Sign in to follow this  
M.Andersson(SWE)

BI press release Re: OFP title and development

the only reason ARMA had to be released to make money was because codemasters messed everything up half way through the proccess of making a sequel to ofp.

the only reason ARMA had to be released to make money was because codemasters messed everything up half way through the proccess of making a sequel to ofp.

huh?

there was originally going to be only one sequel to OFP, developed by BIS and published by codemasters. However, due to codemasters and BIS having problems agreeing (or something like that) they split and arma 1 ended up being made and released.

So what your telling me is  Bohemia released a worthless POS JUST so they could make some money and ALL of you find that OK?

Wow that burns my ass and makes me think you all really need a reality check. If anyone else did that you all woulda ripped em apart. I won't be buying anymore bohemia products i see in the future.

Thats like a goddamn slap in the face

If you're incapable of making a point without offensive trolling then your capability to post on this forum won't last much longer, you're entitled to your opinion, you're not entitled to be offensive and abusive.

abusive for what? because im digusted by what people are saying? maybe the choice of words and if thats the case fine I apologize but dont try and tell me how i should feel. Even you cant take that away from someone and despite you not liking my opinion im entitled to it. if i worded it wrong then that falls on me.

I really liked this comment of someone commenting the Q&A

Quote[/b] ]OFP, ARMA and ARMA 2 are the civillian adaptations of real military training sims - the Virtual Battlespace system.

OFP2 is developed purely as a game.

Even though codemaster's say they are developing it as a "Military Sim" I believe it is more of a game. I think OFP2 looks exactly like Battlefield: Bad Company....

So what your telling me is  Bohemia released a worthless POS JUST so they could make some money and ALL of you find that OK?

Wow that burns my ass and makes me think you all really need a reality check. If anyone else did that you all woulda ripped em apart. I won't be buying anymore bohemia products i see in the future.

Thats like a goddamn slap in the face

ArmA was released early, which the devs have already said they regret(I believe) and it was due to possible finincial trouble(if only I could find the interview where something like this was mentioned).

Make some money? Yeah, isn't that the point of selling a product? Making money? Or do you have a vision of a greedy Marek who just wants to sit on a huge pile of money?

I really liked this comment of someone commenting the Q&A
Quote[/b] ]OFP, ARMA and ARMA 2 are the civillian adaptations of real military training sims - the Virtual Battlespace system.

OFP2 is developed purely as a game.

Even though codemaster's say they are developing it as a "Military Sim"  I believe it is more of a game.  I think OFP2 looks exactly like Battlefield: Bad Company....

I think it would be more true to say that VBS is a military adaptation of a civilian simulation game.

I think you could say that VBS is a game too, and it is also a tool. War games, like field excercises, are games, simulations, and tools as well.

Or do you have a vision of a greedy Marek who just wants to sit on a huge pile of money?

I think i am very good in knowing people and i think that Marek is not such kind of businessman. biggrin_o.gif

At least after all the interview-videos i saw.... tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]there was originally going to be only one sequel to OFP, developed by BIS and published by codemasters. However, due to codemasters and BIS having problems agreeing (or something like that) they split and arma 1 ended up being made and released.

Since that question has never be really confirmed by anyone of BIS (according to my knowledge), i would be really interested what REALLY happened bhind the scenes and what Arma1 really was/is.

Is it the OFP1.5 everyone is talking about? was Arma2 ALWAYS "Game2" and has at a progress-point developing "branched/forked" into Arma1 to realease it and making some money, etc.... and what role had Codemaster sin that...

Of course in a separate thread/pm please whistle.giftounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I remember reading Arma 1 was orignally planned as a expansion to ofp 1 that turned out with more than planned stuff.

And Game 2 is Arma 2 thats been under development under all these years, even though some of the tec initally made for Game 2 found its way to arma 1 smile_o.gif

mentioned in this interview with placebo biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]According to this article of a well known Game magazine in The Netherlands, Operation Flashpoint 2 is created by Bohemia interactive and distributed by Codemasters.

What's worse, I e-mailed them with the truth right after I read this preview in the printed magazine. No reponse, no corrections.

Quote[/b] ]According to this article of a well known Game magazine in The Netherlands, Operation Flashpoint 2 is created by Bohemia interactive and distributed by Codemasters.

What's worse, I e-mailed them with the truth right after I read this preview in the printed magazine. No reponse, no corrections.

Thats pure lazyness I suspect. But dont worry too much, Power Unlimited isnt for serious gamers that would take interest in ArmA anyway tounge2.gif

BTW, would BIS let us (the community) know when you recieve a non-public response from CM?

I really don't even understand what CM had to gain from building the game themselves.  I mean they're outsourcing a brunt of their projects already to Dhruva Interactive.  I even found this blog post, googled, regarding the outsource initiative.  It probably would have been cheaper for them to fund BIS to continue the development of OFP2 instead of doing it themselves.  We would have a happily funded gaming studio and we probably would have had an awesome ArmA2/OFP2 release.

Fk Andersson, you should watch the HD version of that footage and pause on the editing tools part. It's really not that impressive. You can do the same in the BIS tools already.

BTW, would BIS let us (the community) know when you recieve a non-public response from CM?

That would make it not non-public wink_o.gif

I really don't even understand what CM had to gain from building the game themselves.  I mean they're outsourcing a brunt of their projects already to Dhruva Interactive.  I even found this blog post, googled, regarding the outsource initiative.  It probably would have been cheaper for them to fund BIS to continue the development of OFP2 instead of doing it themselves.  We would have a happily funded gaming studio and we probably would have had an awesome ArmA2/OFP2 release.

Hmmm....     what did codemasters have to gain?.....

full control of the OFP brand?....  

ability to make a game with wider appeal?.....

a rep for below the belt business tactics all publishers need before they can enter the "inner circle"?.....

yes i think it's the last one.  rofl.gif

I think this is one of the interviews Mehman is refering too.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article....kip=yes

Quote[/b] ]

Spanel: We released the game before Christmas in eastern and central Europe. The reason for this was simple: we ended up on our own with regards to everything. We're not a big company, and we had to release in order to get some income, it's as simple as that. There are sometimes not many choices you can make, it's either 'do something or do nothing'. We're completely independent developers and we didn't find a way to agree with any big publishers. A year ago, nobody believed in the game at all.

I think this is one of the interviews Mehman is refering too.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article....kip=yes

Quote[/b] ]

Spanel: We released the game before Christmas in eastern and central Europe. The reason for this was simple: we ended up on our own with regards to everything. We're not a big company, and we had to release in order to get some income, it's as simple as that. There are sometimes not many choices you can make, it's either 'do something or do nothing'. We're completely independent developers and we didn't find a way to agree with any big publishers. A year ago, nobody believed in the game at all.

Is that the real translation?! Thats almost hard to believe... If thats not honesty, I can't say what is. I have great respect for that.

Perhaps they could make a "VH1, behind the music" sort of thing for us smile_o.gif

maybe THAT could be the collectors edition:

"includes a documentary entitled "the story behind ARMA 2".

That would make it not non-public wink_o.gif

I knew I would get this answer biggrin_o.gif But I ment just a statement that cm responded, not the actual content of the correspondence ofc

Just saw this posted on the thread in the Codemasters forum so I'm posting it here:

Bohemia slams OpFlash 2 marketing - Eurogamer.

Not much new, but clears things up from their perspective.

From the article:

Quote[/b] ]"One old Czech proverb says 'a lie repeated a hundred times becomes the truth' and there is some point in it that could be applied to the gaming industry and media these days. Maybe from Codemasters it was just a series of unfortunate misunderstandings, but something is seriously wrong when in a preview on a major gaming site, one of the developers of the new game, who was never even remotely involved in the development of the original, is credited as a 'veteran of the original Flashpoint team'," Spanel said.

That's how Clive Lindop, Dragon Rising's senior designer, was originally introduced to Eurogamer when we visited the studio to see the game in development. After Bohemia protested and we took it up with Codemasters, we were told Lindop was a prominent member of the original Flashpoint "community", and published a correction.