Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Looking back when OFP was just FLASH POINT

Hello everyone!

I just read this post, thought it was interesting to show you guys a vid I've found not too long ago (I am unsure if this was posted earlier), but to cut things short, here it is:

And an old Flashpoint trailer:

Both vids were not made by me.

Personally, I was the only 10 year old in my town who fell in love with OFP (after a long afternoon in an internet cafe, playing it with adults), and the whole flavor is what it got me right at the start. A few years later (thanks to a friend of mine) I got my hands on OFP (since it wasn't selled anywhere where I live) and soon, my brother and my dad loved it too. I remember how I tried to make a mission, it were months when I finally realised I can put down empty vehicles, and add waypoints. A few years (1-2 I think) before ArmA, I got internet (yea I live in Bedrock) and I didn't stop playing online since then. Now I have OFP, OFP GOTY, ArmA, ArmAII and I still love 'em. Thanks BIS (sorry for going off-topic a little bit LOL).

The first time I heard of Flashpoint was Issue 95 of PC Gamer UK written by Kieron Gillen and hailed as "the ultimate soldier sim". I've still got the magazine right here under my desk actually, it's a nice 4 page feature and mentions how Ondrej Spanel (Marek's brother), went to Switzerland in 1985 for 5 digital watches, but instead gave in to temptation and came back with their first PC instead! Great story :)

I didn't realise it but this game predominantly has led me into my career. I dedicated years to playing OFP, running a community league, building a clan, designing our first (terrible) website, building maps, hosting servers, meeting our members even going to their weddings and meeting their families!

Now I work in the same office as PC Gamer UK, and I'm a qualified magazine designer and a web designer.

Would it all have been different if he had bought those watches?

Let's not forget http://fun.bistudio.com.

The username is a characted in OFP and the password is his nickname, i think :)

^- thats what happens when you dont read through the entire post and its replies.

I never looked for anything, I was just bored and had several gaming magz and I read about OFP, installed the demo and it was just perfect.

I didn't find OFP, it found me.

Edited by JonasRC
ignorance

We don't release the username/password publicly thank you :)

One of the 1st fansites for OFP I remember was flashpoint.ru (Still running to this day!!!!) and operationflashpoint.com.ar (Any one remember "The Veterans")

My Favorite fan site was Axleonline

AndOne! Your website was quite good as well, if memory recalls.

I do wonder what happened to "Indepence lost" (I admit it was only announced after operation flashpoint, so sligtly offtopic perhaps but it is old too). I never found a reason for cancellation or what it was exactly. Did something evolve out of it or was is it all just wasted work?

Wasnt Independance lost adopted into VBS1?

My 1st taster of ofp was form the cover disc of pc gamer, the first demo i belive, it was battlefields im sure, lasting memory was annother soldier running infront of me right into my line of fire from my m60 :)

ahh memories!

I remember going out in my lunch hour from work to buy OFP after punishing the demo until the release of the full game. I bought it and went home and didnt go back to work that day :)

The first time i saw OFP was at 4am im the morning watching some computer TV program - They showed that mission BATTLEFIELD and i was like W O W ! ! ! that looks Fing great..

next day i was playing it :)

When you think how far we have come in the last few years in terms of graphics etc its amazing to think where we will be in say ten years, personally I can't wait :D

(This thread brought back memories of recieving my ps1 and marvelling at how amazing those realistic graphics were lol)

Such nostalgia!

I have them all installed!

Back in 2001 a friend of mine gave me two "games" he had bought, he said they were to difficult and boring, those two "games" were:

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

and

IL-2 Sturmovik

He prefered games like AOE and Medal of Honor then, which I also like, and ever since we have been having LAN partys playing FPS and RTS games

But come to think about that year and that exact moment, it changed my life, those two simulators listed above have always been installed on my PC (thru different versions)

He also later introduced me to a girl, a very close friend of his, she was the best girlfriend I ever had. God bless you man!, Me and her aren't together anymore

But me and him are still in touch and attend to LAN partys to play COD4 and 5, Farcry2, Crysis, L4D, etc.

regards