Sign in to follow this  
da12thMonkey

UKF Release: Jackal MWMIK

Not a clue, can you give a detailed description of where abouts this ledge is and under what conditions? We've been ragging it silly on the VCB server and never came cross something like that?

[edit]

more odd that its only the one version thats doing it, given they all share the same geometry lod

Sorry to bother ya but redownloaded seems to be ok but then again it seems like it was only certain rocks/sidewalks as if the front suspension would WAY over correct and just launch it up.

Uziyadu, thats not really got much to do with the addon at hand though.

I wasn't the one who posted the video in this thread, and seeing as how the vehicle is rather new in the field, discussion about the vehicle, itself, (which would explain why we would want to download it) seems appropriate.

I'm just trying to figure out some of the "reasoning" behind this vehicle that costs 600,000 pounds.

Can Landrovers not do what these vehicles did in that video?

Uziyahu: No. The "Snatch" Landrover is overloaded for its engine power and powertrain; its mobility is severely hampered. This comes up repeatedly in accounts from Afghanistan - dunno about Iraq, not my focus. The conventional Landrover/"Landie" is not small arms fire resistant. The Supacat MWMIK has superior engine power, ground clearance, powertrain efficiency, and was designed to accomodate the armour load it is carrying now. I am not certain, but given my knowledge of other "mineproofed" vehicles the Jackal probably has a monocoque hull and underside shaping to deflect blast force. The Landrover - any variant - does not have this.

UKF: There is an appropriate Canadian expression. "Fucking A." This is some quality work, but I have noticed some bugs. I would hope that during MP testing the scripting proves to be robust; I suspect it will be just fine given that VOLCBAT tested it.

I have been unable to replicate the Kangaroo MWMIK problem, but I have noticed that the rounds are not coming from the barrel of the GPMG equipped model. They are instead coming from below and left of the barrel. They match fine on the GMG and M2 variants.

Is the viewpoint when in optics mode for the GPMG meant to be well above the sights so as to observe fall of shot more easily? Otherwise the PoV is too high and one cannot sight in on a target using the sights, instead use of Guesstarightabouttherefucktoolow is required.

MP is completely fine. We (VOLCBAT) have had it for some time, apart from dealing death in a gloriously over the top fashion it's spot on.

I'll let Messiah answer your other questions as I'm just an advisor.

GPMG sights are intended due to engine limitations and model problems, I'll have a look at where the rounds exit the barrel, something's obviously slipped by, but nothing major by all accounts. There is only one script on the addon, and that randomises the spare wheel covers on the desert versions, otherwise everything else is engine based.

A primary release without a few bugs isn't a proper release at all whistle.gif

Uzi, this is a release thread for an ArmA addon. Discussing the merits or lack of merits of a vehicle have no basis here. There are plenty of military forums where such discussions are better served. Whether or not it does its job effectively has no baring on whether a) we make the addon and b) if the arma community wish to play with it. Thats generally the point I'm getting at.

There are several design solutions in place on the jackal to help protect the crew (In addition to what AKm has said, you'll notice that the crew sit between the front wheels, rather than above them. Couple that with the shaped wheel arches, blasts are deflected to the sides and away from the cab)

It is "good" vs IED's in comparison to the vehicle is it semi replacing (The WMIK), not in comparison to, say, a Mastiff. Each vehicle serves a specific purpose in the field/ Up-armouring a jackal so it would be totally IED resistant, yet could only drive at 13mph and get bogged down in soft sand would neuter its intended role in the battlefield. Lest we forget that for the most part these vehicles are out crossing bare terrain, not following roads where IED's can be easily placed.

should you wish to continue discussing the traits of the real life vehicle either please do so by IM or on a more appropriate forum, I don't see the need to litter a release thread about an ArmA addon with irrelevant items.

Messiah: Good to hear. Fortunately the stream of tracers does make it rather easy to observe fall of shot, so it's not a major flaw, just something for the player to be aware of. I'm surprised you've managed to put as much "bling" on it as you have with just the engine: the recoiling weapons are something I've wanted to see for a long time. Nicely done.

Edit: Forgot to mention earlier; one can't define the player as the vehicle commander via the mission editor; is this a limitation of the engine or just an oversight? I suspect the former, but it isn't as if UKF are sitting on their hands.

Uzi: I would direct you to the TankNet forums. You'd be able to elaborate in depth on the pros and contras of the Jackal versus the Snatch Landie there (and, if you argue the pro/cons of the Jackal versus snatch you'll be in the same league as Sparky, so do try to avoid that).

The moderators on those military forums also often will kick you out soon after you are first flamed brutally if you sound like you don't know what you are talking about.  Hell, I'm ex-military and still have gotten skewered on such forums for just daring to give a simple opinion.  

I don't see any problems talking about those things here.  We download such vehicles because we are interested in making missions with them... so I don't see the harm in talking about the real life vehicle so that we don't have to be looking all over the internet for stuff about them.  The real life aspects can also apply to the addon such as, for example, will it detonate a landmine in the game if it goes over it?  More importantly will it be destroyed with the crew killed? Ditto for satchel charges used as IED's in game.  

I'm in interested in making a mission with these vehicles and my Taliban addon where they will be facing IED's and/or land mines.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

First off WOW! Very nice work. Love the weapon animations and scope anims. smile_o.gif And cool vehicle as well. Very nice. notworthy.gif

This is probably not your problem but im posting here as well. With use of the VOP soundmod i noticed that when the grenade launcher is being fired you can hear it very far away like your in the car yourself. Bit odd. Going to post at the VOP thread as well.

/Alex

72 @ Mar. 01 2009,15:10)]i noticed that when the grenade launcher is being fired you can hear it very far away like your in the car yourself.

This bug sounds very much like the db value of the GMG is set too high.

db controls how the sound "drops off" over distance, and not the actual volume of the sound. Bigger db number - the further away you can hear the sound.

AKM - It's a game limitation, Messiah mentioned earlier that because It isn't an armoured vehicle the "getincommander" command doesn't work, see earlier in this thread for a work around.

Jonny_LI

Nicelly done guys. thumbs-up.gif  

It's a shame i can't try it out properly since i'm abroad and my notebook doesn't handle ArmA very well.  confused_o.gif

AKM - Much of it was tested with weapon reticules on, and we found that firing the gpmg using the reticules in normal First person mode (not V) was accurate enough for the job at hand.

The front gpmg station is always the vehicle commander, or at least that is how its configged.

Miles - now that I agree with, asking how to use it within a mission is certainly within the framework of such a thread, but discussion the flaws of the vehicles or asking 'what were they thinking' etc is not.

Thank you all for the bug reports thus far, not many to choose from which is always a good thing. They will be fixed, but we'll give it some time before releasing any sort of update (besides the GMG sound which can be updated quickly and easily when the Chally 2 is released)

Good work fellas! Just gutted that I don't have the time to play like the good old days.

Good work fellas!  Just gutted that I don't have the time to play like the good old days.

Bugger! Haven't seen you in awhile Ade, when you get your mojo/PC back VCB always has a slot open for you!

Jonny_LI: Thanks. Didn't have time to go through the four (at the time) pages of the thread in detail. Good job beta testing this, very few issues.

Messiah: Aye, that would do the job. I'm more prone to noticing it because the servers I typically play on have the crosshairs disabled. Moot point now though, I have developed "GPMGjutsu" through a few minutes of experience of firing at targets at various ranges, getting "first burst" hits now and so on. Thanks for your work with this, the time and effort you and the UKF team have put into it show.

As to use in mission making: I'm currently working up a LRDG-inspired mission using these that focuses on hit and run tactics against a couple of large irregular convoys. I'm not expert by any means, but I seem to recall something about the Royal Marines operating hunt groups in the large desert tracts of Afghanistan, using vehicles that either are the MWMIK here or similar to the Jackal, for the sole purpose of interdicting AQT supply columns. That would be a good application for these vehicles. Or one could put the player in command of a FSG and support a platoon attack going in on a village, using the vehicles and the superb "adjust range" feature on the GMG to provide supporting fire from range.

If I get the former mission done up in a reasonable amount of time I'll convert it back to use default addons and the MWMIKs and post a link in this thread.

I tried this one out last night and I have to say they looked fantastic! You guys sure do put a lot into your work and it really shows. Keep up the brilliant work, guys. Loving it. notworthy.gif

AKM, we'd appreciate that greatly. I was meaning to make some missions to go along with this, but time ran away from me as always.

Again thanks for the kind words and the feedback. I've fixed those things that have been mentioned (and of course I agree need fixing) and then a few other bits and bobs that have been mentioned to me.

Well done brilliant addon!

Just a big cool looking buggy! Love the suspension and the

HMG one, turn up the volume and do some very long range

fire support.

The adjustable site for the GMG is very handy aswell, easy

to shoot accuratly over greater distances!

[uK] Fkn Mega! [/uK]

AKM - The groups that 3 Commando Brigade began using are called Mobile Operation Groups (MOGs) setup with the purpose of mincing around the desert hitting targets at seemingly random before dissapearing back into the desert amongst other taskings.

Look forward to your mission!

Jonny_LI

Fantastic work here, sweet stuff smile_o.gif

Looking forward to see more stuff from you guys in the future, you will be around for ArmA2 as well?

Fantastic release, i hope we can expect the Chally 2 and Warrior soon smile_o.gif

After giving it a good battle test, aside from the bugs already mentioned, may I suggest that the armor levels be increased a bit?

One RPG makes the whole thing blow up. Also one satchel charge makes the crew bail out....but after a few seconds the entire vehicle explodes and usually kills the crew. By increasing the armor level a bit it hopefully will cause the crew to bail out without the vehicle exploding after one RPG hit or one satchel charge.

Also if there is a way to make it detonate mines, that would be great, but I understand if that's a game engine limitation.

Oh, one more thing. I would recommend a different sound on the GMG (automatic grenade launcher) as it sounds like something metalic clanking and not a 40mm DP grenade. I know its not a Mk19, but I've fired the Mk-19 in real life which uses the same ammunition. It sounds much different with a nice thump thump thump kinda sound. The current sound on this I think kinda takes away some of the ambience during a battle. I know a youtube video may have had that sound, but such audio is often very bad depending on the mics in the camera, the position of the microphones, and how the video was recorded (from TV? DVD?) and the file compression used. All of these factors can badly mangle a sound usually by removing alot of the bass frequencies.

But it's up to you UKF guys as to whether or not you like the sound.

At any rate, those are my suggestions for improving this wonderful addon.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Lol - not sure I'd accuse a Royal Marine of mincing . . . mashing, maybe.

Are you chaps working on a Mastif ? (search shows it listed in the UKF addon thread but it will take ages for to search the 32 pages. Your work is just too damn popular. And good.)

cjph

I think it's in their scope, they're doing current brit equipment.