Sign in to follow this  
Twiggy159

ArmA Causes Comp to Restart

Okay, I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit and once I patched the game to 1.14 it loaded fine. But after a couple of minutes of playing my computer will just turn off and restart. Just a couple of mins ago I got a blue screen followed by a reboot. I checked my CPU and GPU temps to see if they were getting toasty and their not even close to hot. My buddy is running ArmA on Vista Ultimate as well and he has no problems at all. I tried limiting the ram and using the -maxmem command and still the reboot. Is there anyone at all having a problem like this? I googled and everything no luck. This is the only game I'm having this trouble with too.

Here's a list of my specs:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

- EVGA GTX 280 Superclocked Edition

- Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Motherboard

- OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2

Please Help!

What's your power supply?What are your other games?

Okay, I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit and once I patched the game to 1.14 it loaded fine. But after a couple of minutes of playing my computer will just turn off and restart. Just a couple of mins ago I got a blue screen followed by a reboot. I checked my CPU and GPU temps to see if they were getting toasty and their not even close to hot. My buddy is running ArmA on Vista Ultimate as well and he has no problems at all. I tried limiting the ram and using the -maxmem command and still the reboot. Is there anyone at all having a problem like this? I googled and everything no luck. This is the only game I'm having this trouble with too.

Here's a list of my specs:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz

- EVGA GTX 280 Superclocked Edition

- Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Motherboard

- OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2

Please Help!

PSU maybe... but i would go with the 4gb of ram.. try default SPD timings and or bump the voltage a tad up, and or, reduce the speed down.

I have a 730W power supply. Nothing is overclocked nor are the timings changed. I've tried limiting the ram even through MSConfig but I haven't tried taking a stick out. I've been able to play more demanding games like Crysis and STALKER Clear Sky with little to no problems (Stalker and FPS Lag mostly). I wouldn't think the PSU would be a problem, and I have no idea how much watts of power my parts need to run, all I know is the 280 needs at least 500W I think. But my old computer could run ArmA at like 25 FPS no problems at all on 2 Geforce 7950s and a 375W PSU.

EDIT:

It seems that if I take out one of the RAM sticks that it doesn't make me reboot. But I'm not sure since the time that it takes for the game to reboot varies each time. I'll let you guys know if it happens again.

Try running a couple of RAM/CPU stability testing programs, such as MemTest86+ and Orthos. If either of these fail, the problem is either CPU, motherboard or RAM. It is possible for your motherboard to apply incorrect voltages and timings if left on automatic.

Run running a couple of RAM/CPU stability testing programs, such as MemTest86+ and Orthos. If either of these fail, the problem is either CPU, motherboard or RAM. It is possible for your motherboard to apply incorrect voltages and timings if left on automatic.

Well I took one stick out and it seemed to make the game last longer but after an hour or two of continuous play it finally rebooted. I'll try Orthos and let you know.

I ran Prime95 for 12 hours and nothing went wrong. So what does this mean?

Oh and I know this was asked a while ago in but the power supply is a Raidmax Hybrid RX-730SS

But here's the thing I just thought of, could it be that I'm using up too much power to run the game? I have an Antec 1200 case with 7 120mm fans running, 1 80mm CPU fan, and 2 15'' Cathodes. Could this be too much considering the GTX 280 requires about 550W?

I went through everything I bought and from what newegg.com gave me as far as voltages it seems that I take up 634W of power with the video card and lights.

I ran Prime95 for 12 hours and nothing went wrong. So what does this mean?

Oh and I know this was asked a while ago in but the power supply is a Raidmax Hybrid RX-730SS

Means you can run Prime! Good job, but has nothing to do with 3D rendering stability... Games are harder on a rig for full system stability... You will have to go the path of Vidcard drivers, Mother Board chipset drivers, Bios flash...,

But i would start with the old reinstall of ARMA and new drivers on the vid card..

Also i would say ARMA is just as demanding as Crysis and Stalker... each in there own way.. ARMA seems to have some RAM issues, or just is different than other games in usage of System RAM and 1.14 had some changes in that area.

try latest nvda drivers, and or adjust your ram vt, timming ect...

Yea same thing is happening to me, vista ultimate 64.

I7 920 CPU

6Gb Ram

GTX295

I found rolling back driver versions and disabling 1 GPU core lets me run a bit longer, but usually after an hour it dies :/

Are there any limits on the GPU's that says something like "if hotter than XX C, reboot" and if it is, is XX then adjustable?

Same for the CPU.

I think if you can run your rig for 12-24 hours with Prime95 torture test, then it only leaves you with the option that it's your GPU that has some error.

But like my first question, it may not be an error, but simply an config mistake??

Are there any limits on the GPU's that says something like "if hotter than XX C, reboot" and if it is, is XX then adjustable?

Same for the CPU.

I don't have one set for the CPU but I can't tell about the GPU. I'm using the program that came with the card (EVGA Precision) and I don't see a temp limit or anything.

@Twiggy159,

What video card drivers are you using and what error code (BSOD) is it throwing? Check those out and you might find the problem.

For me it was the nv4dll display driver causing my problem.

... I'm using the program that came with the card (EVGA Precision) and I don't see a temp limit or anything.

well you can crank up your fan with that prog, i used to do that with my 9800gx2, still try the reinstall of ARMA and the latest nvda driver.

I'm using Version: 182.06 WHQL video card drivers. I don't get an error when it crashes my entire computer restarts itself and shows no error when it happens. I'll try to reinstall the game later tonight.

So far so good on reinstalling the game, but I can't be sure yet because I haven't been playing it for more than an hour at a time. If it happens again I'll let you guys know.

@Twiggy159,

What video card drivers are you using and what error code (BSOD) is it throwing? Check those out and you might find the problem.

For me it was the nv4dll display driver causing my problem.

I'm getting BSOD after playing for a bit and Vista is telling me it has to do with the Nvidia drivers. The BSOD itself lists some kind of nv file, didn't get the whole name just noticed "nv" in the beginning of the file name.

Is there a way to fix that?

Edit: I'm using driving 182.06 in Vista 64. New driving are out from Nvidia, 182.08. Going to give them a try.

Ok just in case the OP had this problem I seemed to have fixed it by uninstalling the old Nvidia display drivers, afterward restarting into safe mode and running the driver cleaner from Guru3d (link at the bottom) then installing the latest Nvidia drivers, 182.08.

Was able to play for an hour or so and not blue screen. Hope that helps.

Driver Sweeper: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Driver-....ownload