Sign in to follow this  
sk3pt

The Hunter

Whoa, nice. Can you make maps for it?

-edit-

Doesn't look released yet :/

I hope we can drive a ATV and a pick-up truck, it would be fun to race them online,

like the old deer Hunter games

I've already heard about this game and it is unbelievable that it will be for free biggrin_o.gif Graphic is killing biggrin_o.gif Can't wait for it!

I wouldn't call it free, more like pay for content. I think in the future most games will be built upon this concept.

Quote[/b] ]It says free to play but then you talk about membership, how's that meant to work?

It's free to play! The free to play experience will be awesome - with your help of course. You will also be able to buy in-game items - better rifles and clothing for instance - and if you find that you do that a lot you might decide to get an even better deal by becoming a member (paying a subscription). It's up to you!

Mainly it'll be free but If you want some additional stuff you will have to pay smile_o.gif

That game looks like it needs a velociraptor.

Indeed, like the old carnivores games biggrin_o.gif.

But looks very nice not like the annual hunting games that looks the same over and over again (Hunting Unlimited 2 through 2008). smile_o.gif

Miss that old Carnivores Ice Age game smile_o.gif when even wolves were able to swim to you underwater and bite your head off =)

This looks damn awesome...... Lovin the trailer.. whistle.gif

The Hunter is now open !

Yeah I got a code on Monday I think, then they open it up to everyone the next day!

Sadly the beta is stuck to WASD with no key config so it's useless to lefties like me sad_o.gif

I'd really like so see this kind of graphics in an RPG, but shooting on animals who don't try to harm you in any way is a point I won't pass. crazy_o.gif

Responsible hunting is done to stop animals from hurting them self, by regulating the number of individual animals.

I accept that in real life. But doing this in a game servs only the satisfaction of lower insticts. Again, even those digital animals just try to live, why should you shoot them down?

Because you can. Animals are dumb as bread, and to drag any morality lines from killing an animal to killing a human being, is just silly in my opinion.

I'm not going to get further into the PETA discussion though.

Quote[/b] ]I'd really like so see this kind of graphics in an RPG, but shooting on animals who don't try to harm you in any way is a point I won't pass.

Agreed, that's exactly why i liked Carnivores 1/2/3 , i can't see how "The Hunter" will be delivering anything like hunting digital animals that makes it so the line between the hunter and the hunted is very blurry.

Hunting and killing bambi in every possible way is nothing like the Carnivores serie did as an experience, when you were after more or less big reptilian predators that could transform you into their next dessert if you made a single mistake in your approaches.

Having to face a T-rex charging in your direction was an experience all by itself, often lethal biggrin_o.gif

If you don't feel hunted in a hunting sim I won't even bother downloading this one, no matter how super it looks and how realistic weapons are =)

At least there should be cougars (*khm*) & bears. Nothing beats a classic "Carnivores: Ice Age" so far =)

I always get a "Server Capacity Full" every time i try to log in sad_o.gif

I really wanna try this out

I accept that in real life. But doing this in a game servs only the satisfaction of lower insticts. Again, even those digital animals just try to live, why should you shoot them down?

For fun icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a game, it harms nobody. As if killing people in a game like ArmA is morally better huh.gif

For fun icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a game, it harms nobody. As if killing people in a game like ArmA is morally better huh.gif

Those guys shoot back wink_o.gif

What are you guys discussing AI animal rights for?  rofl.gif RSPC"AI"A?  What's next - a petition against Arma 2's AI cows? I think the game was mentioned purely for it's graphics.

I tried this out to evaluate the graphics and it has exceptional detail. Environmental sound effects (like birds, and forest sounds, etc) are very effective too. Played at 6am so the dawn effects were emphasised.

Noticed a few cool things, which could apply to Arma2's hilly forests theme:

- the forests make use of a lot of moss covered (textured) slopes and rocks, which is essential for light restricted areas, although mushrooms were totally absent.

- when the wind blows it fans the grass fields with wave like effects. I presume it's directional too, so it would indicate the wind direction.

- In some areas, just as it starts to rain on hot ground, a fine ground mist forms

- the rain can fall at an angle, not always vertically

- the shoreline waves are quite effective and multi-layered

- the direct sunlight on objects (trees, hills, etc) are great. The area is very hilly, so some parts are lit up and others in the shade.

- sounds were lacking, but it had basic sounds when brushing past bushes

- the tall grass around you bends as you walk through it, but oddly, there is no collision detection for bushes or branches

Worth checking out as a graphical capabilities demo.

Tip: "Q" is auto-walk key.