In reality, if a tanker wants to leave the vehicle, but it's not safe, he can stick his head out of the hatch and shoot at the enemy first.

Also, if car doors open, won't people complain when the car is parked too close to a building and the door "disappears" through the wall? And what if a character leaves a car in an emergency, will he have to turn around and shut the car door? My point is that adding eyecandy mostly compounds the future headaches for the developers.

Only my opinion, but I would prefer a smaler number of vehicles with full interior, better instruments and better get in/out animations and opening doors and hatches.

It's so easy to implement that i can't believe they won't make it...the only serious drawback is that the interior must be see-able (rendered) from outside of the vehicle, which isn't the case in some armored vehicles for example.

Quote[/b] ]which isn't the case in some armored vehicles for example

Wich is a shame imo. I liked that in OFP. When driving some tanks I sometimes only used the interior view to drive as it gave me a better feeling of the surrounding and hindered me from driving over friendly troops that were close to the tank.

I´m not a big fan of the holodeck feeling in tanks without interiors.

Just remember sitting in the Shilka and opening up that big fronthatch or watching the commanders feet in an MBT that were turning around when he was scanning.

I miss such details. sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]which isn't the case in some armored vehicles for example

Wich is a shame imo. I liked that in OFP. When driving some tanks I sometimes only used the interior view to drive as it gave me a better feeling of the surrounding and hindered me from driving over friendly troops that were close to the tank.

I´m not a big fan of the holodeck feeling in tanks without interiors.

Just remember sitting in the Shilka and opening up that big fronthatch or watching the commanders feet in an MBT that were turning around when he was scanning.

I miss such details.  sad_o.gif

Oh yeah I miss that too. That was a bit of a draw back with ArmA from OFP. I hope they render the interior vehicles at least when you are inside of it. I don't talk about rendering all the vehicles in the exterior because that could surely be a frame rate killer. They could do the open/close hatch/door animation associated with the enter/exit vehicle animation. That way you wouldn't see someone approaching the vehicle and open the door and not entering the vehicle leave it open or else you could do that but making a line where you would say that if the vehicle was more that a specific speed the doors would close automatically. Seriously I don't see any kind of trouble or "to hard" to do. Apart from the animations on the bigger vehicles I think it's a pretty easy thing to do. Of course that I am only talking about this animation because I suppose that the others like reloading, walking while reloading, weapons firing, being hit,  etc are already there and updated so we can no longer have a guy reloading a "plastic gun" if you know what I mean or reloading a PVC tube with... Air? That last have to do with the RPG's and M136 or other recoil-less launchers where the guy would simulate the reloading of the tube with nothing. Ok that was pretty acceptable on ArmA because it was somewhat an upgrade from OFP but if this happens in ArmAII I will be a bit disappointed. If it's a new game then it's not an ArmA upgrade, if in the final we come to an ArmA upgrade then ArmAII it's not a new game, I think you understand me. Still and from BI have give us to see, for me it's always good be it an upgrade or a new game.

Best regards to all.

From the last video from ArmA II that I know of the enter/exit vehicles animations are still a magical thing. I think it was not to hard to make some animated doors, new players animations and some kind of script to tell that when you are entering the vehicle the door should open and close. Even in AA they have animations for when you enter the HMMWV. If should not be that hard. It really spoils a bit of the immersion... :( About the lack interior 3D on some of the armour vehicles I think they should do it, I guess they will not have that too from what I have been seeing on the video clips.

A bit sad for that because this should be a great sim/game in all the aspects and sometimes little things ruin the fun a bit.

Best regards to all.