Sign in to follow this  
GrossKopf

Vista and ArmA 2

I never played ArmA, so I decided I'd download the demo to see how I like it. I've got Vista 64 and 4 GB of memory. For those that don't know, that's a bad combination that causes a black loading screen when you start the demo and you can't do anything.

The typical solution is to disable 1 GB of RAM with a Vista setting and then rebooting. This is too much for for a demo.

My question is this: Has this problem been fixed with ArmA 2? I really don't want to buy a game just to find out I have to disable 25% of my RAM to play the damn thing.

The typical solution is to run the game windowed wink_o.gif

But yeah, I believe ArmA2 will run better on Vista then 1.

After all Vista wasn't even out at the time the game was released.

The typical solution is to run the game windowed wink_o.gif

But yeah, I believe ArmA2 will run better on Vista then 1.

After all Vista wasn't even out at the time the game was released.

It seems -windowed doesn't work on the demo...

I'd really like to see some sort of confirmation from a dev saying it's been fixed. I've been burned by too many new FPS's lately...

I never played ArmA, so I decided I'd download the demo to see how I like it. I've got Vista 64 and 4 GB of memory. For those that don't know, that's a bad combination that causes a black loading screen when you start the demo and you can't do anything.

The typical solution is to disable 1 GB of RAM with a Vista setting and then rebooting. This is too much for for a demo.

My question is this: Has this problem been fixed with ArmA 2? I really don't want to buy a game just to find out I have to disable 25% of my RAM to play the damn thing.

Well first thing, its a demo and when it was made, vista was not even out yet. The real game, once its patched has no issues with vista 64bit. I have 64bit with 4 gigs of RAM and it runs great. Im almost 100% sure Arma II will work with 64bit vista.

Quote[/b] ]-windowed

it's -window wink_o.gif

I believe it works in demo ; but for sure, a software like that shouldn't have arrived in same time than this other software... Vista should never have arrived on your computer ! tounge2.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I guess, believe, assume, pray that Arma 2 will handle Vista very well. Wait for Seven, or goto "XP" wink_o.gif

there was bug with VIsta and 64b and lot of memory fixed in 1.15b

also there were some bugs in AMD.ATI drivers fixed in past months ...

Considering (according to the editors at Cnet) Windows7 might be out in November of this year, way before Windows says so. So if they are an operating system behind, we've got problems.

Microsoft has been preaching up and down about how windows 7 is built on the same tech as vista, and that there should be minimal compatibility problems. Here's to hoping!

Just for the record I've been playing ArmA on Win7 Beta and had no problems at all with it.

Hell, to tell the truth it ran even better than on XP!

Especially the ALT+TAB times are sweet.

omg how do you guys dare to run them beta test windows stuff?  crazy_o.gif

Consider me crazy if you wish, but IMO Windows 7 Beta is far superior to Vista and seems to even run better then XP.

That comes from a guy who dislikes most Microsoft's products.

Maybe you should try it before you start bashing it?

Consider me crazy if you wish, but IMO Windows 7 Beta is far superior to Vista and seems to even run better then XP.

My Brother runs 7 and he has nothing but good words for it, he also dislikes microsoft lol smile_o.gif

Yeah i am also running Windows 7 64bit and ArmA is working like charm. Had some minor problems on Vista 32bit but with 7 now they are all gone. thumbs-up.gif

I run also ArmA in Windows 7 beta. I can confirm huge performance boost over XP. I have much more fps in 7 than XP and harddrive performance feels much better. My computer is E6600 2gb 1950 pro. Also there is huge fps boost over XP in Eve online, about 20-30%. I think Vista is public beta and windows 7 is patch.

Vista and Win7 should play ArmA2 a bit better than XP since they handle multi core better. This is at least reality in some games/sims ive tested so far.

A friend have triple boot. XP, VISTA, Win7 and multi core progs ran better on Vista over XP, but even better on Win7 over Vista. More FPS that is.

Double boot with XP and Vista or Win7 beta should be best to test ArmA2 when it comes out and see where it gives best performance.

Regards

Alex

I installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive last night, still getting used to it as I never used Vista for more than 10 mins total (XP64 is my preference), some stuff in Win7 seems nice, other things I'm googling to see how I return to the XP look (for example start menu!wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

If the discussion is going to continue to be about Windows 7 then this thread in OT would be the best place smile_o.gif

I installed Windows 7 on a spare hard drive last night, still getting used to it as I never used Vista for more than 10 mins total (XP64 is my preference), some stuff in Win7 seems nice, other things I'm googling to see how I return to the XP look (for example start menu!wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

If the discussion is going to continue to be about Windows 7 then this thread in OT would be the best place smile_o.gif

As the OP, I agree. I hate when people take my posts off topic.

there was bug with VIsta and 64b and lot of memory fixed in 1.15b

also there were some bugs in AMD.ATI drivers fixed in past months ...

Sorry know this is a bit old now, but that 1.15 did not fix my issue with vista. I have vista 64bit, and 8gb of RAM, but i still have to disable down to 3 or 4 gb of ram to make arma work (not working = dreaded black screen). Just wondering if this was the same for all vista users or just me.

Reagrds Jeza

Vista64bit

ati 4870x2

8gb ram

What about XP/Vista 64 bit support? Will there be a 64-bit executable?

Ohh Yes i really hope so that 64Bit will have some advantages....

7== Vista ! wink_o.gif 7 is OS with sp3 and new aero interface ! it a joke biggrin_o.gif

to sell more vista under new name "7" is huge

Vista is good OS I never got probléme with bis Game ! wink_o.gif

I can't say any about my lcd screen was down confused_o.gif

7== Vista !  wink_o.gif   7 is OS with sp3 and new aero interface ! it a joke  biggrin_o.gif

to sell more vista under new name "7" is huge

Vista is good OS I never got probléme with bis Game ! wink_o.gif

I can't say any about my lcd screen was down  confused_o.gif

Ha, you seen it also?

I tried W7 on a separate single hd...... now I know, if I were to format my raid after 2 yrs, Vista sp3 is just as fast as W7.

Their changing the eye candy, is all I seen. pfft

Can a moderator close this topic? It's gone way off from the original topic, which was never answered conclusively.

I think they said a while ago that multithreaded was confirmed but 64bit architecture was not.