Sign in to follow this  
beton

Omaha Beach

Hm...

i dont think my map is out of scale, the area featured on the map is 10 by 10 Km. At least not 30%. Just checked it again. smile_o.gif

The heightinformation which is available has a grid of like 100m if you are lucky... so the rest is kind of hypothetical. According to the map i used, the distance between low low water and the highwater is around 500 metres. At les moulins its nearly 650m depending on wind and so on.

Klick here:

http://omahabeach.vierville.free.fr/6juin44....4_2.jpg

My approach was to model the map with low low water because the allies wanted to use the lowest water possible to land (thats why d-day took place at june 6th) for not having to cross the obstacles with their landingcraft... at least for the first waves. Pioneers were planned to destroy the obstacles to make a path for the next waves coming in with the rising tide.

But as we all know we are bound to the limitations of Visitor and Bulldozer (only 1 metersteps when editing height sucks). And i dont have the time and patience to edit 3,5 sqkm of beach with a 5x5m grid by hand wink_o.gif

So i think by the time the map will improve and then ported over to arma 2...

for now i hope ppl can enjoy the map as it is and developes.. smile_o.gif

.. i havent had the time to play arma for the last three months because of getting addicted to editing...

have fun smile_o.gif

I checked the distances from some of the buildings in vierville to buildings next to the beach on both your arma map and historical map.

but i know making proper scale in visitor could be a bitch. so dont worry, your maps is great work whatsoever. and it is almost impossible to correct that without reworking your map completly.

i checked the height of tide for you. it is 1 m high. waves looks ugly as hell on flat beach.

Well...

The buildings on my map are not all at the original places... as well as they dont look like the original ones. I have oriented at the original maps but i also used googlemaps and there is the problem of optical distortion which is not found on the maps. If you want to merge those two things you wont come around making a compromise. As you can see here:

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums....tor.jpg

this leads to roads and other things not beeing always at the correct place. Otherwise i would have to paint the whole map by hand which would have led to incorrect results because of lacking maps for some regions. Especially as the landscape has changed over the years. If you compare old maps and the omaha coastline today you will see there are big differences.

About the water i still think that the difference in height between heightide and lowtide is about 19 feet which is nearly 6.5 meters. The tide is not only influenced by the geographical position but much more by geological formations and this cant be simulated by Arma.

If you take a look at this pic you will see:

-that the tide is much more than 1 meter

-that the beach at lowwater at 530 a.m.( which is one meter above Lowlowwater) has a width between 315 and 515 meters.

http://omahabeach.vierville.free.fr/6juin44....944.jpg

The waves reported at d-day where about 2 meters, thats one reason why nearly all (27) of the sherman tanks drowned before hitting the coast. So all in all im quite pleased with my result so far smile_o.gif

By the way... its nice to here you are working on a map too... looking forward to see some pics... and maybe get some inspiration. Without the community i wouldn`t have made 1% of the way...

have fun smile_o.gif

as i want to simulate the intense and hard landing, like in saving private ryan, i will take the high tide beach now.

also, if you want to improve your map i found following:

(already half a year ago, as i started my 1st attempt of this mission on a beach at syr darain^^)

omaha1va9.gif

omaha2jf7.jpg

Hi KrAziKilla...

nice to hear...are you gonna publish the mission? I´d really like to play my map to be honest wink_o.gif

If your ai has too much problems going through the obstacles, let me know and maybe there is a possibility to delete some objects in some places for the sake of playability...

yes i gonna publish it, but need bit more time.

just doin research and testing the landing of my brave soldiers.

next i have to set german artillery and MG points.

also infantry

planes, maybe?

When I did the Omaha Beach section of the Normandy map, IT took 3 months of research trying to figure out where to place all the trenches, beach obstacles, wire, buildings, bunkers, tank traps, etc,etc. Plus the tide too! I felt like pulling out my hair! It's not a perfect science. The Germans did a lot of demolition prior to the invasion. Not much was left after they got a hold of it. I've seen literally thousands of photographs - a lot of the same ones, including the tide table and beach diagrams shown in this thread. So I feel for beton. He has done a great job! I will feature his map as part of the mod.

btw, anyone of you knows a static MG42?

cannot find it.

btw. i just tryed the HT version. and now its too high^^

is there any way to do the middle way of HT and LT?

with timesettings in arma i just get 3-5meter more beach.

Hm..

for the mg42 there is a empty MG42/59 on a tripod somewhere inside the vilas WW2. Its in the "empty" folder.

about the waterline... where exactly do you want it to be? Changing it might be a little bit of work unless i find a fast way. So try to describe where the waterline should be... as long as noone else has suggestions or whishes im quite flexible its still beta.. it depends on the missionmakers.

this mg needs to be modified cos it is shooting only single shots at long range. To achieve proper speed I needed to change weapon type for that static class in config.cpp, and change speeds of shooting at different distances for that weapon class. And give them a lot of magazines. with four magazines it took only 2-3 minutes for MG to stop shooting. I still need to figure out how to make ammo bearers working. and stop them to eject from MGs like in a plane and.... it looks funny when they sits at low tripod MG in mid air as to shoot from bunkers they have to be set up higher.

making omaha landing mission is a LOT of tweaking. banghead.gif

Hi all...

after some weeks of quietness ive been playing around with my map again and tried to create some more objects. There might be a new betaversion out in the next few days if im not too lazy and everything goes well.

Until then some new wip Pictures flooding...:)

have fun

th_omaha_ht_12m.jpg

th_omaha_ht_12.jpg

th_omaha_ht_12a.jpg

th_omaha_ht_12b.jpg

more here

http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo309/Betonbob/Omaha%20B12/

Hi Beton,

great island. I am looking forward to your next release! :)

Just in case this has not been mentioned before:

I got the impression that the latest version of your Omaha beach seemed to mess up the grass clutter of the other islands.

Best regards

A.

Well...

As i have been playing around with the map and building more and more objects i thought its time to release a new version of my omahabeach map and my customobjects. I have changed many things on the map, added and deleted objects. All in all there are more Bunkers and objects available now.

Villages were added and changed in some way. I hope you are going to have fun with the map and enjoy it. I also hope that some missionmakers will release missions for the people like me who don´t know how to make the missions.

This map is still made for Arma, still not finished and im going to release a final version for Arma of course.

It is also playable in Arma2 (refer to caa1 on developers heaven) and will be ported to Arma2 but yet there are still some issues.

Some of the addons needed for the map don´t seem to work properly in Arma2. There is also a different collisiongeometry for the Playermodel, so some buildings are too small to enter. And of course there doesnt seem to be any WW2 content released for Arma2..

Anyway..its a lifetime project and i have fun with it

frontpage updatet

.. for the ones interested.

th_omahabeach14b.jpg

th_omahabeach14c.jpg

th_omahabeach14f.jpg

Thanks for frontpaging and adding mirrors...