Sign in to follow this  
maruk

Looking back when OFP was just FLASH POINT

BI Interview, CombatSim.com, April 2000

Really interesting to read this interview after 9 years.

(and for those saying ARMA or ARMAII is still the same graphics / engine as the original PC game, hmm, maybe check out the screenshots again and not rely on your fond memories of FLASH POINT or what was the name of that game only wink_o.gif

Sorry for posting such an old news, but I hope some may find it interesting as well. It is the oldest one I found.

How easy everything seemed to be back then: Flash Point Online anyone?

And why have we decided to give you Oxygen and Visitor? I really don't remember as I clearly stated it will not be available

biggrin_o.gif

Wow how awesome.... yes graphics have of course evolved a lot... its no secret that Arma2 looks partially even photo-realistic.

And i don't think YOU have to be sorry for posting anything here  tounge2.gif  biggrin_o.gif

BTW, because it just came into my mind...

Despite the fact that i sometimes in the past heavily complained against your Games for whatever reasons, let me just say that you guys are doing a awesome Jobs and making very good and especially long-lasting products...

When i count the 10.000 of hours of Fun playing your games since 2001, they would be worth Ten thousands of Euros.

When i think that i pay ~40€ for a visit to cinema with my life-partner (with some good seats), enjoying the movie, enjoying her when shes scared tounge2.gif , enjoying the whole thing for maye 90-120 minutes and paying that price for it AND when i then compare this to the 1000 of hours of even more fun your deliver with your games, for which i pay the same, let me just say its really outstanding/amazing/aweome/unbeliveable what you deliver and its actually a pretty damn good job.

Please never stop in making these kind of games.

EDIT: Worth to read are also there (listed in chronological order):

- http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2001/07/opflash/

- http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2002/05/opflash-r/

- http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/2002/07/opflash-res/

I'm glad Marek is an insomniac too! It's amazingly easy to forget how far things have come since OFP, isn't it?

Ahh the good old times.

Do you still have this tank infront of the company's office? smile_o.gif

a_med_05b.jpg

source: other interview from 2000 i can remeber

Even today you can buy Operation Flashpoint: Resistance for like $29.99 CAD at Fortinoes Supermarket, I guess it is a deal compared to 54.99 i payed back in the day

Edit:

a follow up to my original post

i just relized how cheap games are today compared to 10 years ago, 54.99 back then would be like 80-90 dollars today (inflation)

Even today the prices for a new game is like around 59.99, how thankful i am that game-makers have forgotten inflation.

Wow, when looking back it scare me a little, how things in the digital technology has advanced in only 9 years. If you only take the grafics they have advanced so fare.

The tank was from the AÄŒR resource?

It give an idea, like if you have planed to destroy all OPFOR game developers on the planet smile_o.gif

The tank was from the AÄŒR resource?

That tank also brings some memories back, yes (and it's me on the tank with the BI flag yay.gif It just got out of service in the ACR before the show and we had opportunity to get it there. I still remember how shocked they were at the ehibition fair entrance when I gave them list of goods for the show (it was computer hardware and sofware show only): 6 pcs computers, 6 pcs monitors, 1 T55.

Anyway, it am not looking back to OFP history without a reason so if anyone knows about any coverage of OFP prior August 2000, please share it here.

Like this gallery with some more old screenshots, note that at one stage we wanted to use title Cold War : Flash Point.

The earliest interview/preview I can remember was in a UK print magazine in maybe 1999 or 2000? It was the first time I'd heard about Flashpoint/Bohemia and was completely blown away by the premise, I believe it was the time when Flashpoint was under a different publisher as I lost track with the game for about another year before I heard anything else on it.

Ah, thems were the days. I remember the first time I ever heard of Flashpoint... 2001, PC Gamer magazine, a full page ad... Soviet troops running around an M60 (of all things crazy_o.gif ). I was instantly hooked. Happy, happy nostalgia.

Very interesting read, thank you very much.

Its always good to remember good old memories.

Quote[/b] ]However, we're not planning to enable the community to create own landscapes or models because it would require all the technology and know how we're using and it seems to be too hard to spread this to players.
And why have we decided to give you Oxygen and Visitor? I really don't remember as I clearly stated it will not be available

biggrin_o.gif

Also, im glad and i bet the hole community is glad that the tools were released. Made things more interesting.  wink_o.gif

For me FlashPoint Spirit Still Exists.. but under a different name.

Go BIS!  inlove.gif

Hehe that really brings back some memories sadly the very first german community page is long gone back in the days the admin decided to go for the upcoming BF1942 and closed the homepage sad_o.gif

But if we talk about memories where is the secret BIS fun page is it also gone? Without the briefcase its a bit hard to find.

But if we talk about memories where is the secret BIS fun page is it also gone? Without the briefcase its a bit hard to find.

Still there and still working wink_o.gif

flashpoint1985.com

swedish pc gamer around 2000-2001, I waited for a year and tried the demo and really loved the concepts in the game, really made me fight for my life when you could die so easily smile_o.gif

earlier i played games like quake and half-life and Ofp was so much different smile_o.gif

Oh okay finally found it. biggrin_o.gif

Login

lol at the BIS Server rofl.gif

serverq.jpg

FLASHPOINT - First trailer  - (21 megs, mpeg, high quality - Q2/2000)

Source

Yes thats really nice.

To see the old teasers of every weapon. biggrin_o.gif

That would be a cool addition to ArmA2.A comparison of the very early footage with the current status of the engine. Or better what about to make a trailer with an historical overview about to different stages of Real Virtuality Engine, OFP the community and ArmA up to ArmA2.

Status quo anybody?

Page1

Page2

Regards

Buggs

Wow I remember reading that, was possibly the first time I ever "met" Flashpoint, was it really 9 years ago? Crazy what has happened in that time smile_o.gif

Do you guys still have some images from the OFP grandfather called Poseidon ?  biggrin_o.gif