Sign in to follow this  
M.Andersson(SWE)

BI press release Re: OFP title and development

CM can use the name ofcourse. But people that dont know better and many people that heard about OFP and how nice it is might think OFP2 is the successor. BIS does right to go out and say that ARMA2 is the real successor. From CM's side owning the brand and use it is ofcourse pure business tactics. Ive seen that latest video of OFP2 and i cant see much similarities.

And i think successors should be alike since you love a game and want the next to have the same feel but with updates here and there - not a totally new product. In that case it isnt really a succesor, but a new game. ARMA has everything that OFP has. Down to scripting language and all. ARMA2 will be the same. ergo - true successor.

In my world anyway.

I own a company and to me making it known who really creates the true follow up sounds logical. Spread it like the wind. Go BIS! smile_o.gif

Regards

Alex

Plaintiff1 the only thing ignorant statement is your lack of respect no where did I say anything for or against either. Companies buy out and takeover companies all the time and buy out divisions and if your naive enough to believe that CM wouldnt use the name that they OWN your a fool.

So please spare your comments to someone who really gives a crap either way.

Project Reality is my choice actually. They did get it right.

Quote[/b] ]BIS does right to go out and say that ARMA2 is the real successor.

I would say that VBS1 was the real OFP successor.

In my view I have to agree that some of the techniques used by CM are below par. I would be a bit peeved if I was in the CEO's position.

So I can see and agree why they would want to interject. Infact I agree they certainly should.

However I disagree with making a big public statement out of it. I hate it when companies, feel they have to hash out their arguments like some big publicity statement.

I am certain that this has been done to draw attention, but from some of the comments I have seen on 3rd party sites and my own personal oppinion. Not many people actually care about the name. It truly is the game!

Maybe there are aspects to this I am just not seeing. But at the moment my view is that it looks childish to publicly release a statement that BIS are taking action against Codemasters, as it results in a 'he said she said situation,' just more polite and with better wording from both parties.

My view would be - sort it out like adults/professional companies, out in the car park,I mean office, not infront of the online gaming communities. As if you fight fire in public, you could get burned, with several thousand if not more people watching. wink_o.gif

PS - I know I am a low poster, so apologies if my post is gash, I'm more of a forum stalker, await my opportunity and pounce. ;-)

This is stuff I like. I agree that it's not perfectly professional to have this letter to CM be public, but on the other hand CM has leeched on BIS's work with OFP to promote their own completely unrelated product, and against the contract on top of that. The least they deserve is a public kick in the balls.

I do see where your coming from.

I think in essance what I am trying to say as its not the done thing, not just in games development and publishing, but any buisness.

It just looks quite poor when you openly challange a competator. On prices and location of distribution that's different, thats competative sales. But on a legal matter, its extremely rare that things like this are openly brought up to a fan base, or ultimatley potential/future customers of a product.

I just feel it may have been something better resolved quietly in court and not on the BIS forums. Even though its something that has clearly been demonstrated a weak legal case.

Sometimes a community can have a little too much transparency about what happens behind closed doors.

Anyway I'll be quiet now as when I start to use words like transparency its time to turn off the management speak and get on to co-opage. smile_o.gif

Griff

Quote[/b] ]BIS does right to go out and say that ARMA2 is the real successor.

I would say that VBS1 was the real OFP successor.

you would be wrong.

"...and if your naive enough to believe that CM wouldnt use the name that they OWN..."

Ahhh but its the term " sequel " thats at the crux.

OPF2 will (IMO) do to OPF fans what GRAW did to GR fans, make them hate them.

Plaintiff1 the only thing ignorant statement is your lack of respect no where did I say anything for or against either. Companies buy out and takeover companies all the time and buy out divisions and if your naive enough to believe that CM wouldnt use the name that they OWN your a fool.

You openly displayed ignorance at the situation, something you still do. I didn't call you stupid, so why not come down from code red there, Captain. The name is not at issue here. If you read my post (it's a good read!wink_o.gif, you would have elevated yourself from that weak, fallacious position. I'll spare you the coddling of reiterating myself but I'll leave you with a little tip. In order to not sound ignorant, you actually have to learn new things.

I think we all can help BIS by submitting this News on N4G, i already submitted the original post

Just been checking the OFP2 forums and they have a similar post up as this.

Gives a refreshing perspective from a similar but all the same different community.

Not trying to take sides, but at the moment Codemasters is appearing to be more gracefull than BIS in regards to this issue.

I have seen no retalliations from CM yet and think that they wouldn't do so by a press releases, as these are supposed to be used to showcase change/news in the company or product, not to discuss issues with competators or company disputes. wink_o.gif

Which is a bloody shame, because I think over time this will have the opposite PR impact as was obviously originally intended. Ultimatley fingers are burning or soon will be.

Link to the OFP2 forum thread is below:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337577

Griff

Intressting read are also the comments unter the article.

Some are shaped by ArmA1 and conntected it (Startup quality and so on) with ArmA2. I believe many gamers think so and that can play into the hands of Codemasters and their OFP2. sad_o.gif

That isn't good for BIS....

Just reading the interviews.  I'm impressed with the show of character, passion for the artform, the perspective on the gaming industry..  You have my respect.

Edit: As a side note, I just had massive dose of perspective as I looked across several boards at how freakily scary we, the BIS loyalists, are. Viva La Partisans!!! lol

the interview hopefully answered some of the raised questions

You openly displayed ignorance at the situation, something you still do.  I didn't call you stupid, so why not come down from code red there, Captain.  The name is not at issue here.  If you read my post (it's a good read!wink_o.gif, you would have elevated yourself from that weak, fallacious position.  I'll spare you the coddling of reiterating myself but I'll leave you with a little tip.  In order to not sound ignorant, you actually have to learn new things.

I know it's about saying what the true sequel is but you know BI had their chance with ArmA LONG before Cm decided to make a OFP. If they would have made a decent product we wouldn't be having this discussion. ArmA is a crappy second rate game and BI have only themselves to blame. The crown was theirs to wear. Crying foul now is like an NFL moving their team to another city and renaming it and the previous city decides to make a new team with the same name (Browns fans will love that one lol) and the team that moved on starts crying THEY are the real deal. I'm sorry I feel no sympathy for Bohemia.

You openly displayed ignorance at the situation, something you still do.  I didn't call you stupid, so why not come down from code red there, Captain.  The name is not at issue here.  If you read my post (it's a good read!wink_o.gif, you would have elevated yourself from that weak, fallacious position.  I'll spare you the coddling of reiterating myself but I'll leave you with a little tip.  In order to not sound ignorant, you actually have to learn new things.

I know it's about saying what the true sequel is but you know BI had their chance with ArmA LONG before Cm decided to make a OFP. If they would have made a decent product we wouldn't be having this discussion. ArmA is a crappy second rate game and BI have only themselves to blame. The crown was theirs to wear. Crying foul now is like an NFL moving their team to another city and renaming it and the previous city decides to make a new team with the same name (Browns fans will love that one lol) and the team that moved on starts crying THEY are the real deal. I'm sorry I feel no sympathy for Bohemia.

ArmA 1 is the moneymaker for ArmA 2. 2's the game we should be looking out for, BIS have not messed their chance up at all.

I know it's about saying what the true sequel is but you know BI had their chance with ArmA LONG before Cm decided to make a OFP.

Do you know how many years it's been "under development"?

I gave up on them the FIRST time they "started completly over".

ArmA 2 was actually in development before ArmA 1, so ArmA 2 is the first time they started over. Wrap your head around that!