Sign in to follow this  
Oligo

If you're going to be an evil warlord...

Since it is always interesting to learn from history and considering that Blackhawk Down is based on true events, we can learn from the aforementioned movie: If you're going to be an evil warlord, invest some time to training your troops. Let's have a totally theoretical discussion:

After sitting through the two plus hours of the movie, the thought left on the top of my mind was the impression that those skinnys always shot with full auto without aiming. Thus they rarely hit anything. Also, they seemed to ignore any cover and just stood there exposed. Now if you'd take those skinnys away and replace them with a company of finnish jaegers (or any other recruits) fresh from ten weeks of proper military training, the U.S. soldiers would have been slaughtered in a half an hour or less.

The reason for this is simple: The tactical situation of the yanks was horrible. They were there down on the street attacking and the skinnys could use the whole 3D structure of the city for a defence in depth. So if each one of those skinnys actually would use proper cover and shot aimed single shots from their AKs... slaughter.

From my experience in the finnish army (a conscription army) I can say that you can teach very basic soldiering to most people in ten weeks. These green troops can win against professional soldiers, if given sufficient tactical advantage (like the skinnys were given in BHD).

So really people, if you're ever going to be a warlord or other leader of an armed faction, invest some time into training your troops. The gun is a beautiful invention, because its use can be taught to people very quickly (unlike let's say the bow). So take the time to teach it. Then your enemy will not screw you up so easily.

My troops have already taken over my whole neighbourhood!

Operation Flashpoint playing conserves my soldier skills from my 1999 Army time tounge.gif

But I think you are right. In Somalia the americans encountered a unorganised enemy force. Otherwise they would have been crushed...

ive already subjugated my entire nieghbourhood, but i cant take much actions for fear of alerting the authorities, i dont want the government to realise yet.......

Don`t worry!

They have not yet realised my take-over-the-world-plan nor the alien invasion. There should be a small place for your attempts left tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Mar. 05 2002,10:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don`t worry!

They have not yet realised my take-over-the-world-plan nor the alien invasion. There should be a small place for your attempts left  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

/me pulls the bolt on my gun, and eneters the Hind.

READY FOR ACTION

You are comprimised

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Mar. 05 2002,18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don`t worry!

They have not yet realised my take-over-the-world-plan nor the alien invasion. There should be a small place for your attempts left  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

oh, btw my plan isnt just to take over the earth, its too destroy it. Im gunna take over the moon, and put giant rockets on it, and plow it into the eart, muhahahahahahah!

Yeah, but think about the stupidity of those skinnys. They have a civil war between a bunch of warlords. They probably fought an endless number of clashes against each other and spent a zillion dollars on buying weapons. But if a single one of them just bothered to train his troops to use the weapons... that warlord could have taken the whole pile of ruin of a country in a sweep. Such waste... wink.gif

If the movie is anything to go by, most the militia were just civies who picked up weapons and ran around shooting like headless chickens. Though I think there was a few of them that were better trained (the guys manning the M2's on the back of trucks)

As far as I understand it most of the skinnys were civilians picking up weapons or members of neighborhood guards, basically your average citizen with a weapon and a will to defend his own against thieves and such.

The "real" militias would be the one that shot down the choppers. They are also the ones that captured the downed pilor, Durant(?). Lucky for him some real militias were around or he'd been cut to pieces. The proper militia probably knew how to shoot and such but also had the brains not to get to close. I know I'd sit tight with all that lead flying around and helicopter gunships doing strafing runs.

Also most of the militias were high on drugs,soo they thought they couldn't get hurt.I seen the true story of black hawk down on the history channel.

As far as I understand it most of the skinnys were civilians picking up weapons or members of neighborhood guards

for a while the troops were "tricked" because as soon as a somali got shot and dropped his gun they would send out a woman or kid to get it and of course they knew the US is not to big on shooting kids and women so the kid/women would take the gun to the next guy to use it.. eventually though they caught on and ANYONE who tried to pick up the weapon was shot... in the end there were literally a pile of bodies surrounding a single weapon.. they must have been on something...