Sign in to follow this  
Bush

Vegetation sounds

One thing that I’m missing in ArmA is the vegetation sound, for example when you drive over a bush(not me) or tree there should be a sound. This was present in OFP but is missing in ArmA, is there any reason why this was removed for ArmA? I hope this is going to be back in ArmA 2.

Ohh yes!

That would be very aweome!

Or imagine leafs and branches rustle and creak in the wind....

Please BIS this is missing and would totally add immersion to that awesome landscape!

This was very cool in ofp, when you heard enemies driven over bush.

But sounds should be diffrent for trees and small bushes.

I miss them too

I agree. This should be implemented into ArmA 2.

This is one of many features in OFP that were not included in ArmA 1.

Stated that vehicles will have several "ground" sounds. Not only sand/grass. Also units have more sounds than ARMA1. Dont know what of the updates i saw it in, but yes, its stated.

Alex

72 @ Mar. 07 2009,15:50)]Stated that vehicles will have several "ground" sounds. Not only sand/grass. Also units have more sounds than ARMA1. Dont know what of the updates i saw it in, but yes, its stated.

Alex

You are thinking of this:

Quote[/b] ]Sounds

• 3D positioning with Doppler effect

• 3D environment effects including distance based distortion, reverberation, occlusionsand obstructions

• Speed of sound and supersonic bullet crack simulation

• 978 separate sound samples (footsteps, gearnoises, movements etc.)

• Each vehicle sound is composed from more than 40 noises (engine, friction of tyres on surfaces, etc.)

• New simulation of the sounds of aircraft and helicopters

• Improved sound of tanks with separate noises of the engine and treads.

But this does not confirm that there is going to be vegetation sounds, and the problem is that this feature was present in OFP but removed in ArmA for whatever reason and I have not seen any mod or addon that fixes this.

Yeah it was good in opf, I remember sneaking around then hearing bushes etc getting crushed, then there would be a bmp right behind you, keeping really still so it did not see you lol.

smile_o.gif

I reported this missing falling tree sound bug to ArmA bugtracker long ago, there was config entry for it like in Ofp but it just didn´t work in ArmA.

Config.cpp in plants.pbo

note: there is no Sound directory in plants.pbo

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgPatches {

class CAPlants {

units[] = {};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.1;

requiredAddons[] = {};

};

};

class cfgVehicles {

class House; // External class reference

class Land_Javor01Posed : House {

ladders[] = {{"start", "end"}};

model = "\ca\Plants\Javor01Posed";

displayName = "Strom-Posed";

};

class Land_parez_str_test : House {

model = "\ca\Plants\parez_str_test.p3d";

displayName = "Parez-hrusen";

};

};

class CfgDestroy {

class TreeHit {

sound[] = {"\ca\plants\Sound\Treehit1", 0.0316228, 1};

};

};

class CfgNonAiVehicles {

class Proxy_hrusen2 {

model = "\ca\plants\hrusen2.p3d";

autocenter = 0;

scope = 2;

animated = 1;

reversed = 0;

simulation = "alwaysshow";

};

};

There's a lot of "interaction sounds" missing in ArmA, like aircraft touch down, vehicle driving off road/on road, vehicle jumping etc...

I really PRAY that BIS devs read this!

Would be total immersion bringer! At least if they don't implement it with sonds, at least the config values should working so that sound-mod guys can fix it then.

I fully agree, though mainly it would be cool to have the branches/leaves rustle when you walked through them.

I fully agree, though mainly it would be cool to have the branches/leaves rustle when you walked through them.

guys watch the USMC video again, the night scene, two of main heroes walking in the woods. If I'm correct, you hear vegetation noise in there.

Ah yes, sorry Bush. Misread your post. Would be sweet for sure. More immersion. Good call.

Alex

Here is an example from OFP:

From 2:45 to 3:10 you will hear a sound when the tank is driving over and cutting down the trees and bushes, it's not the best sound but if you do the same in ArmA it’s completely silent.

I have to agree with this two. It seems there were some nice features of OFP that didn't make it to ArmA for some reason. Another example is the lack of a 3D cockpit for the armor vehicles. Hope they change this in ArmA II.

Regards.

Aah, I remember that mission. There was a bug sometimes, so you couldnt finish the mission. He could take out those choppers with tank main gun though.

Yeah, ArmA is much more sillent then OFP but with good sound mod its nice again. I hope for more sound in future too.

guys watch the USMC video again, the night scene, two of main heroes walking in the woods. If I'm correct, you hear vegetation noise in there.

Well that would be indeed good news. +1 (or +10) for immersion factor.

Ofcourse it is interesting to see how AI copes with this.

Well that would be indeed good news. +1 (or +10) for immersion factor.

Ofcourse it is interesting to see how AI copes with this.

I listened again to that video, you can hear some sounds from different terain types when they are walking. Which is great!

But as I heard it now I think it might be to soft, it misses some branches being stepped on which will get your attention.

And you can't really tell if it's more than one soldier walking there, so there have to be some more different sounds. At night with no vision you really should be able to tell how many people are walking around near you.

Yep sounds to me too that its a ground sound wich again - is super! You might hear branches snap and get your attention. Seems ArmA2 will have many surface sounds. Gravel, grass, tarmac and forest possibly.

Trees snapping from vehicles driving into them would be even more super though. And who knows. Well just have to wait and see.

Alex