Sign in to follow this  
beton

Omaha Beach

Hi Folks,

i´m happy to anounce the first Betarelease of my Omaha-Beach Map. I have been working on it for quite a while and i´m now at the point to release it to the public for testing before finishing it.

The map features the Omahabeach area at D-Day morning and should suit well for WWII scenarios. It is based on historical maps, google earth and of course a little bit of imagination. In the NE you will find a small island which should not be there but is supposed to be the base for invasion even if it might be a little far away(the boats are too slow ;o). There is also space for a small airport but that is not included yet.

You can find Villages, a working but not finished roadnet and a landscape inspired by the Normandy. An airport is still to come.. i´m open to suggestions where to place it.

p><p><a  href=http://i386.photobucket.com/albums....MG]

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums....MG]

As i really like Warfare i would like to encourage Missionmakers to also make a warfaremission for this map but that is up to you of course.

The strongpoints (Widerstandsnester) are not implemented yet because i dont have models that would do for that right now. Maybe ill find some time and the skills to help myself.

Rip31st was so kind to let me use some models from the 31st Normandy Mod and i want to thank Opteryx for letting me use his wheat which will be implemented in a later version.I also want to thank mapfact for releasing rocks where you can walk on.

I also want to thank the community for answering questions and making tutorials etc. which helped me doing this map.

If i forgot anything or anyone ...tell me plz.

Along with the map you need to download my objects-pack. It consists mostly of retextured Bis-objects and some objects i made from scratch according to my limited abilities. The pack cotains some walls, Hoeckerlinien and other Obstacles and objects i made for my map .You may use these objects on your own maps and missions if you want.

UPDATE version 1.4:

This map is still made for Arma, still not finished and im going to release a final version for Arma.

It is also playable in Arma2 and will be ported to Arma2 but yet there are still some issues.

Some of the addons needed for the map don´t seem to work properly in Arma2. There is also a different collisiongeometry for the Playermodel, so some buildings are too small to enter. And of course there doesnt seem to be any WW2 content released for Arma2..

Link to the map: Omahabeach1.4

http://www.filehosting.at/file/details/47814/Omaha_beach_1.4.rar

Addons needed:

31st Normandy-mod

map_EU by mapfact

MB_hemp by mikebart

Bet_objects 1.4 by me

Link:

http://www.filehosting.at/file/details/47807/betons_objects_1.4.rar

have fun...

Mirrors are appreciated

Well..

have fun then

http://forums.bistudio.com/oldsmileys/biggrin_o.gif' alt='biggrin_o.gif'> whistle.gif

Edited by Beton
update

Nice pictures, but where is the beach ? tounge2.gif

Downloading now.

Great stuff! Congratulations on the first public beta! smile_o.gif

EDIT: The first thing I noticed was that there's a strange clogging sound where ever you run. I think it's the sound of walking on wood or on some asphalt road but now you hear it even on the grass..

hey mate love the map could you do a another version just for the water to be more near the log spikes because the mgs dont engage until im at the first log spikes. this will give an option 2 maps for players to use. i also love to land near the log spikes and then the mgs enage me. pleassse this will make me more happy and maybe others.

tomolyons you'll find a handy "edit" button above each of your posts smile_o.gif

hey mate love the map could you do a another version just for the water to be more near the log spikes because the mgs dont engage until im at the first log spikes. this will give an option 2 maps for players to use. i also love to land near the log spikes and then the mgs enage me. pleassse this will make me more happy and maybe others.

well.. that should be possible. The only problem is, that if i raise the waterlevel the waves may apear everywhere at the beach. Ill do that in the next days and people may decide which solution they like better...

thx beton ive never done map editing but cant you move the water level forward instead of raise it??. also i think then they invaded you did get the odd water puddles on the beach and if you raise it should look similar mate.

Great stuff! Congratulations on the first public beta! smile_o.gif

EDIT: The first thing I noticed was that there's a strange clogging sound where ever you run. I think it's the sound of walking on wood or on some asphalt road but now you hear it even on the grass..

Hi MK1,

Thanks for the feedback. I have really no idea where the strange sounds come from.

So if anyone has a solution... confused_o.gif

also beton when you said you'd have to raise the water level if it does'nt look good why not cut the beach so the beach starts from the log spikes?? that would be better if the raising thing dont look right  biggrin_o.gif

When I first launched the map in MP (non-dedicated machine) with some other mods, namely 31stWWII, ACE, QG, and a couple others - the whole shibang locked my computer right up. When I have more time I'll try to post back.

great map. you did a good research for that man smile_o.gif

just creating a sector dog_green map for it.

but is it true that they attacked at low tide?

the beach seems so far, (as it is) - but for example in saving private ryan, its not half as far from the boats to the bunkers.

who is right?

another question:

how can i increase the distance which my crouching MG42 gunners in the bunkers can shoot?

i want them to shoot at my approachin boats, or at least in the moment the ramps open but they shoot about 100m less sad_o.gif

with a static DKHSM for example its working.

UPDATE...

according to requests from Tomolyons i made a second edition of the Omahabeach map called Bet_Omaha_ht for high tide.

For the next days i plan to work on this map and afterwards bring the objects over to the Low water map. So for the future there will be two maps to play on.

Meanwhile i fixed the error with the strange sound like walking on wood. Clutter seems to work on most parts of the map. And some new objects and buildings and retextured Bis-buildings have been added.

Airports will be added soon...

AI paths still dont work on objects...why?

I still have issues writing a proper config for my objects as im a real noob when it comes to scripting. If there is anyone who can give me a kind of a sampleconfig with explanations in it which is understandable for noobs i would be really happy.

If any missionmakers out there have suggestions of things or changes needed.. just tell me

omaha_ht_b02h_kl.jpg

omaha_ht_b02j_kl.jpg

omaha_ht_b02k_kl.jpg

More images here:

http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo309/Betonbob/omaha%20HT%20B11/

Download:

Bet Omaha_ht_beta_1.1

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1484753/omaha_ht_b1.1.rar.html

Bet_objects_Beta_1.1

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1484752/bet_objects1.1.rar.html

have fun...

What objects are in the object pack? Just curious cause I'm gonna wait to DL the map until a later date but I'm always interested in more objects for the missions I'm working on.

Just want to say thank you for a wonderful map smile_o.gif

v1.1 is a great improvement especialy the groundclutter, the long grass on 1.0 made it almost impossible to see in some parts.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Although the long grass (in 1.0) is obstruptive it felt like Reed grass found on beaches, you could place some (just a little) just above the beach where sand meets grass.

2. Is there some way you can make the bunkers visible on the map? would make it much easier to place gunners in them in the editor.

Again, wonderful job on this map thumbs-up.gif

hello there

I really enjoy your map, i was trying to create the exact same terrain from the same maps for OFP long time ago. It is nice to see someone is trying to make it finally.

but let's get to the point. I don't think you need to make two maps for low and high tides, as arma supports tides! And those are dependent on longiude, date and time of the day.

I'm in progres on my normandy map (Utah beach and airborne landing terrain.) and after some tweaking with height I was able to create convincing tide just setting real longitudes, date and time and tweaking elevation. The elevation difference beetween low and high tide line can't be too big, as ArmA tides are 1-2 meters high. (but it wasnt big in reality either). just dont give up on that as it really matters when recreating different waves of US attacks. I am assure you it is possible.

hey beton thanks man that is like the best!!! i hope everyone else likes it to man cos i do!!! notworthy.gifyay.gifbiggrin_o.gifrofl.gif

Well...

@ janosgolya

concernig the tides. I dont think that there will be a real tidal change on this map as arma only support 1 or 2 meters as you said. On omaha beach we have a tidal change of roundabout 19 feet (6 meters) on june 6th. If i wanted to have the tide flooding the whole beach and leave it dry again i would have to make the whole beach nearly flat. This would result in waves running over the whole beach (nearly 500 metres at lowtide) i dont think that this would be an improvement. Maybe arma 2 will give me more possibilities.

How can i change the geographical logitude of the map?

@Manzilla

you can find pictures of my objects here:

http://s386.photobucket.com/albums/oo309/Betonbob/Bet_objects/

but beware its still beta and not as perfect as some other addons around...

@Odjob

Yea i liked the high grass too... it would add much atmosphere in pvp but if you fight against ai they have the advantage of being able to look trough the clutter. There are definetely going to be some changes. At the moment clutter is bound to the texturemap but as far as i know in arma 2 we will be able to define clutter with another mask which means we can have much more diversity of clutter on the same groundtexture.

The visibility of my objects comes from a bug in the config. As i said im no good at writing configs(just reading other configs and modifiyng them at my best knowledge) and change and add models all few days. As soon as i made some new objects ill try to fix that. Next release wont be too long away

have fun

little mistake in my previous post - i am working on Utah beach not omaha, already corected.

back to the point.

the waves are a problem as you said. hadnt figured out what to do with them. I noticed that using bad weather gives slightly better effect tough. but it is still a real tide. i hope Arma II will fix that. i will try to measure how high is the tide for you.

longitudes are in the config file.

ah one more thing. if you care about it at all, i noticed that your map is slightly off scale, 30% bigger then orginal terrain. the beach should be around 300m according to the historical maps, that scale bug makes yours 500m. I am anough crazy that I checked your map against historical biggrin_o.gif so dont listen to that if you dont care about mental historical disease of mine smile_o.gif