Sign in to follow this  
Brendon

Why can we not post images over 100KB?

I don't understand. We don't live in the age of Dial-up anymore, and images will be taken down even if they're slightly over. My image was taken down because it was 1.34 KB's over the limit!

Quoting Placebo (lead moderator):

Quote[/b] ]Not going to happen. Just because someone has broadband doesn't mean that surfing these forums is fast, for example here in Singapore I have 12mb cable, local websites are blisteringly fast yet websites in North America are much, much slower, having broadband in itself is essentially meaningless to the debate.

If someone wants to post a large picture they can easily create a 100kb clickable thumbnail, or as some are doing they can use their 6x100kb allowance to make a split image, personally I don't have a problem with that if people are so anally obsessed with showing their images in such quality they want to waste their time splitting it into multiple parts, uploading and hotlinking smile_o.gif

I don't agree with it either, making 6 connections of 100kb takes up more bandwidth and processing power than 1 of 600kb, but hey it's their forum.

You should use the ask a moderator thread above. Now that you've read one rule, why not read them all?

I don't understand. We don't live in the age of Dial-up anymore, and images will be taken down even if they're slightly over. My image was taken down because it was 1.34 KB's over the limit!

What I don't understand is why the rules of good bandwidth behavior should be discarded just because people have more bandwidth now. (What about monthly cap though?)

It is ridiculous. The whole admin team must be sitting in a Afghani cave with satellite link-ups, or something in that regard tounge2.gif

At least when the new forum arrives, we will be able to use thumbnails from a wide selection of image hosters.

Yes, I believe the limit could be raised.

Perhaps to 300kB?

You get pictures with high resolution with reasonable compression.

Raising the cap to 200-300kb wouldn't be much of a difference bandwith wise, but would make a great difference in quality.

How about a poll on the subject?

I think it should maybe be raised to 200KB. Bit I don't agree with removing it, IMO it's stupid to post huge pictures on a forum.

Not everyone is out of the "age of Dial-up". And some people can't get anything better than satellite connections due to their location.

Not to mention monthly caps, people shouldn't have their limited bandwidth wasted by pictures that they don't want to see in ultra high resolution.

And I don't appreciate having to wait longer for a forum page to load because some dumbass decided to post some 1MB barely compressed pictures  whistle.gif

There's a big difference between someones post getting removed because of posting uncompressed 1MB pictures, and getting in trouble for posting an image that happens to be 1.5KB over the limit. The last part is just bullcrap, even with limits, there should be reasonable exceptions.

...and getting in trouble for posting an image that happens to be 1.5KB over the limit.

They don't get in trouble, the post just gets edited and they get told about it. Unless maybe it's in the photography section, they might get a WL+1.

It's really not hard to keep the picture below the limit.

Sorry guys, but

- the rest of the world doesn't have super-fast broadband ffs, or unlimited DL either ...

- think about 15 posts x 2 pics each x just 500kb - thats 15MB everytime you load a full thread page !!

GET SMARTER!

Use 1 of the many freely available graphics tools that allow you optimize large pics into good quality jpgs etc

Have a look back through the thread, theres some VERY impressive shots there, under 100kb.

Or use the Thumbnail / External web site method. A good alternative.

This rule has been around for awhile and like Gnat said there are still enough people with slow connections and/or download limits.

Best option if you want to post a high-quality image is to link it or even make a clickable thumbnail which is automatically generated by most picture hosting sites.

Closing..  lock.gif