Sign in to follow this  
Dragon44

Importing of Other Games

Hi community!

I come studying the possibility of conversion of models 3Ds of other games that offer a great variety of models, leaving clearly that always with the authorization of the authors! Between the games that i am obtaining to matter the models are GTA: SA (that I supplied the models of cars), Flight Simulator 2004 and X (in the case of the airplanes) and i am seeing the conversion of models of Battlefield 2 (vehicles, tank and aircraft current and of the Second War) is a great advance in the edition of models!

If to interest and if moderators i here to authorize rank teaching to convert the models and to change forms to more import of other games, enriching each time the Armed Assault with addons  thumbs-up.gif

In the image below a imported model of the GTA: SA pertaining to the Brazilian Motors Team.

64322254fi4.jpg

good luck with that.

FSX has many great planes that with propper permissions would be great in Arma

I also know of other guys who have converted 'lots' of other game models.

Will any of these be released for Arma, very unlikely, but who knows maybe they will approach the content owner for permission.

Good, I go to teach as to convert cars of the GTA (VC\SA) for the ArmA.

ATTENTION: The conversion alone must be made with the authorization of the author of the model 3D. Without the authorization nor it thinks about continuing with the conversion!

continuing…. it lowers program ZMODELER_2.0.8, txdworkshop and the car that you go to convert. It opens the ZMODELER and it imports the archive .dff of the car, after that it exports to .3ds, now it opens the Oxygen2 (BI Editing Tools) and imports the archive .3ds that you finished to export for the ZMODELER, correct the rotation of the model and continue with the edition of the model 3D as any another one addon.

now you go to need the textures, open txdworkshop and through it she opens the archive .txd of the car of the GTA, exports all the textures in .bmp and converts they format .paa\.pac, this through plugin .paa for photoshop (they already are in the standards of dimension demanded by the ArmA) places in the folder of its future addon and back in the edition of the model 3d (Oxygen2) selects the model and presses E, corrects the way of the textures and ready! wall lamp the effect of illumination, LODs, config and all more and you already go to have an car of the GTA in the ArmA.

thumbs-up.gif

does anyone know the SX model to Arma?

the last i heard was you cannot convert a MDL to 3ds

In my opinion conversion is never the greatest idea. Taking something that wasnt built with ArmA engine in mind in the first place and plugging it in will give u headaches and will never produce the wonderful results in the end. Its like a game thats built for XBOX then ported to PC always plays like crap. When a modeler knows a certain way of how the engine works, he/she makes certain decisions while modeling to make life easier along the way.

In any case whatever you do u still need that skill to bring it up to par. Lets say u port a FSX model (for example you lack the skill to model ur own model), you still need skill to model the cockpit as it doesnt come in the package. This was the case with the FSX ported A319 (released not so long ago) which looked gorgeous on the outside but the cockpit looked horrendous, normals were all wrong etc. ect. U also still need to know how to downgrade LODs, make geometry etc etc.

Call me oldschool but I say things should stay were they belong smile_o.gif

In any case whatever you do u still need that skill to bring it up to par. Lets say u port a FSX model (for example you lack the skill to model ur own model), you still need skill to model the cockpit as it doesnt come in the package. This was the case with the FSX ported A319 (released not so long ago) which looked gorgeous on the outside but the cockpit looked horrendous, normals were all wrong etc. ect. U also still need to know how to downgrade LODs, make geometry etc etc.

Yes, true.

I've converted many FSX aircraft, but only released 1 for ArmA after getting permission (Piper Warrior).

As Soul Assassin says, even after you've ripped the model, there can be a huge amount of work left.

As for teaching the rest of the community to rip can convert models?

I don't recommend it, because next thing that will happen is a whole lot of (newbie) people will rip and release without permissions and the WHOLE ArmA community will come under the eye of many companies like Microsoft because its common to see ripped models. Would not be good.

I have been asked MANY times for the Microsoft FSX models I ripped and other FSX stuff ("for just me, personal use only" ), but I will NEVER release because of what it could mean for me (lawyers knocking at the door) and even the community reputation.

Yes it is truth that this must be used with much caution and the community has whenever to control addons converted, I do not want to see people using this of missed form, rank this for good addon-makers that it is community has. I think that this tool is a form to improve and to enrich our works, you converts the model of some game but you only go to have the base of its work the remain you are with you, you have addons-makers in the community that with a devotion pledged on one addon converted would make an excellent work. This is only the first step.

I search the conversion of some models of different games because always I think (ours as this he would be excellent in the ArmA) and search as to pass, forever to improve the game. And I look for through this topic to share my knowledge on this, to share these discoveries and thus to extend each time more the content of addons of the ArmA. But it is this that says, has that to be used of correct and moderate form, that they go to convert search the authorization of the real author of addon!

as long as permission are granted or for private use using models

from any source is completely fine.

of course one must take the effort involved into account.

the insane visual quality most people have is no way a requirement.

ever understood what VBS does? drop 1st LOD and not use

shaders for best performance ... get the idea  wink_o.gif

gameplay and overall quality is important.

what really counts is to satisfy your friends and your own

expectations and make yourself happy and not "the community".