Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Server ability : URL forwarding of MISSION content

Server ability : URL forwarding of MISSION content ?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Server ability : URL forwarding of MISSION content ?

• server admin/owner/donator/player + supporting this feature
    • anyone + against this feature (please explain why)

BIS can take place to provide, mirror for this files also :)

Maybe BIS can also consider Steam Workshop as a means for delivering maps and mods in ArmA III? It would definitely make it easier for people to manage mods and maps

As Banshee mentioned, having the feature available out of the box could be welcome,

yet you can have this already TODAY, incl Mod distribution, TeamSpeak server joining, and many many more things, by deploying Six Updater.

Many communities are already enjoying pain-free Many-Mod, Many-Mission, Many-Player games on their servers by deploying SU.

Give it a try yourself, while waiting for out-of-the-box functionality.

Edited by Sickboy

this feature is completely unrelated to both last posts .. why derail the thread?

it's about simple feature, simple way to make engine use instant miror (http/ftp) for just mission

IF mirror==true THEN downloadFROMmirror ELSE downloadASnow

IF mirrorERRORLEVEL THEN downloadASnow

simple, clean and dandy ... so please don't derail KISS concept thread with overcomplex solution (no matter how 'great')

So, this thread has been open for a little while. While six-updated has provided a decent way of delivering addons it has been shown that it is complex and people who are less technically savvy have a lot of problems using it. I would still prefer the automated delivery of addons and maps to the clients via other mechanisms.

Speaking of which, this thread has been open for a long time now, and by the vote results it seems like people would like that to be implemented. Any idea if anyone is working on that?

Awsome idea, i really hope it becomes reality.

Question:

Would ArmaHolic be one of the webhosts for missions? It seem like it would be an ideal place to have the FTP server, as its already in place.

But i dunno if it can handle this amount of traffic tbh.

It would just make sense to upload a mission to a centralized FTP, like ArmaHolic, insted of having 1000's of webhosts with different missions and stuff.

Im just thinking about the first guy who stuffs a keylogger/malware into a mission and uses a dodgy webhost to distribute it. Would that be to easy if its not centralized?

I have been playing since ArmA in 2007 and a huge supporter of Bohemia Interactive online and in person but have never used my forum account until now. When a friend told me about ArmA 2: Combined Operations End of Life (EOL) I had to login and the question on this topic, "How has this not be added by now"?

Of all possible features that are lacking from the engine that would be relatively easy for developers to implement, this is by far the most important and necessary. Not only in ArmA 3 but ArmA 2 AND Operation Arrowhead.

I find it astonishing that this has never been made a priority when it's such a serious problem for any server host with any kind of high player frequency and capacity.

ADD THIS FEATURE TO A2, OA & A3!

Despite this being an old thread i have up-voted both on this poll and the A3 feedback tracker. This would be a great feature and it's a shame it hasn't been added to any of the ArmA's by now. (6 years..)

If this does get worked on for A3 i believe it should be a necessity to add it for the A2: OA/CO EOL patch aswell! :cool: