Sign in to follow this  
eble

OH-58 Kiowa Warrior

OH-58 Kiowa Warrior - Flashpoint to Arma conversion by Southy.

Original BIS model from flashpoint.

OH-58 Kiowa is a family of single-engine, single-rotor, military helicopters used for observation, utility,

and direct fire support. Bell Helicopter originally manufactured the OH-58 for the United States Army, based on the

206A JetRanger helicopter. The Kiowa has been in continuous use by the U.S. Army since 1969. The latest model,

the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior, is primarily operated in an armed reconnaissance role in support of ground troops.

don't forget visit youtube to view HD version

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" WIDTH=450 HEIGHT=332><PARAM NAME=MOVIE VALUE=http://www.armedassault.eu/Television/BISvideo.swf?vquality=hq&youtubeID1=s-c84fwPJcI&linkID1=http://au.youtube.com/user/eblevinda/&youtubeID2=mXmUer8uZDs&linkID2=&youtubeID3=Xa_mWynfTIY&linkID3=&youtubeID4=TS_5TXoSKsA&linkID4=&><PARAM NAME=PLAY VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=LOOP VALUE=TRUE><PARAM NAME=QUALITY VALUE=HIGH><EMBED SRC=http://www.armedassault.eu/Television/BISvideo.swf?vquality=hq&youtubeID1=s-c84fwPJcI&linkID1=http://au.youtube.com/user/eblevinda/&youtubeID2=mXmUer8uZDs&linkID2=&youtubeID3=Xa_mWynfTIY&linkID3=&youtubeID4=TS_5TXoSKsA&linkID4=& WIDTH=450 HEIGHT=332 PLAY=TRUE LOOP=TRUE QUALITY=HIGH></EMBED></OBJECT>

kiowanew.jpg

kiowanew2.jpg

kiowanew3.jpg

Current weapon systems fitted are:

All versions have the Mast Mounted Sight, operated by the gunner, primary use is for laser designation/spotting.

Zoom is approx 1.5 longer than cobra.

Addon features

normal/Spec maps for textures.

Mast mounted sight, arma engine, no scripts

no scripts used in the addon

hellfires/rack taken from cobra  cut in half.

Ah6 machine gun used in place of correct .50 cal weapon model

UH60 main and small rotor used and reshaped/resized to fit.

Revised and more balanced flight model.

Basic shadows by wld427 from project RACS

new textures by eddyD who built upon the great textures from vektorboson.

Rotor sounds thanx to SGT_SAVAGE

Weapon loadouts:

2 x Hellfire, 1 x XM296 .50 Cal. (12.7-mm) machine gun

2 x hellfire, 7 rnds FFAR

7 rnds FFAR, 1 x XM296 .50 Cal. (12.7-mm) machine gun

7 rnds FFAR, 7 rnds FFAR

2 x Hellfire, 2 x Stingers.

Basics:

1. Copilot/gunner can lase and shoot hellfire.  (yes)

2. Pilot can shoot .50/rocks. (yes)

3. Copilot/gunner can lase for other aircraft/weapon systems. (yes)

The version that has 2 x hellfire, 1 x .50 cal can self lase hellfires, meaning it can target objects at will, be it houses/structures etc as well as the normal targets.

The other versions, can lase for any third party vehicle, be it the AV8 GBU harriers or any other addon that has laser lock weapons.

The hellfires can lock onto laser targets so ground units can lase for all the Kiowas carrying hellfires.

Special notes: hellfires can laser lock so two Kiowa's working in pink teams can fire Hellfires at fixed targets

like buidlings etc. The first version, 2 x hellfire, 1 x M296 can self lock laser hellfires, first select the laser

and ping the target, second use guns to lock target, second select hellfire and fire away,

this is the only version that can self lock the hellfires. (takes practice to do this)I found this works as the gunner, not been able to get this to work as a pilot.

Known issues  - important:

Now things I'm aware off, the gun is lifted straight from the Ah6, so it works fine, but doesn't look 100% like a Kiowa's 50.cal gun does.

Cockpit textures need a total overhaul.

Rotors are lifted from the UH-60 and resized to the Kiowa.

The Eyball isn't the correct shape.

The FFAR version fires the last two rockets from the right hand side (arma engine coded?) Hellfire side.

The Stinger version, fires the missiles from the hellfire side.

Damage textures to be implemented.

When in the turret view the gunner can use the cannon like the Cobra except it can fire in 360 degrees

(AI gunners will also use the 50.cal gun like a normal turret weapon)

I'm looking for help in the following areas:

I need a fix for the gunner being able to fire the gun  following the eyeball line of sight, I need the gun fixed forward.

Base class:

Kiowa - FFAR/Hellfires

OH58b - Hellfire/50.Cal

OH58c - FFAR/50. Cal

OH58d - FFAR

OH58e - Hellfires/Stingers

Special thanks to eddyD who built upon the great textures from vektorboson.

And thanks to wld427 from project RACS for fault finding many times.

Right time to open myself up to my monthly community abuse session.

This addon is far from perfect, but it brings the Kiowa to Arma.

The MLOD are available on request as I have used BIS models etc I have to make them available to all.

Most of all I hope people have fun with this addon, I will be updating as I go along, but the best testers are you guys.

Cheers

Southy

Beta v2.5

Changed the minigun model for the M2 .50 cal

reduced the engine noise level, should stop the engine distortion.

Beta V2.0  - 08/03/09

Changelog:

Cockpit textures now look correct

all cockpit dials/guages work as intended

machine gun power reduced

Machine gun rate of fire and sound altered.

It's only a small change but I thought it was important to get the revised cockpit out as soon as possible.

download beta v2.5 here 08/03/09

Kiowa Beta v2.5

Long awaited, highly anticipated. I am trying this right now, thanks Southy!!!

Edit #1:

The flight model is fantastic - you've really outdone yourself on this one Southy! Not that I consider myself a pilot in the least, but I can put this beauty down on a rooftop (for testing purposes only). Man, if you ever get a chance to alter the BI default flight models/characteristics.

There are minor issues, as I am sure you aware.

-Some areas of cockpit are transparent (left/right sides)

-No damage textures for fuselage.

-Main rotor sound: sounds distorted at times.

-Cockpit guages still a wip(?)

Fantastic work!

notworthy.gif

Oops I just cr@#ped my pants.(As in the old SNL skit.)

Thanks southy! I'm pumped to give this a whirl.

Long awaited, highly anticipated. I am trying this right now, thanks Southy!!!

Edit #1:

The flight model is fantastic - you've really outdone yourself on this one Southy! Not that I consider myself a pilot in the least, but I can put this beauty down on a rooftop (for testing purposes only). Man, if you ever get a chance to alter the BI default flight models/characteristics.

There are minor issues, as I am sure you aware.

-Some areas of cockpit are transparent (left/right sides)

-No damage textures for fuselage.

-Cockpit guages still a wip(?)

Fantastic work!

notworthy.gif

Thanks mate, if anything I'm happiest about the 'balance' of the flight model.

Too many times I've struggled to get a helo to land exactly where I wanted it to, not anymore with this one  smile_o.gif

Yeah I'm aware this addon has some real problems that need fixing.

Lets keep reporting stuff you guys find, gives me a list of fixes to be made.

Cockpit and damage textures are very mucn WIP, cockpit texture need some real work and damage textures are missing altogether.

Southy

PS don't forget as this addon has to be open source because it's basically BIS models, if you can fix something, ask me the MLOD and files and fix it, simple as that.

cool chopper man and one that was sorely missed for a long time. I get an error (No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/Default.sections'.)  when i start a mission trying to use these. This was tried using ACE aswell as not using ACE or any other mods, still the same thing.

Updating base class MGun->, by oh58\config.bin/cfgWeapons/M134/

Updating base class ->MGun, by ca\hotfix\config.bin/CfgWeapons/M134/

Updating base class SoldierEB->SoldierE, by ca\hotfix\qg\config.bin/CfgVehicles/SoldierPTeamLeader/

Warning: no idc entry inside class RscDisplayStart/controls/Progress2

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58c.p3d missing driver get in direction point

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58c.p3d missing codriver get in direction point

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/OH58c/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret body sensors_turret not found while initializing the model oh58\oh58c.p3d

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58c.p3d missing gunner get in direction point

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/Default.sections'.

Warning Message: Size: '/' not an array

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/Default.sectionsInherit'.

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/Default.sections'.

Warning Message: Size: '/' not an array

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/Default.sectionsInherit'.

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Empty word in sentence '' 'xmit'

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58e.p3d missing driver get in direction point

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58e.p3d missing codriver get in direction point

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/OH58e/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret body sensors_turret not found while initializing the model oh58\oh58e.p3d

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58e.p3d missing gunner get in direction point

From my ArmA.rpt file if that helps any. Oh and for some reason i cant fire the laser Designator either, the rest of the weapons are fine though. This is a great start and hope to see this maybe even donated to the ACE Mod? Keep up the great work

Hmm I didn't test it in game before I sent it to Southy, Its clipping a bit just need to back it off (drop volume) then it should be ok, I'll have another look at it and fix if southy releases an updated version

Hmm I didn't test it in game before I sent it to Southy, Its clipping a bit just need to back it off (drop volume) then it should be ok, I'll have another look at it and fix if southy releases an updated version

Yeah sure mate, just taking stock of what people find etc, once we get a good list going then, I can start to clean these up for the next version.

Southy

This is definitely a helicopter that WAS REALLY NEEDED!!!  It has seen a tremendous amount of combat in Iraq and is perfect for hunter/killer missions or emergency air support missions.  

Ok...so far I've only tested the XEH version.  What I'm confused is why there are two versions.  Shouldn't the XEH version work fine by itself also???

At any rate, I did not get any errors flying the helicopter or in the gunner position.  I also put the helicopter into combat against my Taliban (with me playing one of the Taliban guys) and likewise did not see any error messages.

On the issue of the rotor sound, I did not hear any significant distortion.  They sounded pretty much how I remembered the Kiowa's sounding like in real life.  

My only BIG BIG beef with this helicopter is that the MG turns 380 degrees.  Please figure out how to lock the MG in a forward position.  I really hope that this is possible. Maybe I'll have a look at the config and see if I can figure something out.  

Let me know if I can help you on that.

Oh also, when you look straight down through the ball-mounted FLIR you can see through the roof of the helicopter and the gunner has no head.  lol.  So you might limit how far the FLIR/laser can move up and down just a little bit.

Aside from that, the only other problem I had was that the helicopter is tremendously armored (more then the BIS AH-1).  Since its so lightly armed, I guess its not a big deal, plus in real life, they stay in the air quite a bit longer then in ArmA (that goes for all helicopters in general).

But armor levels are up to you guys to decide.  Overall I find it a lovely little helicopter and I really hope that the MG can be locked into a forward position.  

I'm looking forward to the next version of this excellent conversion!!!   OH and GREAT JOB Vektorboson/EddyD on the textures.  Beautiful work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

This is definitely a helicopter that WAS REALLY NEEDED!!!  It has seen a tremendous amount of combat in Iraq and is perfect for hunter/killer missions or emergency air support missions.  

Ok...so far I've only tested the XEH version.  What I'm confused is why there are two versions.  Shouldn't the XEH version work fine by itself also???

At any rate, I did not get any errors flying the helicopter or in the gunner position.  I also put the helicopter into combat against my Taliban (with me playing one of the Taliban guys) and likewise did not see any error messages.

On the issue of the rotor sound, I did not hear any significant distortion.  They sounded pretty much how I remembered the Kiowa's sounding like in real life.  

My only BIG BIG beef with this helicopter is that the MG turns 380 degrees.  Please figure out how to lock the MG in a forward position.  I really hope that this is possible. Maybe I'll have a look at the config and see if I can figure something out.  

Let me know if I can help you on that.

Oh also, when you look straight down through the ball-mounted FLIR you can see through the roof of the helicopter and the gunner has no head.  lol.  So you might limit how far the FLIR/laser can move up and down just a little bit.

Aside from that, the only other problem I had was that the helicopter is tremendously armored (more then the BIS AH-1).  Since its so lightly armed, I guess its not a big deal, plus in real life, they stay in the air quite a bit longer then in ArmA (that goes for all helicopters in general).

But armor levels are up to you guys to decide.  Overall I find it a lovely little helicopter and I really hope that the MG can be locked into a forward position.  

I'm looking forward to the next version of this excellent conversion!!!   OH and GREAT JOB Vektorboson/EddyD on the textures.  Beautiful work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks mate,

I'm hoping some wiz will be able to come along and in 2 secs flat tell me how to keep the FLIR movement but restrict the gun to forward facing only.

I toyed around with restricting the gunner to hellfires and the laser and giving the FFAR and guns to the pilot only, now problem with that is the pilot can't override and use the hellfires or laser.

Feel free to have a look at whatever you like, anything that improves the addon all helps etc.

Current armour values:

Cobra - 60

UH60 - 30

Kiowa - 35

Ah6 - 20

MH6 - 20

I tried to pitch the damage to better than an AH6 but not as good as the cobra.

I'll tweak it further maybe use 25 or something.

Cheers

Southy

What is the difference between the XEH version and the other one? At first glance the only difference I could see is "Extended_Eventhandlers" added to requiredaddons= line. I may have missed something but I'm not sure XEH is even necessary, I didn't see any eventhandlers and the likes in the non-XEH version that would require the compatibility change.

I just did a quick glance at both versions so maybe I missed something.

These are great southy. Thanks again to you and all involved.

What is the difference between the XEH version and the other one? At first glance the only difference I could see is "Extended_Eventhandlers" added to requiredaddons= line. I may have missed something but I'm not sure XEH is even necessary, I didn't see any eventhandlers and the likes in the non-XEH version that would require the compatibility change.

I just did a quick glance at both versions so maybe I missed something.

These are great southy. Thanks again to you and all involved.

I normally make all my addons XEH compatible, I've not actually made one without scripts before.

When I did the first Kiowa release, I got worried it wouldn't work in XEH enviroment, so I made the second XEH version.

From my testing in ACE both work, but at least people can choose, if they don't have XEH installed they won't get a 'required addon error' etc.

Probably over kill but it took like 2 mins to do.

Southy

Hmm...  it may not be the armor that I noticed then...  because I saw two SA-7 missiles blow up in close proxmity to the Kiowa (which would have caused the ACE AH-1 Cobra to go into a tailspin).  For now maybe keep the armor how it is.  I'd rather not see it get shot down as easy as the little bird (which is just waaaay to easy to shoot down).  It's always pissed me off seeing the AH-6 and MH-6 last all of 40 seconds before getting shot down almost every time. Sometimes they'd get lucky and be able to make a second pass, but usually they never survive long enough to make a 3rd or 4th pass if there are alot of enemy fighters.

As for the MG issue... yeah that's a tough one.  I guess you already did what I was thinking of trying.   I really hope someone can help fix that issue.  Also you might ask the Mapfacts people about using their FLIR system that they use in their Apaches.  That would REALLY kick ass if the Kiowa had that on it.  It does alot to enhance the feeling of realism.

At any rate, it's awesome seeing the Little Bird circling overhead on the Avgani map as U.S. Army and Iraqi Army guys move down the streets searching for insurgents.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Sweet Jehosophat.

Thanks for this little beauty Southy.

Loved it in OPF and can't wait to run around in her in ARMA.

Styxx42

The ARMA.RPT shows some messages (using the non-XEH):

Quote[/b] ]In Vehicle: oh58\oh58d.p3d missing driver get in direction point

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58d.p3d missing codriver get in direction point

Error: bin\config.bin/CfgVehicles/OH58d/Turrets/MainTurret/: Turret body sensors_turret not found while initializing the model oh58\oh58d.p3d

In Vehicle: oh58\oh58d.p3d missing gunner get in direction point

I had some problems with the direction points in my tanks, too. Best way will be to copy them from the BI-samples MH6 and move them to the correct position.

Thanks for this beautifull addon  thumbs-up.gif

mike

Thank you for your hard work Southy. Been waiting for a Kiowa

awesome love it!

but would like to see a real xm296 .50 cal on there with a realistic firing rate/damage the minigun u got on there destroys tanks within seconds of firing unless thats just me plus just looks too small for the kiowa wink_o.gif

otherwise great heli

Theres something strange going on when you look down on the chopper through the allseeing eye  biggrin_o.gif

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd85/magicAAA/divers/oh58bug.jpg

Also the tailrotor 'rotates' quite funny, there might be something wrong with the centerpoint.

I've known about that from the start, thought it was very funny smile_o.gif

thanks for the reports guys keep em coming, makng a list for the first revision.

Things i'm looking to fix for next version:

force gun to fire from a fixed position.

reduce the firepower of the gun.

alter angle of the mast mounted sight, so it can longer see through the helo.

add damage textures

reduce the RPT errors where possible

get the cockpit textures looking better and working

and finally maybe make a few different versions, an unarmed one for spotting only, any suggestions.

Southy

Nice bird southy.

For the get in direction points il try to explane how they work:

x.jpg

greets

why did u lift the gun off the ah6 btw? and not just mount an m2 on there?

real reason is the Ah6 gun was there on the sample model and it took 1 minute to do.

Lots more work to be done on that gun I know.

Cheers

southy

Southy or Eble, in working on the turret system for the F-111 (haven't been working on it for a few weekls lately, life has been busy lately) I found that the guns will follow the turret movement despite the fact. I was thinking that maybe like the ACE mod Helos where the pilot has a seperate selection of weapons (7 FFAR on AH-1 for example) then the co-pilot or gunner. You could assign them accordingly so that the pilot himself has controls of the .50 Cal and the gunner has access to the other weapons that are guided (TOW's, HellFires Etc) not to mention the Laser Designator. This way I think the guns wont fall under the turret system that the Co-pilot has control of.

I just found some "free" time to pop in for a bit after giving the lovely lady some love on this Valentine's Day.

I'll check it out later as I'll be free for the next couple days and am going to get back on track with our F-111 PAVETACK project. But like you said ont aht...Turrets in jet aircraft seem to not work as we all would hope!

Sorry just been busy as of late.