Sign in to follow this  
walker

Arma II Officially Better Looking Than Crysis?

Oh yeah, when ppl were bitching ArmA, you were all saying "Games arent all just about graphix, its the GAMEPLAY that matters". I've kinda read that type of comment a million times. Now it's OFP2 that is visually inferior(tho I think its pretty decent) and you guys are jumping at it saying "yea that OFP 2 totally sux lol like the graphix are n00b". It's the gameplay guys. wink_o.gif

I sense...ahem, hypocrisy?

Don't get me wrong ArmA2 enjoys my priority but OFP2 sure is gonna be fun too.

I believe the reason people are doing this, is because all the opinions of Arma II from devoted DR people was that it looked 'crappy'.. many other bad names, and they were comparing it against the cinematic renders by CM, as if these visuals were it's strength. Now the cat is out of the bag on the bland, sterile environment shown in this latest vid, they feel the injustice and vent (I know I do). nener.gif

On topic: Crysis may have some environmental interaction that's more detailed than Arma II, but the overall beauty is real, as a previous poster stated, while Crysis is artificially flamboyant (cartoony is not the right word, but I hope you get my meaning).

Oh yeah, when ppl were bitching ArmA, you were all saying "Games arent all just about graphix, its the GAMEPLAY that matters". I've kinda read that type of comment a million times. Now it's OFP2 that is visually inferior(tho I think its pretty decent) and you guys are jumping at it saying "yea that OFP 2 totally sux lol like the graphix are n00b". It's the gameplay guys. wink_o.gif

I sense...ahem, hypocrisy?

Don't get me wrong ArmA2 enjoys my priority but OFP2 sure is gonna be fun too.

This was an awsome post Ziiip... and it couldn't be more true, this community is esentially built on hypocrisy.

I mean common, someone was saying OFP2 was a total failure simply because the weapon model wasn't showing in one of their demo videos. You know what? When I first bought ArmA1 it was a total disaster to the point I couldn't even play it. And it wasn't an early demo video of the game, it was a game I payed for that was far less stable then some alpha build games I have tested. But yet the ArmA community was like "Pfff these things happen, they'll fix it... its no big deal". But forbid some other developer has a relativly small issue in an early demo video and the community is ready to denounce their game as dead, even without knowing much about the gameplay aspect. Its really sad actually to see such immaturity from a community that seems to prides itself on being one of the most mature in the gameing world. I mean can't everyone simply be happy that theres going to be two large scale mil-sims released this year?

Back on the actual topic here tho... untill we have the game in our hands we won't be able to tell with game has better graphics. My personal belief is when you crank the graphics on Crysis the models are far sharper, more detailed, and the textures are far better then what we have seen in ArmA2 so far. Where ArmA2 does shine over Cyrsis however is in its "real" look. Crysis might have better graphics, but ArmA2's are far more real looking.

Well, Scrub has a point too - maybe the reason why people are complaining about DR's graphics are all the shiny CGI trailers and 'shopped pictures that spoiled them?

That's at least true with me smile_o.gif

Back on the actual topic here tho... untill we have the game in our hands we won't be able to tell with game has better graphics. My personal belief is when you crank the graphics on Crysis the models are far sharper, more detailed, and the textures are far better then what we have seen in ArmA2 so far. Where ArmA2 does shine over Cyrsis however is in its "real" look. Crysis might have better graphics, but ArmA2's are far more real looking.

I think you said what I couldn't put together into words very well. Cryengine 2 could be quickly taylored to have a look that would compete with ArmA2 if a mod team desired to do so (the SDK is finally out, that could happen if someone wished to do a reality-esce mod) by stripping away the extra glitter, however in scale CE2 or even CE3 which was just announced, I doubt could compare to the sheer size of ArmA2. Environmentally ArmA2's low textures, lack of shadows, and a few chalky particle effects (dust, blast effects) drags the game down visually though the textures for the uniforms and vehicles are utterly fantastic in my opinion, as well as some of the building models we've seen in videos which from what I can judge look quite nice. Infact everytime I see the video of the Hind cockpit I start shuffling in my seat getting ansy for this game's release. Actually in it's current visual incarnation that we've seen in the last few weeks of videos, I am content with the game so long as what many have mentioned isn't present, and that is namely the clunkly controls and movements. I don't like to feel as if I am a robot fighting robots, even if it is the reality of the situation.

Now people have made excuses and such saying this and that doesn't need to be detailed, that we never notice that anyways, but there are many that do and it isn't wrong to critique these points. Do we need these extra touches? Perhaps not, but it wouldn't hurt, and would actually be fantastic if it would be. I love that kind of immersion, though if some of it has to be sacrificed for gameplay then so be it. Todays hardware cannot make everything crisp and detailed with a 225km world with a 30km or more view distance (assuming since OFP:DR is boasting a 35km view distance I figured ArmA2 would compete, anyone know of the official word on the max view distance?) without sacrifices, so long as they are needed sacrifices. I'm starting to see unnecessary sacrifices and somewhat dishonest presentations with OFP:DR which are making me cringe as I have an interest in both ArmA2 and OFP:DR titles, but the new OFP does not need to start turning into a BF3 with a hard mode (it may already have).....leave that to BF3 if and when it is ever announced.

Has a 35km view distance been confirmed for OFP:DR? I thought it was a mere rumor.

Has a 35km view distance been confirmed for OFP:DR? I thought it was a mere rumor.

I was going off of a comparison chart. If is just a rumor then I should retract that statement. 35km does seem a bit....much for hardware, considering in ArmA Ace Mod you're pushing it trying to have 5km view distances (i'm usually at 3.5km).

I was going off of a comparison chart.

Hi all

To Steakslim. Which compaison chart? Where? Linky please.

Kind Regards walker

I was going off of a comparison chart.

Hi all

To Steakslim. Which compaison chart? Where? Linky please.

Kind Regards walker

http://operationflashpoint2.org/ofp2-vs-arma2-fact-thread/

There's a few other sites that have copypasta this information, but I figure this is the source for obvious reasons, and AVIBird is the author so you might want to ask him directly for his source.

I might be the one being wrong smile_o.gif. AVIBIRD may be able to clarify us. Still, 35km seems a lot. Will the island in OFP:DR be that long anyway?

EDIT: I sent a PM to AVIBIRD regarding this issue...

No matter if theres 35km or 200 km view distance, I cant see how this affects gameplay.

When I fly high in Arma, It doesn't really make much difference when I crank it from 10km to 15km. when you go past a certain distance it doesn't matter so much anymore, so I wouldn't be surprised if CM decided 35km view distance wasn't worth prioritizing.

When will people stop comparing the two games though? Simply buy what you want smile_o.gif

The two games will probably share a lot of players anyway.

More on the subject of the 35 km view distance.  In my experience, it doesn't make any sense unless you're flying at an altitude of something like 17500m.  Even il2 doesn't have such a view distance, and I would defy you to really notice it.  OFPDR's world is only something like 20km across.  It maybe be nice to see across the whole island but I don't think it's necessary, as you certainly won't be engaging or seeing anything way out there- unless you're seeing a burning ship off of the coast or something and are witness to a gigantic pillar of smoke that's visible from anywhere on the island... which would be pretty rad.

Hi, to me the view distance it's important, but as i mainly play as a

grunt or as much.. as MBT crewman... it don't really makes much

difference; but keep in mind the weapons range, 25Km for the

Maverics, 18Km for the Hellfires, 6 to 8Km for the M1A1 and T-84

main guns, 1'8 to 2'2Km for the M2HB machinegun. A good valance

between the max engagement/scan range and the effective/scan

range it's better. I would like that the ArmA2 manages and allows

a bit more of view distance than the current ArmA, that for me it's

3'5Km in SP and 2'5Km in MP (when i can switch it in the mission

itself); but that's because i don't use to use planes, that need a

bigger efective view distance to take aproach and exit routes etc

to put the planes in good service. Let's C ya

OFPDR's world is only something like 20km across.  

No, ArmA/Sahrani is that, Floperation Asspoint 2 is 40 km.

Also I'd like to note that VBS2 has 50 km View Distance. I don't see why ArmA 2 can't have that option.

Hi, to me the view distance it's important, but as i mainly play as a

grunt or as much.. as MBT crewman... it don't really makes much

difference; but keep in mind the weapons range, 25Km for the

Maverics, 18Km for the Hellfires, ...

With those examples you might keep in mind that usually they don't directly engage at that distance by visual fire direction but would usually use Radar/IR/Forward Observers instead.

The longest <s>shots</s> hits on spot targets I know of, with an unguided weapon visually directed from the gun platform were about 26km, claimed by german and american ships in different naval engagements in WW2.

Earth shape actually plays already a role in this case, e.g. from 2m you are already down to about 15km to see the tip of another 2m tall target.

Edit: I would actually be surprised if OFP/ArmA/ArmAII was modelling earth curvature... But with the support to move in/on vehicles and the multiple gun support we might need this for the inevitable battleship mod  biggrin_o.gif

Also I'd like to note that VBS2 has 50 km View Distance. I don't see why ArmA 2 can't have that option.

ArmA 1 can have that if you go into the config files, I think.  It's just that the program becomes very demanding after a certain point.  I think that the limit the devs put on the slider is an arbitrary practical limit.

I thought that 'floperation asspoint's' world was slightly smaller than chernarus, which was slightly smaller than the map of Sahrani. Sahrani is 400km^2, which is 20km x 20km.  Where have I gone wrong?

edit:  Ah, I see. It's 220km^2 of land mass. I wonder how the full map size compares to Sahrani or chernarus.

I also thought that the maximum range of a hellfire missile was more like 7 or 8km.  I guess they have made improvements since the data I read (a bit ago) was current?

if codies do have such a big view distance then surely it will cut down on the quality of close up stuff and performance.

codemasters and the big fat english man stated a 35km view but why can you trust them after the whole console mission editor crap. I will have to stay playing the eilte for 2 more years how sad for me. Well it's still the best game on the consoles hands down.

ps. yes I am back because I have no place to go but home with BOHEMIA and hope they make a console game. icon_rolleyes.gif

codemasters and the big fat english man stated a 35km view but why can you trust them after the whole console mission editor crap. I will have to stay playing the eilte for 2 more years how sad for me. Well it's still the best game on the consoles hands down.

ps. yes I am back because I have no place to go but home with BOHEMIA and hope they make a console game. icon_rolleyes.gif

welcome.gif

It was stated by a CM forum Admin that the view distance wasn't going to be 35 km.

Since they scrapped the airplanes and the grass render distance or object density seem rather low at the moment, I'm tempted to believe that effective view distance will be much less in the final game.

Maybe 3-6 km, just as regular Arma. That's plenty already for infantry battles.

Then the big fat english man from codemasters did not tell the truth again. That is 3 fat lies.

Damn, again i thought when i enter on bis forums that thris thread says: Arma II: Officially Bet..A

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Actually, in ArmA1 Sahrani (mainland, excluding islands like Rahmadi and Antigua) is 14x14=196km2 which also covers a good (1/4-1/3?) portion of water. Makes it about 130-145km2 of playable land? ArmA2 is said to cover 225km2 which is 15x15, but here it is mostly land, say at least 200km2 of playable land? It is a nice upgrade, but it is not that massive.

Hi all

Yet another article is out about ArmA looking better than Crysis. This seems to be the current view in the Gaming Press.

Quote[/b] ]Arma II Officially Better Looking Than Crysis?By William Usher: 2009-02-20 16:38:00

know Crysis and KillZone 2 received a heck of a lot of praise for their graphics, but Arma II is literally right up there with them, if not a stride ahead. The game looks stunning, simply stunning. A new trailer was released and you can view it along with some exclusive new screen captures right here at Blend Games...

Follow the link for the full story as well as new pictures and a video

http://www.cinemablend.com/games....06.html

ArmA is shaping up to be the best Game of 2009.

I think it is time to discuss this in the forums.

Kind regards walker

that would means BI has rewrited the lighting engine ?

because lighting in arma is the real failure , against cryengine or UE.